Motoring Discussion > Two miles... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 22

Two miles... - Robin O'Reliant
...is a long way to push a motorcycle.

Just had a total electrical failure, too knackered to even pick up the manual yet.
 Two miles... - Runfer D'Hills
Oh dear Robin. Best have a fag then !

We've just returned from 28 miles of offroad forest trails on the mountain bikes. Very gloopy today. Hard work. First time I've been on mine for 3 weeks since my catherine wheel impression. Didn't take long for the realisation to dawn that in the interim I've become very unfit. Jelly legs, lungs feel like they've been on fire etc. Sort of enjoyed it though. Not sure why...Getting old.
 Two miles... - Fullchat
Two miles?!! You're my hero. Definitely need a sit down after that.
>> Two miles?!! You're my hero. Definitely need a sit down after that.
>>
Just had the sit down FC, plus the fag and a gallon of tea. There's a 30 amp main fuse on the starter relay which is the main suspect as the battery is fairly new.
 Two miles... - Ted

I was on the BMW a few years ago when I stopped on a pub car park near Market Drayton to phone home.

Couldn't get the thing started after that. I had the bike in bits, everything checked but a total mystery. Was just about to phone the rescue service when I noticed I'd hung my helmet on the handlebars, catching the engine kill switch........................

....................Dumbo or what ?

Ted

------------------------------
 Two miles... - No FM2R
was bumping it not an option?
>> was bumping it not an option?
>>
No, totally dead electrics. Not even the ignition lights were on, as I've said I think it's the main 30 amp fuse that blew. Haven't been 'arrised to check it out yet.

Thank God it's not a Gold Wing.
 Two miles... - Zero
Oh come on, some of it must have been downhill, stop being such a wimp.
 Two miles... - bathtub tom
>> Oh come on, some of it must have been downhill, stop being such a wimp.

And equally, as much would've been up!

I've been there with a Villiers 8E engined 'bike a few times. The blasted magneto would slip on the crankshaft, throwing the timing out.

It's the reason I first joined the RAC and after they let me down (again) the reason I left!
Actually the A40 out of Fishguard looks pan flat when you're driving, but pushing a dead lump of metal you soon find it ain't.
 Two miles... - ....
Sympathies RR, battery went on my wife's bike last autumn, what I couldn't work out was why. It was a new battery in the Spring. Connected up to the charger and flat as a you know what.

Took the side panel off and found heavily corroded connectors to the rectifier.
Recommissioning job before reconnecting the battery is new connectors and possibly a new rectifier as they are a known weak spot on the bike. I'll start with the connectors.

I was only a couple of streets away when the lights went out literally.
 Two miles... - R.P.
The GS has been in an Optimizer all winter - the Kwaker has been in use couple of times every month since November always started on the button - The Maj was started yesterday, no charger connection (never got round to it) - Did around 60 miles today - wil probably use the Kwaker for work tomorrow if the weather is a repeat of today. Had an OOOOOOOOOh Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit moment today but other wise a cracking winter run - had my "onesie" thing on underneath !
 Two miles... - ....
Both bike batteries have been given a top up this afternoon on the CTEK charger.

I would love to take the GSX-R out but snow and ice still hanging around.
I didn't mind taking the CBR out in this weather but I'm not risking the GSX-R as I fancy a few extra cubes. 750 swap for 1300 sounds good.
Car change is on hold as I may be getting a company motor.
Last edited by: gmac on Sun 3 Feb 13 at 20:27
 Two miles... - DP
I ran out of juice on my ZX7R a few years ago. In the mile or so I pushed the big old lump to the petrol station, no fewer than four other bikers stopped to see if I was OK.

Although very annoying and more than a little embarrassing, the experience kind of restored my faith in humanity.
 Two miles... - R.P.
I'll always stop for a seemingly stranded m/cyclist had it done for me now and again over the years.
 Two miles... - IJWS14
Checked the battery terminals?
>> Checked the battery terminals?
>>
First thing I did, clean and tight.

Be tomorrow before I get a chance to investigate properly.
 Two miles... - BobbyG
>>Had an OOOOOOOOOh Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit moment today but other wise a cracking winter run - had my "onesie" thing on underneath !

thats the benefit of the onesie - it would stop anything leaking out...as the phrase goes... fill yir boots!!!
 Two miles... - TeeCee
Did that with an 850 Commando once.
Rather more heavy-gauge steel tubing and lumps of pig-iron in one of those than you'll find in your modern machinery.
 Two miles... - zookeeper
my honda cb 750 dohc would always let me down in the cold weather, electric starter would stick and miss the flywheel gear, as there was no kickstarter the only option was a bump start
how i ever managed it then i dont know..wouldnt want to go through all those cold weather theatricals again
It was the main fuse.

And guess what's sitting in the fuse box under the seat? Yep, a spare 30A fuse, two minute job if you take your time.

Live and learn.
 Two miles... - bathtub tom
Tell us, how long were you pushing the /@&^^%$ thing compared to how long it took you to find the problem and cure?

I'm sure we've all been there!
>> Tell us, how long were you pushing the /@&^^%$ thing compared to how long it
>> took you to find the problem and cure?
>>
>> I'm sure we've all been there!
>>

X 20 :-(
Latest Forum Posts