Motoring Discussion > Comfort not speed these days Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Lemma Replies: 32

Comfort not speed these days - Lemma
Hello all, I rarely post these day since coming over from the other side. I travel a lot and am not able to continue a thread, but I enjoy browsing from time to time and appreciating the wisdom of others.

I have a Prius which I have had for 2.5 years, it runs like clockwork and has all the toys and in that time I have added 65k to when I bought it at 3 years of age and 24k. Petrol automatic and 53mpg, great sound system, pretty roomy, cheap to service and now the but - it is chronically uncomfortable. After 2 hours or so in the driving seat I get pain and aching across the shoulders and in my neck. Last week I did 4 hours on the Thursday and again on the Friday so in that week did 600+ miles. I spent the weekend in significant discomfort and popping ibuprofen. For various reasons, aged parents/job etc, my mileage will not diminish and may well increase substantially for a period. I have tried all sorts of seat/wheel configurations but have decided that with 90k on the clock and six years of age it might well be time to move the Prius on.

I drive SWMBO’s mark 2 Yaris occasionally and it immediately feels better and more comfortable. The seat is more supportive and the sit up and beg style seems to suit. So I am considering swapping for a newish mark 2 Yaris diesel as a short term fix. Comfort, economy, safety and reliability are important to me and this looks like a good immediate option. In due course I would trade my wife’s car and she would take this newer one on for herself. However before I go rushing in I would welcome some thoughts as to what else might suit either now or later after a Yaris interlude.

With two grandchildren I did think something like a diesel Qashqai + 2 might be good. A squash for the kids but they are small enough not to worry when we have family days out, nice and upright and economical enough with the 1.5 diesel. I gather the 1.6 diesel is better but they look very pricey at the moment. I am not too taken with Volvos despite their reputation for comfort, I am also aware of their reputation for cambelt and tensioner problems. I had an Octavia at one time which was OK, worthy but oh so dull and the VW issue of cambelt replacement at some cost. Style and badge don’t worry me, and other thoughts are a Hyundai ix35 with the 1.7 diesel or maybe a Ceed diesel estate with all that lovely warranty. Maybe go to the other end of the scale and 520d estate (I need the space) but a budget eater and more miles on the clock for the money, not struck on this idea but a possibility. So seven seats would be a nice to have, but top of the list is something that is comfortable, sit up and beg or otherwise, for somebody who is 6’ 4” and 15 stone and in the Northampton/Milton Keynes area. Current value of the Prius perhaps 4k as a px. I am happy to add 8k to this and possibly more for the perfect solution. A Yaris trade would give me a three year old car with 20 to 30k for another 4k or so, and a car immediately available locally if I want to go that route. So not a lot of money and hardly a risk. This is a very real problem for me and I would welcome the wisdom of crowds.

Thanks, Lemma
 Comfort not speed these days - -
I haven't driven them for long distance but i found current Avensis always comfortable and a really lovely car to drive, smooth as silk auto box too...we'd probably have one now but for the dratted electric handbrake.

I see you live in our region, well i'm in Kettering, if you don't already use them i will recommend without hesitation Syms Toyota at Northampton.

You're undervaluing your current Prius by a considerable margin IMO.
 Comfort not speed these days - Boxsterboy
I don't understand how you can compare a Yaris against a Quashqui +2, or a BMW520 estate??

I too find a sit up and beg driving position more comfortable than a more reclining one, and there are more and more cars around with this these days. I know the iX35 is related to the Kia Sportage, and it may well share that cars uncomfortable ride? From my rides in minicab Priuses I know they are uncomfortable things.
 Comfort not speed these days - Zero
At least 5k trade in for the prius, possibly more.
 Comfort not speed these days - Bromptonaut
Berlingo/Partner or Fiat equivalent?

Ours is previous model but driving position is excellent; perfectly comfortable for 600miles form Calais to Alps/Massif.
 Comfort not speed these days - WillDeBeest
I think one thing you get when you buy a 'premium' make is more attention paid to the seats than the M&S brands can afford: better adjusters and different grades of padding in different areas.

If you're tall, it also pays to pick something from a nation of taller people; the Dutch don't have a car industry, but the Germans and Swedes do and their offerings are significantly more comfortable than the opposition from France, Italy or Japan. I mean the seats themselves, with decent thigh support and backrests that reach the shoulders. And - and I've got one of each - the Swedes do it better than the Germans.

I've also owned one Toyota and driven many more, including the Avensis and the Yaris and found none better than adequate for comfort. The Verso might fit the OP's package needs, and the seats are, well, adequate, but hard and with poor height adjustment, but it's jiggly and fatiguing over long distances and we never warmed to ours. It did 37,000 miles in four years; it's certainly not a 20,000-a-year car.

I don't honestly think any MPV bus is; they are all compromised by the suspension stiffening required to keep them upright, although the Ford S-Max comes honourably close to car standards. Mazda 5, VW Sharan, Touran - same problem. Let's see how Dutchie gets on with his C4 Grand Piano.

