Motoring Discussion > None of us ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 48

None of us ? - Old Navy
tinyurl.com/ajqtpkz
 None of us ? - Stuu
Did mine in Sept. There is no good reason why you shouldnt know, they send you a reminder and the only reason that wont arrive is if you fail to change you address and they wont be happy with you for that either.

You just take the form to a main post office and they do the new piccy there and then - it is an exceptionally good service actually and takes about 5 mins tops. Much cheaper than the fine too.
 None of us ? - Old Navy
I did mine online, DVLA can access your passport photo if you have one. Mrs ON is due in July, and if she is what you are thinking it will be a world record. :-)
 None of us ? - Shiny
That's why they will never rip my old paper license from my curator's gloved hands.
 None of us ? - swiss tony
>> That's why they will never rip my old paper license from my curator's gloved hands.
>>

Until 2015.....
 None of us ? - mikeyb
Did mine last year - they had a little photo booth type thing in the post office where they took the picture.

Very easy process, and not much of a chore.
 None of us ? - Haywain
It's just another inconvenience for law-abiding punters. It won't affect the unlicensed tow-rags or the illegal immigrants. Grump, grump! :-(
 None of us ? - Armel Coussine
And no one is going to be fined £1,000 for a bit of carelessness. A seemly show of embarrassed haste might even get you off the hook more or less.
 None of us ? - Old Navy
Would anyone trust the insurance companies not to use the lack of a valid licence as an excuse to reject a claim ? Or could they restrict the cover to third party ?
 None of us ? - Robin O'Reliant
Or could they restrict the cover to
>> third party ?
>>
They certainly could. Let's face it, if I were an insurance company I wouldn't pay for your written off car if you were not licenced to drive it.

Would you pay for mine?
 None of us ? - Slidingpillar
I had carefully kept my paper licence until 2009, then I had to surrender it for medical reasons. Eventually got it back but of course, they don't actually keep what you send back, you have to apply for a new one.

So, although this one was free (medical reasons are) you can bet when it's due for renewal, I'll have to pay. And no Mr DVLC, I won't have moved, perfectly happy where I am and see no reason to line the pockets of estate agents etc.

So if you hear grrrrs in April 2021 - it'll be me shelling out to DVLC.

PS Most insurance policies say "or has ever held a licence" in their terms. So failing to renew a bit of paper won't invalidate the policy - although I'd not put it to the test, may only apply to third party claims.
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Sat 5 Jan 13 at 19:24
 None of us ? - Ian (Cape Town)
>> It's just another inconvenience for law-abiding punters. It won't affect the unlicensed tow-rags or the
>> illegal immigrants. Grump, grump! :-(
>>

well, if the government made it compulsory for all drivers to have their licenses on them at all times, maybe it would?

No license on you sir? well, let's pop down the station to sort it out, shall we?

>> well, if the government made it compulsory for all drivers to have their licenses on
>> them at all times, maybe it would?
>>
>> No license on you sir? well, let's pop down the station to sort it out,
>> shall we?
>>
As they can check whether or not you have a licence in about thirty seconds why would you need to carry one? Ditto tax discs, which is why there is a move to do away with those.
Robin, being a Johnny Foreigner type, please explain this to me.
If i'm driving YOUR car, how do they know that I am not you, or vice versa?

'and your name sir?' 'Robin Regal' 'Jolly good, on your way'

