Motoring Discussion > High speed Garmin Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: Fenlander Replies: 12

High speed Garmin - Fenlander
I mentioned a while back Mrs F bought me a new Garmin from Halfords for the Alfa once the C5 with integrated nav went back. Half way through a journey today I wandered onto the screen of logged speeds/mileages and was gobsmacked to see it had already travelled 4000+ miles with an average speed of around 460mph!

I guess it was shipped by aircraft and somehow left on in the box??
 High speed Garmin - jc2
Strapped on the wing so it could see satellites????
 High speed Garmin - Bromptonaut
They do occasionally get their knickers in a twist.

My walker's one is pretty good for most part but can give odd results and early positional error on switch on is corrected.

I've also had it record an afternoon stroll in Thornthwaite Forest as being 600 miles at 475mph.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 5 Feb 13 at 15:15
 High speed Garmin - DP
>> I've also had it record an afternoon stroll in Thornthwaite Forest as being 600 miles
>> at 475mph.

Come on, play fair. That's a brisk jog by any standards.
>>>I've also had it record an afternoon stroll in Thornthwaite Forest as being 600 miles at 475mph.

Ahh I wonder if they are prone to a 10x or 100x error? Not good though. In years of use at sea my handheld marine mapping unit has been 100% accurate.
 High speed Garmin - No FM2R
>> I wonder if they are prone to a 10x or 100x error?

Probably not. Since an error in Base 10 seems obvious to humans, but its not an obvious error to a computer.
 High speed Garmin - No FM2R
I wonder what would happen if it got its satellite fix, then was packed, and then got another fix when it was unpacked and thought - goodness me, I have traveled x miles in n minutes.
 High speed Garmin - Zero
I would lay you a few quid that they don't even get powered up till you buy it. Probably power up regular samples, so it may have been one of them.
 High speed Garmin - Old Navy
When I move my TomTom between locations switched off, it just takes a few seconds to figure out where it is when it is switched on, but does not register it as a journey.
 High speed Garmin - hawkeye
My Garmin showed an unlikely top speed last year. Not as dramatic as yours though
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=10934

High speed Garmin - lancara
From the Garmin forums:

"Its a known issue introduced on 18th July [2012] by accident. the raw data is correct but G[armin] C[onnect] is reporting it as exactly 100x the actual. The 705 forums have plenty of reports. It'll get sorted in the next update to the website. Its not you - I hit just over 5,000mph yesterday."

Have you updated recently?
Interesting it seems common with cyclists on the forums, not too much I can find about the car units suffering this issue.

Given this issue being apparently common I thought it odd my marine unit had never been less than 100% accurate but I suppose we are always in a perfect position for satellite reception with wide open sky above.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Tue 5 Feb 13 at 22:00
 High speed Garmin - Zero
>> Interesting it seems common with cyclists on the forums, not too much I can find
>> about the car units suffering this issue.
>>
>> Given this issue being apparently common I thought it odd my marine unit had never
>> been less than 100% accurate but I suppose we are always in a perfect position
>> for satellite reception with wide open sky above.

marine units are considerably better designed and made, as a crap one could lose a life or several. Plus they don't have to stick to some man made place (snap to a road) that may or may not be accurately plotted in its memory. Try using a car sat nav on a train for example, its really not happy, and they positively freak out in aircraft.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 5 Feb 13 at 22:35
Latest Forum Posts