Last point for Lemma: shorter paragraphs, please. That first tract took an awful lot of reading.
}:---)
 Comfort not speed these days - Stuu
If it is a pain rather than discomfort issue, maybe a trip to the physio before a trip to the dealer. It may also be that your driving position may feel right but isnt doing you any good.
>> standards. Mazda 5, VW Sharan, Touran - same problem. Let's see how Dutchie gets on
>> with his C4 Grand Piano.

Disagree heavily with you on one of those. The Touran seats, ride and comfort were first class, did London to Glasgow in one hit (minus a wee break)with no comfort or fatigue issues.

The touran rode and handled far better than it had a right to. In all other respects it was a pile of poo.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 22 Jan 13 at 20:46
I may have got that one wrong, Z. I do remember travelling back from Brighton in a colleague's Touran a couple of years ago and thinking it was more comfortable than the Verso. We didn't consider it in 2008 because I couldn't fit behind the wheel - and, curiously, because I knew how unimpressed a certain TourVanMan had been with his.
Thanks for the thoughts and comments all. Sorry about the paragraphs, my job involves dense writing. I will try harder. Thanks for the thought of the Avensis GB, I am on the Roade side of the M1, and a dedicated Sims fan as our two Toyotas bought there testify. Never experienced service from a dealer as i have from them, just brilliant.

Several comments about the value of the Prius, interestingly it was Sims who valued it at 4k as a possible trade in. Disappointing but it does have around 90k on the clock. I found out the Rav 4 I was looking at had no spare tyre, just a can of slop. A quick google reveals some real horror stories with regard to Rav tyres so goodnight Vienna there.

Thinming about driving position I have tried everything, it is just uncomfortable. I also visit Witty, Pask and Buckingham and will be going again soon. Locals to Northampton will recognise them as excellent physios. I have to admit lots of computer work doesn't help.

BB, you don't understand how I can compare these various vehicles. Well, why would you, you are not me, but a word of explanation. I have owned both Yaris and BMW 5 series and find them comfortable, I raise the idea of the Qashquai as a sit up and beg, larger alternative. I put the comfort of the Yaris down to its sit up and beg format. I didn't find the Volvo estate I had once that great but it was a 940, nor the MB W124, every time it went in for a service there was a list of things that needed doing next time as well.

I hadn't thought of a Berlingo/Partner but am prepared to consider anything that is comfortable and fits my various other criteria, so thank you for that idea. I will take a look at the Avensis, a Toyota too so fits with the excellent local dealer. Maybe a look at the Swedish option as well and review my concern about cambelts as well. A Touran never crossed my mind, but my brother in Aus hearing about the snow said cut the nonsense and get a 4WD Tiguan, never thought of one of those either.

Looking at a nearby Yaris this weekend, and if a really good deal is to be done then I could well be tempted. But it will have to be 5k for the p/x - see, you have made me a grand already, virtual pints all round!

Thanks, Lemma
 Comfort not speed these days - Auntie Lockbrakes
Sounds like you ought to be able to stick with Toyota and lean on that excellent dealer to make you a good deal!

How about a used Auris? Logically a bit more comfy than a Yaris on longer runs? More space for the grandkids in the back. Slightly taller car with a more upright driving position? And with the new model just released, prices of the old model should be dipping now?
 Comfort not speed these days - corax
>> Thanks for the thought of the Avensis GB,

By all means try an Avensis (I've got one), but I think you'll find the Yaris more comfortable if you're tall. I'm not particularly at 5'11" but I find the Yaris more comfortable because the pedals are lower in relation to the seat, compared to my car. I do have slight sciatica though.

I did notice that the new shape Avensis has longer seat squabs. That may be an improvement.
 Comfort not speed these days - TeeCee
"Old shape" Prius seats are well known to be rubbish. I have one on fleet and best results are obtained by adjusting the seat to sit bolt upright, but they really need lumbar support and wheel rather than lever adjustment. The ones on the new version are way better, but still lever adjusted.

The recommended fix over on priuschat.com is to pick up a pair of secondhand Volvo seats (have a look over there for which ones), which drop straight in with no other modifications required.
Intriguing! While we're mixing and matching, what else can we have? I nominate the two-stage sun visor from the Mercedes E and the starship handbrake from the S-Max. And someone must make something with a decent place to clip my sunglasses so they don't fall into the footwell on small roundabouts.

>> And someone
>> must make something with a decent place to clip my sunglasses so they don't fall
>> into the footwell on small roundabouts.
>

renault do, but you might have some other issues......
 Comfort not speed these days - madf
>>
>> >> And someone
>> >> must make something with a decent place to clip my sunglasses so they don't
>> fall
>> >> into the footwell on small roundabouts.
>> >
>>
>> renault do, but you might have some other issues......
>>

Bluetack.
 Comfort not speed these days - Alanovich
Face plus nose.

