Motoring Discussion > Low bridges again. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 25

Low bridges again. - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-20937659

Pat, Well said!
 Low bridges again. - Zero

"The Professional Drivers Foundation (PFD) said drivers could be trying to "have a go" at fitting through.

PFD? pink fluffy dice? lolololol
 Low bridges again. - Dave_
I'll have a look on my way to Whaley Bridge next time I get that run, see exactly what signs are in place. If the bridge is lower than 11 foot 9 I'll be on the news too.
 Low bridges again. - crocks
I think you should be alright Dave. Definitely signed at 15 foot 9 inch.
goo.gl/maps/0U2jK

Although not a very big sign for a bridge hidden around a bend. I hope there are some larger ones further from the bridge.
 Low bridges again. - henry k
>>Although not a very big sign for a bridge hidden around a bend.
>>I hope there are some larger ones further from the bridge.

It also looks a little low down for the target audience :-(
Looks like a non Uk Truck to me
 Low bridges again. - -
Lorry looks too high for a foreigner to me Z, but happy to be wrong.

Eventually, i hope, the insurance companies and the govt will insist that a vocational drivers insurance/accident record be electronically recorded and able to be linked to by genuine potential employers via some sort of agreement.

As it is they can flit from job to job causing mayhem, unless someone actually tells a potential employer what they are really like (with all the trouble that could cause) negligent damage like this will only increase in frequency.
 Low bridges again. - Bromptonaut
Why have the lorries rolled over, both in almost exactly the same place?

As a daily rail traveller I've seen my share of bridge bashes but never one that's caused the lorry to topple.
 Low bridges again. - Manatee
Because they struck the beam at an angle.
 Low bridges again. - -
They roll cos the bridge is at an oblique angle to the road, if the trailer body is fairly strong or loaded the side force is enough to force it over instead of it collapsing as it runs along the bridge.
>> Lorry looks too high for a foreigner to me Z, but happy to be wrong.

You're right

www.matlockmercury.co.uk/news/local-news/road-closed-after-lorry-smash-at-ambergate-1-4810846
 Low bridges again. - -
That looks nasty, went down with a hell of bang.

That's one Invicta that wasn't undefeated.
Appropriate name for the nearby pub.
>> Looks like a non Uk Truck to me
>>

Seen an identical one to yesterday's BBC News photo this morning, belongs to these:

www.carpenter.com
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Tue 8 Jan 13 at 06:56
 Low bridges again. - Pat
Thanks Henry.

I was already aware of the accident and familiar with the bridge when she rang me but I was still at a loss to be able to defend the driver in any way.

It's not a nice position to be in and I will be slated for it on a lot of lorry driver forums.

Just to add to what GB has said, he didn't approach the bridge aware of it, and trying to get under slowly for it to have turned over.

There is a road back up on the right he could have stopped and reversed into to turn round.
It's not big and roomy but it's surprising where you can turn an artic round when you have to.

He has a bridge height indicator in his cab by law, and that should have been set correctly and in his view.

Proper drivers check any route on a bridge height map (£6.50) if they have a trailer of more than 13' 9'' behind them before they leave.

My own feelings: maybe they have a fleet of trailers all around 14' high but have a couple of taller ones, as we do, and it very easy to forget you have a double decker on when it only happens every 3 months or so.

Pat

Low bridges again. - Duncan
>> I was already aware of the accident and familiar with the bridge when she rang
>> me but I was still at a loss to be able to defend the driver in any way.
>>
>> It's not a nice position to be in and I will be slated for it
>> on a lot of lorry driver forums.

So!

You are expected to defend the lorry driver and say that he was in the right, even when he is quite clearly in the wrong?
 Low bridges again. - Harleyman

>>
>> You are expected to defend the lorry driver and say that he was in the
>> right, even when he is quite clearly in the wrong?
>>

Not by all; but TBH HGV drivers get criticised for even being on the roads by the vast majority of the public, so it's perhaps understandable that some tend to take a dim view when one of their own is seen to turn on them, even if the reasons are sound and justified.

I know that road very well BTW. I totally agree with Pat's comments, any half-decent driver would've planned his route better, and even if he had encountered that bridge, dealt with it better.

Bridge strikes are far more common in the UK than in Europe, where there is a maximum trailer height of 4 metres. I am personally of the opinion that the vast majority of those bridge strikes could be avoided by a combination of better route planning (both by the operator and the driver) better driver observation and most importantly, less pressure on the driver to always go by the shortest cheapest route.
 Low bridges again. - John H
>> It's not a nice position to be in and I will be slated for it
>> on a lot of lorry driver forums.
>>

Is the PDA now known as PFD?

>> He has a bridge height indicator in his cab by law, and that should have
>> been set correctly and in his view.
>>
Why don't the owners of these low bridges have a sacrificial slightly lower low height overhead warning bar/sign, slung over the approach, just a few metres before the bridge?

Low bridges again. - Pat
>>Is the PDA now known as PFD?<<

It's The Professional Drivers Foundation but quite how she got to PFD from, I'm not quite sure!

>> Why don't the owners of these low bridges have a sacrificial slightly lower low height overhead warning bar/sign, slung over the approach, just a few metres before the bridge?<<

If they did that then drivers would never have to think for themselves John.
Unless it was like the Blackwall Tunnel Northbound where, if you rattle the overhanging chains you get a fine, it wouldn't work.

Can you imagine the conversation....

'Ahh but, they always hang that a bit lower than the bridge actually is.'

Pat

Low bridges again. - John H
>> It's The Professional Drivers Foundation but quite how she got to PFD from, I'm not
>> quite sure!
>>

Do you "head" both the PDA and the PDF?

>> If they did that then drivers would never have to think for themselves John.
>> Unless it was like the Blackwall Tunnel Northbound where, if you rattle the overhanging chains
>> you get a fine, it wouldn't work.
>>

A fine for triggering the "alarm", and/or prosecution to pay for damages to sacrificial siggn and/or bridge, plus an allownace for additional damages to reflect delays/inconvenience to other road users.

Last edited by: John H on Tue 8 Jan 13 at 10:32
 Low bridges again. - Pat
The PDA hasn't existed for a couple of years now.

Pat
 Low bridges again. - Dutchie
Ships hit bridges happen to our ship once in Rotterdam.The bridge master lowered the bridge whilst we where still under it.There is a good video on you tube a ship hits a bridge.I forget how to transfer the clip to the forum.My mind is going gone..;)
One here - not the one I was looking for..

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hdok8Aa-eH8

Lift bridge v. ship

www.youtube.com/watch?v=84EE0CI82kE
Last edited by: Manatee on Tue 8 Jan 13 at 18:46
 Low bridges again. - Dutchie
There must be a clever engineer somewhere who can device a systems where lorrys have a warning in the cab regarding bridge heights.Maybe a small arial on the cab linked to a visual screen.How it would work I don't know.
 Low bridges again. - four wheels good...
Ships hit bridges

Yes Dutchie, HMS Jupiter vs London Bridge 1984, though we were not trying to go under it!
Latest Forum Posts