Motoring Discussion > Porsche - Borrowing a Boxster
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 37

Porsche - Borrowing a Boxster - legacylad
A friend of mine is off to sunnier climes tomorrow for a few weeks. Tonight he asked me a favour. Could I drive his Boxster whilst he is away? It lives outside and he tells me the battery goes flat pretty quickly ie within 2 weeks.
I have no idea what model it is, apart from being 4 yo and having covered only 16k miles from new.
My insurance with IAM Surety covers me third party but methinks I had better contact the insurers and find out how much fully comp will cost for a short duration. If reasonable, and when it warms up, I could be going for a long drive, or three.
 Porsche - Borrowing a Boxster - bathtub tom
tinyurl.com/ayk78fm
 Porsche - Borrowing a Boxster - Armel Coussine
Heh heh... it may not be a 917 but don't try conclusions with midengined handling in the wet, very quick it is emphatically said. But it's sure to be designed to be inherently forgiving within its limits and terrific fun.

Nice friend that. He must trust you.
 Porsche - Borrowing a Boxster - No FM2R
much fully comp will cost for a short duration

Well by all means try, however you'd almost certainly be better getting your friend to add you as a temporary additional driver to his policy.

If you don't wish to do that, and your insurer gives you grief, try short term insurance from Aviva.

Watch the excess amount you get stuck with if it goes on your own policy. You might only have a small excess, but on temporary, high performance vehicles they can be silly.
 Porsche - Borrowing a Boxster - Auristocrat
Some insurers have withdrawn the facility to drive other cars under third party cover - I'd be inclined to double check the policy/certificate of insurance.
 Porsche - Borrowing a Boxster - Meldrew
www.insure4aday.co.uk/
 Porsche - Borrowing a Boxster - Boxsterboy
Hey, that is one GOOD friend. It will be well worth your while to sort the insurance, those Boxster engines take an awfully long time/miles to warm up, know what i mean? ;/))

Seriously though, yes the batteries do drain quickly if not used.

You will sure to have fun!
 Porsche - Borrowing a Boxster - Mike Hannon
My friend has a couple of Z3s, a 2.8 and a 1.9. He is often away in the world's trouble spots so I exercise them for him. I am named as temporary or 'permanent' extra driver for them as required. Better safe than sorry.
 Porsche - Borrowing a Boxster - rtj70
In this weather, won't it be safer/better to take the battery out and put it on charge for him when he gets back ;-)

I'd be wary about driving it third party only. Those one day type insurance deals might make some sense. But you're limited how many times you can drive a particular car within a period I think.
 Porsche - Borrowing a Boxster - Bromptonaut
If he wants you to drive it he really needs to get you on his insurance as an extra driver.
As expected I can drive his car 3rd party on my own insurance (my insurers are IAM Surety). Too late to go on his insurance now...he asked me to drive it the night before he flew.
My friend is not really into cars...it is 8yo not 4 as he thought! Its a 55plate S model, with the 3.2 engine i think, so similar to my '04 330 performance wise.
Currently under 6" of snow but will have a closer look after the anticipated big thaw, and drive it v carefully. He bought it just pre Xmas and paid his brother £14k.
He tells me the heated seats dont work and the roof leaks. Pah.At least it has a tarp over it.
>> Its
>> a 55plate S model, with the 3.2 engine i think, so similar to my '04
>> 330 performance wise.
>>

I've never driven a BMW 330, but I'm sure the Boxster S will be a much more enjoyable drive.
 Porsche - Borrowing a Boxster - Mapmaker
Cheaper solution which doesn't put you at risk. Solar battery trickle charger. Something like this?

www.amazon.co.uk/Solar-Battery-Charger-ideal-Caravans/dp/B000R0UBT8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359373759&sr=8-1

Porsche - Borrowing a Boxster - WillDeBeest
Third-party cover for other vehicles is really only for emergencies, when the consequence of doing nothing is greater than the potential loss from driving without comprehensive insurance. Your friend has put you in an awkward position by asking you to drive the car without providing the insurance cover you need to do it.