EDIT: Oh. And ears.
Last edited by: Alanović on Wed 23 Jan 13 at 12:39
 Comfort not speed these days - Crankcase
Prius has a roof cubby hole above the mirror for your sunglasses.
tinyurl.com/ay4hg2p

shows the dumb uninitiated how to retain unwanted glasses.
Fine if you don't mind your glasses being driven into your chest by the airbag.
My glasses fold and bend.

Are yours made from Irn Bru girders? :-)
 Comfort not speed these days - TeeCee
>> And someone
>> must make something with a decent place to clip my sunglasses so they don't fall
>> into the footwell on small roundabouts.
>>

It's quite simple. Austin Rovers got it dead right with the Metro and continued the practice in subsequent cars. A large flat area set into the dash top with a nice, grippy rubber mat on it.
Put object on dash shelf. Object then stays put and remains easily to hand at all times. Also cleaning up spills, misplaced wine gums / lollipops and such can be accomplished by taking the mat indoors and scrubbing it under the tap.

So ruddy brilliant and simple that I am continually amazed that nobody else has followed suit.
 Comfort not speed these days - Ted

I use these...cheap and don't leave any residue. I think the Yanks developed them for use in the Space Shuckle.

tinyurl.com/au8gxjo

You can wash and dry them and they stay sticky.

As sticky as when Sticky the stick insect got stuck to a sticky bun !

Ted
Thanks Ted

Great idea.

Ordered one.
 Comfort not speed these days - NeilS
Thanks Ted, had to order two to get one free as I can't resist a multi-buy
 Comfort not speed these days - -
Yes indeed ordered 3 (buy 2 get one free yeah), cheers Ted, just what i need in the lorry to stop me phones pens and glasses flying all over the shop, when i get the new MAN they'll be sorely tested as most bits and pieces go airborn at some point almost every day such is the ride.

hmm reckon that ebayer might be Ted.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Thu 24 Jan 13 at 13:08
 Comfort not speed these days - Ted

HeHe...Cash on collection only please !

Don't put paper on them...most of it stays on when you try to remove it. I just washed it off under the tap and slapped it on a kitchen cupboard door to dry. It will hold a phone but anything like that with a large surface area can end up dragging the pad off the dash.

I use mine in the Vitara for sunglasses, pens, a couple of pound coins, an ickle model of the Jowett and a few other bits.

Never enough room for stuff in a working vehicle !

Ted
 Comfort not speed these days - Duncan
Stephen Khoo used to sell them. Has he stopped?

Not his, someone else.

tinyurl.com/bya6t7b
Last edited by: Duncan on Thu 24 Jan 13 at 14:47
Hi Folks,

thanks for your comments. NickinNZ, yes an excellent dealer but we are moving South in the not too distant future so will sadly lose his services. an Auris would definitely not do it for me, I am sorry to say. I will be in Auckland in a few weeks, and will be making my pilgrimage to the Wine Loft in Shortland Street which always kicks off our visits. Cant wait! The Avensis suggested by GB looks rather middle of the road and the diesel is really not that economical.

TeeCee, thanks for confirming it is the seats and not me. I did check out Priuschat and fitting S80 seats is interesting, but then there will be all sort of complications with airbags, insurance etc. I have adjusted the seat to an upright position and will see how it goes, but SWMBO's Toyota is immediately more comfortable.

Finally i did visit a couple of dealers this afternoon and was indeed offered £4.5k+ in p/x, so getting towards the £5k suggested and of course there is a slight, ahem, scratch and even modest crack on the rear bumper.

I have also learnt how to retain pound coins and sundry items on the dashboard, and have even written in short paragraphs. I am now going to reward myself with a large glass of red whilst contemplating next steps.

Cheers all, Lemma
Bravo! And good luck.
 Comfort not speed these days - Auntie Lockbrakes
Hi Lemma - my weekday digs are just around the corner from Shortland Street in Auckland. Ping me an email if you want to split a bottle of Otago pinot noir one evening :-)

If you're renting a car whilst in NZ, you'll be pleased to here that most of 'em are Corolla/Auris..!
Now I just love Otago Pinot, very happy memories of a visit to the Gibbston winery. Had a wonderful bottle of Rimu Grove from marlborough in the Wineloft one time and when on a visit to Blenheim a year or two later actually found the winery. Called in to buy a few bottles but the boss had gone to Auckland and taken the only key to the store with him. May be more sense in that than I thought at the time.

If we rent a car we used to get one of those knackered old nissans from Apex down on Beach Road, but they went upmarket so now I slog on round to Juicy, they have equally clapped out nissans, but cheap! At two dollars to the pound NZ is not quite the bargain it used to be, but worth every cent. Sadly only in town for three nights as en route to Aus for a wedding, but had a few days spare and couldn't resist a quick visit to see friends. maybe catch up with you!

Cheers, Lemma
Lemma said" I have also learnt how to retain pound coins and sundry items on the dashboard, and have even written in short paragraphs"

Thanks for that.

Much more readable. I refuse on principle - and eyesight - to read paragraphs longer than approx 10 lines.

And usually there is a change of subject in the middle as well of long ones!
Latest Forum Posts