>> Robin, being a Johnny Foreigner type, please explain this to me.
>> If i'm driving YOUR car, how do they know that I am not you, or
>> vice versa?
>>
>> 'and your name sir?' 'Robin Regal' 'Jolly good, on your way'
>>
>>
>>
Fair point.
Carrying a credit-card sized license is no big deal - same as carrying anything else which is in your wallet.
Off topics slightly, it also assists when you have to provide ID - for example, when opening accounts or doing stuff at a bank.
I'm always amazed at the problem of 'identity theft' - where it seems anyone with my gas bill can become a clone of me!
I know the libertarians have a point of view about national ID cards, and how we're on the slippery slope to Big Brother, but on the other hand they can't have it both ways, and start complaining about illegal immigrants and unlicensed drivers IF they (the responsible citizens) aren't prepared to compromise.
I'm still convinced that the reason so many 'illegals' flood to Britain and not to other EU nations is not for the handouts ... it is because the chances of getting caught doing anything illegal are lessened because their no system of instant ID.
Stop Mohammed/Boris/Ogunfemi (insert your own Daily Mail stereotype name here) and all of a sudden he claims to be Achmat/Yevgeny/Olosegun (all of whom are 'legit' folk).Without any instant ID, how can the authorities be sure, without exhaustive checking?

Dragging it back to motoring, Robin. If you were involved in a collision of some description, be it a major one or a bumper-bashing, wouldn't you feel more comfortable if you could - by law -ask the other driver(s) involved to please furnish you with their Drivers License and vehicle registration/insurance documents to prove that they were who they claimed to be?
And likewise, you'd be happy to tell them that you are Robin Regal, license number AB 123 4567, and you were insured with Admiral, and that the car is owned by XYZ corporation, for whom you work?
 None of us ? - Zero
>

>> As they can check whether or not you have a licence in about thirty seconds
>> why would you need to carry one?

Because they dont know who you are are to tell if you have a license or not.

I'd hate to try and hire a car abroad now without a photo license.
 None of us ? - BobbyG
Did it last year - easy.
Paper license and passport
 None of us ? - Focusless
Did mine before Christmas.

Mind you that was after losing my photocard bit in the States about 3 years ago...
 None of us ? - Mike H

>> well, if the government made it compulsory for all drivers to have their licenses on
>> them at all times, maybe it would?
>>
Mandatory here in Austria. If you get stopped in one of the random checks they are fond of, you car can't leave the spot without you having it. If necessary, you'll have to get a bus or taxi home to get it.

My wife was driving one evening, we got stopped in a random check, she didn't have hers so they made me drive as I did - they didn't twig that she was driving because I'd been drinking ;-) Only three small beers it has to be said, so not excessive.
 None of us ? - spamcan61
>> Did mine last year - they had a little photo booth type thing in the
>> post office where they took the picture.
>>
>> Very easy process, and not much of a chore.
>>
Yeah, I did mine in Amazingstoke PO a few months back, in a flippant mood I did the "there's no toilet paper in here " joke as the curtains closed on the booth. took about 10mins IIRC.
 None of us ? - Dave_
I had a bit of a saga with mine. The 10-year photo expired at the end of July 2011, and my 5-year digi tacho card was due in the middle of September of the same year. I was skint at the start of the school summer holidays in '11 so I thought I'd do both cards at the same time - I wasn't using the digicard as my then employer's trucks were all analogue. What I didn't count on was that company going bust in the first week of August...

You try getting a driving job with an out-of-date photocard and 6 weeks to run on your digi. Suddenly prompt action seemed a little more prudent. And then...

It took the DVLA four attempts (each spaced a month apart) to send me the correct replacement photocard, see here for a note mid-way through the process:
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=6927&m=190110

At least the digicard turned up in September before the old one expired, just as well as my new place ran all digital lorries.
 None of us ? - Harleyman
>> You try getting a driving job with an out-of-date photocard and 6 weeks to run
>> on your digi. Suddenly prompt action seemed a little more prudent.

Yep. All this bull about keeping paper licences rings hollow with me, and any other vocational driver. We've had to pay for years.

Periodic driving licence renewal is not a new concept; IIRC the old red book type had to be renewed every so often and that wasn't free either.

As Ian says, making the carrying of a driving licence compulsory (when driving) would wake a few people up. HGV drivers are required by VOSA to carry theirs, why should it not apply to everyone?

