Motoring Discussion > Toyota Carina II - First Impressions
Thread Author: Stuu Replies: 1

Toyota Carina II - First Impressions - Stuu
No Im not changing it!

We have decided that short of a major breakdown, we will keep it till next year, then review things and decide if we want to change it or keep it another year.

Overall, Im quite happy with it. Economy obviously isnt in the same ballpark as my Charade was, but its doing between 35-40 mpg which is respectable for what it is, esp being an auto.
Ive taken to pottering along in it rather than racing along as it doesnt suit the old girl to be rushed. Ive madde a big effort to drive with economy in mind with this tank of fuel, just to see if it makes any appreciable difference. Jury is still out!

Problems... well the drivers window is a bit wonky so its best to just leave it up and use the other 3, there is a worn bush on the OSR but it just means the occasional clonk, but passed the MOT so ill leave it till next year. The coolant is the colour of muddy water so this will be changed in due course, but its not overheating so I expect this is how its been for many years.
Only real notable issue is the oil seals seem to be past their best with a puff of blue smoke when you first start it in the morning, but it clears after a second and its not using any visable amount of oil - I was told by another Toyota owner that they had this and did another 100k with this symptom so Im just keeping an eye on the oil level as one would anyway.

It handles and rides OK, its nothing special but it feels planted and the steering while light, seems to have a quick rack so theres not much wheel spinning to get about in city streets.
I love the space inside, the boot space is huge and useful and I do like the velour seats because they hold you in the seat and you dont slide around which I like!

Overall Im glad I bought it because I could have bought a newer car for more money, but it may have had just as many niggles and none of the ones on this car bother me enough to make me move it on, so its been a sweet buy. I expect it will be easy enough to sell when I do sell it as it will likely still have less than 100k on the clock and it is a glossy old thing. Hopefully ill get my money back and go again with something else.

Pretty happy camper :-)

Toyota Carina II - First Impressions - Lygonos
>> Overall Im glad I bought it because I could have bought a newer car for more money <<

Or kept a better but smaller car for no money...

However it won't harm your business if you show up in a gleaming 20yr old bus - lets the punters see what can be achieved ;-)
Latest Forum Posts