I'd risk the flat battery, which would hardly be a disaster; my old Volvo's nine-year-old battery was flat last June after we'd been away for two weeks in the LEC, but the AA got it started and we've had no trouble since.
Picked up the Boxster S today and took it for a decent run. Pumped lots of air into the tyres, its on 19" rims with new Conti's, filled the washer bottle and checked the oil (what, no dipstick).
I must be getting old because i prefer the turbine smoothness of my BM straight 6 to the Boxsters 3.2. Lovely supportive seats, excellent driving position, but the interior is not quite up to the quality of the 330 in my humble opinion.
Although I have only had a few hours in the S, the Q aspect of the BM is more to my taste. It goes well enough, but not used all 280 horses yet, nor do I expect to. There is more luggage storage than expected and I assume its on runflats.
Overall, slightly disappointed first impression, but it might grow on me.....
>> There is more luggage storage than expected and I assume its on runflats.

Possibly/probably not. A can in the car somewhere to inflate and temporarily repair. But don't assume run flats.

So you've driven it today. Once more or maybe twice and then surely leave it be. You're tempting fate....

And why did you have to pump up the tyres? The battery runs flat you say... it seems the tyres do to!
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 30 Jan 13 at 00:24
 Porsche - Borrowing a Boxster - Fenlander
>>>Once more or maybe twice and then surely leave it be. You're tempting fate....

Agreed. You're brave taking that Boxster out with what sounds like a somewhat iffy maintenance history.

I've just helped a cousin with a £5k budget buy a used convertible and Boxsters were one of several models I checked out. We took them off the list after reading about the rare but ever present possibility of instant engine destruction due to bore liner or timing shaft/bearing/chain failure.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Wed 30 Jan 13 at 10:32
>> >> There is more luggage storage than expected and I assume its on runflats.
>>
>> Possibly/probably not.
>>

Mine (2003) had a space-saver in the front boot.

The best bit about the Boxster (when the tyres are pumped up :-) ) IMHO is the steering feel. And you don't need to drive fast to enjoy that bit.
Last edited by: Boxsterboy on Wed 30 Jan 13 at 20:23
See the warning signs...the past few evenings after work I've walked home and taken it out for an hour.
Not silky smooth BM 6 cyl territory, not practical (no towbar) harsher ride than the 330 and not as much fun as my old Elise '97 (first MLC) but its growing on me. First reg Sept '95, no history since '09 2007 but just lovely to drive.
When my pal gets home next week and has to offload it , and offers (maybe) a straight swap for my '04 330Ci soft top. with FSH and 56k miles....running costs such as mpg and insurance are not an issue....decisions decisions.
Decisions... decisions. If you like it get one that is in good condition, does not run the battery down when parked, roof not leaking, etc..... Don't be silly and go for this car. Keep the BMW.

It is now sounding like he left this car with you with the intention of selling/swapping it with you.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 1 Feb 13 at 23:02
Yes but yes but
My 330 Ci is probably worth £8k in a private sale (I never ever use dealers). A straight swap leaves me a fair bit of leeway to get it properly sorted in a 'man maths' sort of way. The cheapest '55 plate S i have seen, with low miles, is around £14k. And if it has a major service.. and is already on 4 new Conti's with 12 months tax & ticket.
So you were interested in this car and hence the loan it seems?

I'd keep the BMW. This 4 year old 55 plate car sounds of dubious reliability to me. And is it really 16k miles?

You also said: "He bought it just pre Xmas and paid his brother £14k." and you reckon yours is worth £8k. If he does go for a swap, what are you missing! He must know now it's about to cost him more than the £6k difference.

So yes swap! ;-) You like spending rather than saving.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 1 Feb 13 at 23:48
Why is it of dubious reliability? I have now driven it for about 8 hours this week and it has not broken down. The mileage is genuine. I know absolutely zilch about Porsches, apart from presumably expensive parts, but surely they are not too high tech and unreliable as for instance Ferraris and their ilk.

If he did agree to a straight swap, then a theoretical £6k in depreciation between mid Dec '12 and Feb '13 would make me sick as a parrot. I paid £10k for my 330 three years ago and £1k pa depreciation abhors me!!
...I have now driven it for about 8 hours this week and it has not broken down.