(Cue muttered grumblings about police state..... in reality we get away light in this country, other parts of the world it can be an on-the-spot fine for non-compliance)
Last edited by: Harleyman on Sun 6 Jan 13 at 08:26
>> (Cue muttered grumblings about police state..... in reality we get away light in this country,
>> other parts of the world it can be an on-the-spot fine for non-compliance)
>>
Harley, that's the least of your worries - try the following scenario:
1) stopped for random check (cue more grumbling - "Surely they have to have a reason to stop you?" Actually not. And given the amount of roadblocks we have here, to check for drivers licenses, roadworthiness, D&D, etc, and the amount of scumbags caught, maybe not a bad thing)
I just show license, rozzers check out the car for tax disc and tyres etc, which is never a problem as they are usually press-fleet cars, so are brand spanking new. Though I do get delayed often as the plod also want to check out anything new/exotic. Petrolhead Plod are great guys!

2) No license? Hey, well we're just impounding your car, and taking you to the station until you can prove you are who you say you are.

3) Is this your car? Mmmm, not? somebody else's? Or a company car? Well, we obviously need to check with the registered owner as to whether you have permission to drive it.

So that's a few hours of your time spent in the lock-up. and a hefty fine.

Now, back to scenario # 3 - as often happens, youngsters get caught. No license at all. So owner (normally parent) is contacted. Now we have a problem - did kid have your permission to drive the car?
No? Well, then we are nailing him for taking-without-consent and driving without a license.
Yes? But you know he didn't have a valid license. So now we are charging YOU with allowing an unlicensed driver to use your vehicle.

I'm sure in UK, this scenario would be a bit harsher, what with compulsory insurance, whih we sadly do not have in RSA.

None of us ? - Dog
I've got an old-type driving licence, the address on it is when we lived at Warleggan - 5 owses ago!

But this is Cornwall ya know, we do things dreckly down ere, my ansome.

www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dreckly
 None of us ? - CGNorwich
If you have you're risking a £1,000 fine for failing to update the address. They don't do dreckly in Swansea see.
 None of us ? - Dog
I'll have to sort it out mucho pronto then, my wife has been on at me for years about it, but you know how it is.

^_^
 None of us ? - henry k
>> I've got an old-type driving licence
>>
>>, the address on it is when we lived at Warleggan - 5 owses ago!
>>
>> But this is Cornwall ya know, we do things dreckly down ere, my ansome.
>>
What happens if you are found in your car in a ditch.
How do the BiB know who /where to contact. Insurance address ? and if it is a company car and it is Sunday etc, ?

Just been coping in a minor way with the results of daughters motoring activities.
!. Parking with two wheels on the pavement.
Documents for fine sent to her previous address and her tenants did not forward it.
Because of the ticket on the screen she knew she owed but calls on several days were required before she could pay.
2. Dad, I think I might have been speeding.
Several trips by dad to the flat to see if a brown envelope had arrived.

( My daughter was a teenager last century :-)

None of us ? - Dog
>>What happens if you are found in your car in a ditch.
How do the BiB know who /where to contact. Insurance address ? and if it is a company car and it is Sunday etc, ?<<

Yep! - I can be a bit of an idiot sometimes (not that you'd notice) point taken though, and I'll get on to it ... dreckly.

;)
 None of us ? - bathtub tom
This thread, from another place, could be an additional incentive to spur you into action:

tinyurl.com/a6jbwar
 None of us ? - Dog
I never realised how serious it was bathtub, I did sort-of glance at the article in the DiM and, as I say, the missus had been on and on at me FOR YEARS and, I can honestly say if it hadn't had been for this ere thread,
I still wouldn't have bothered about.
 None of us ? - Fenlander
>>>and I'll get on to it ... dreckly.

Yes I would. I don't have a passport and when we moved to our temp rental I didn't bother to notify that change as it was short term (my licence was a 20yr old paper type from the previous move). Then when we moved to this permanent house we got busy and I forgot about the licence for months until I needed id where anything other than a passport or photocard licence caused all sorts of hassle.

So I got straight onto it and now have a new photocard one. Interestingly in applying for the photocard licence as I didn't have a passport and had recently moved I couldn't meet the minimum id criteria so had to include alternatives and a pleading letter.

Regarding carrying the licence I don't... unless travelling on holiday I just have debit card, cash, RAC card and mobile phone in my jeans pocket... no wallet.
 None of us ? - Dog
>>my licence was a 20yr old paper type from the previous move<<

Same as mine, shocking really when you think we moved from Warleggan (address on licence) over 9 years ago!

My passport expired years ago too, which is okay as I haven't crossed the Tamar for years either.

I never take my mobile phone with me when I go out - can you imagine the stick I get from er indoors, poor soul.

:)
 None of us ? - Westpig
as I haven't crossed the Tamar
>> for years either.

I crossed it last night...had to nip down to Falmouth (Helford to be exact) for a friend's birthday dinner.

Felt like an American (no, not the waist line), 160 mile round trip for din dins.
 None of us ? - Dog
>>.had to nip down to Falmouth (Helford to be exact) for a friend's birthday dinner<<

He must be worth a few bob then ;)
 None of us ? - Pat
I suspect that shortly it will become law for UK drivers to carry their driving licence with them.

At the moment there is no law which requires an HGV driver to actually carry a licence.
However in September 2014 every HGV driver who drives commercially has to have a DQC card and the law states that this has to 'be carried with them at all times WITH their driving licence'.

At the moment it ianomalymally, and no-one will clarify the position but VOSA tell us they expect a change in the law to accommodate this for everyone.

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Sun 6 Jan 13 at 15:45
 None of us ? - Armel Coussine
>> At the moment it ianomalymally,

A trucker's technicality Pat? I have a terrible feeling that googling that will leave me none the wiser...

:o}
 None of us ? - Pat
Just IE9 and car4play:)

Cursor sticks, and fingers carry on!

I spell checked that too and it didn't highlight it....

Pat
 None of us ? - Westpig
>> He must be worth a few bob then ;)
>>

No him and his family were staying at a holiday barn, which was reasonable for the palatial nature of it.... out of season isn't it. We had dins at the Ferryboat Inn.

Couldn't drink in case your Cornish fuzz were about....(and my bladder wouldn't have made it).

Just had a thought, does that make us Emmets?
 None of us ? - Dog
>>, does that make us Emmets?<<

Only if you visited Porthemmet Beach.
 None of us ? - Cliff Pope
I have just re-checked my insurance policy. It says the driver must hold OR HAVE HELD a full driving licence.
For insurance purposes at least, it appears I have no obligation to have a currently valid licence.
 None of us ? - Fullchat
Last time I renewed the insurance on the bikes they wanted a copy of my Driving Licence within 14 days and would cancel the policy if I did not oblige. That was a first.
>> Last time I renewed the insurance on the bikes they wanted a copy of my
>> Driving Licence within 14 days and would cancel the policy if I did not oblige.
>> That was a first.
>>
Same here when I insured my bike in October. I had seven days to email a scanned copy of both parts of my licence or the policy would be cancelled.
 None of us ? - Fullchat
MCE ?
>> MCE ?
>>
Some outfit called Wicked Quotes.
 None of us ? - Zero
Is that only on bikes? never had to do it for cars.
 None of us ? - Bromptonaut
>> Is that only on bikes? never had to do it for cars.

That's odd. There are services that allow employers on line access to confirm license details for driving on duty purposes No doubt the same service is available to insurers.
 None of us ? - Cliff Pope
>> >>
>>There are services that allow employers on line access to confirm license details
>> for driving on duty purposes No doubt the same service is available to insurers.
>>

It is. When I added a temporary driver for a week I just gave name and DOB. They obviously had instant access to the online licence records and accepted it over the phone.
>> Is that only on bikes? never had to do it for cars.
>>
When the born again biking boom was taking off in the mid nineties it was reported in the motorcycle press that a lot of middle aged men who had ridden but never passed a test in their youth were taking a chance on big bikes on the premise that at their age they were unlikely to get a routine pull. possibly the insurers are wary of that, I'm sure I've had to produce my licence to a broker pre mass internet days.
Latest Forum Posts