You're not seriously suggesting that proves its reliability, are you, LL? I daresay even some recent Renaults could manage that much.
I was just being facetious.
My head is now firmly back in control of the situation.
Herman the German (as I call my 330) can sleep easy.
Ah, that's all right then. Hard to tell sometimes in this place!
}:---)

Herman the German
Are you a Scorpions fan too? Blackout was one of the rediscovered vinyl gems I alluded to in last weekend's 'Satisfaction' thread. Yesterday I found in our Oxfam Books and Music shop a copy of Animal Magnetism whose sleeve looks as if the first owner's dog took the title literally. The LP inside, in complete contrast, is close to pristine; certainly good enough for £3.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Sun 3 Feb 13 at 10:35
Owner of the Boxster S returns from his hols Thursday so out for a final blast tomorrow...will do my best to almost empty the tank!
And i thought the Scorpion (apart from the obvious) was a lightly armoured military vehicle. Im out of touch with music seemingly.
 Porsche - Borrowing a Boxster - ....
When I first read this thread I thought why risk taking out a vehicle which the owner knows has a defect.
Thanks to rtj70 we see there is an alternative reason.
Have you priced up a towbar for a Boxster ? I've seen the optional roof bars for a Cayman but not a towbar.
To the best of my knowledge, the owner, a friend of mine, knew of no defect s with the vehicle, apart from the heated seats not working.
There is nowt in the service book since Sept 2007 but that doesnt mean it has had no attention in the intervening 5 and a bit years. The tyre pressures were wrong and the screen wash needed filling.
My local Porsche dealer informs me it is not homolgated to have a towbar fitted, as per the MX5, hence me buying the 330 which now has a towbar...my cement mixer had to go somewhere!
 Porsche - Borrowing a Boxster - ....
Not implying or insinuating anything in my reply. For all I know the owner may be your longest, bestest known mate in all eternity. The facts are there's a Boxster of dubious age (4 years on a 55 plate unexplained) with a dodgy battery which needs a kick every 10 days or so.
Where would you hang your trailor ?
I must confess I recently looked at a Cayman when thinking about getting rid of my S60.
>> not homolgated to have a towbar fitted, as per the MX5, hence me buying the 330

I'd have loved to have seen an MX-5 towing a cement mixer! :-)
When I was a callow corporate youth I was told the story of a colleague who filled in the company car order form - on paper in those days - for a 'Toyota MR2 T-bar', the one with the two-piece removable roof. And you can guess what turned up. True? Corporate folklore? I've no idea - but Toyotas last a long time, so perhaps it's still out there if LL needs a mid-engined cement mixer tug.
I do like my soft tops, but finding one where a tow bar can be fitted has been awkward. A trailer is necessary as i cannot afford to run two vehicles. Until a few years ago when 'in trade' my VW LWB HiRoof Transporter was far better than a trailer, but i sold it 12 months after selling my business. I owned it for 9 years and became attached to it!

Not being able to fit a towbar (legally) to a soft top is a deal breaker.
Its now safely home & garaged at my pal's....as there was still 3 gallons of gas remaining I couldn't resist a final fling late this afternoon on my day off. Dry roads, good viz, so a blast from Settle to Hawes and back on known territory.
Despite the redline being an indicated 8k I baulked at thrashing it and stopped at 6.5 in the lower gears. It really does make a lovely noise under hard acceleration, and the handling puts my 330 to shame.
I bet its the first time it had a large pressure washer and hose in its front 'boot'. Didn't seem to affect the balance! No idea what the mpg was, and still plenty of tread on the rear Contis. At 265/35/19 I would imagine they are quite expensive to replace.
You stopped at 6,500?! That's when they start to really come on strong!
 Porsche - Borrowing a Boxster - PhilW
"You stopped at 6,500?! That's when they start to really come on strong!"
Yeah but........ I heard recently that some electronic gizmo on 911s records the highest revs the car has been run at. If it is over 8k then it cannot be sold on by a Porsche dealer with a warranty. Now this might be complete BS of course and also might not apply to Boxsters. No doubt someone on here will know the truth!! If above true it also begs the question as to why there isn't a rev limiter at 8k.
 Porsche - Borrowing a Boxster - Alastairw
There will no doubt be a revlimiter at 8k (or whatever). But that won't stop you dropping it into second at 90mph, causing a significant over-rev situation.
6.5k revs in second and third is more than sufficent for me thank you very much.
Yep, I suppose you could call me chicken cluck cluck, but everything happens pretty fast even in those low gears.
Latest Forum Posts