Motoring Discussion > Engine oil comparison Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 13

Engine oil comparison - bathtub tom
I bought some oil and found this for about ten quid:
www.commaoil.com/productsguide/file/bb29a9fbddc1ac0371ccf3935ab0feba

I'd normally buy this at about fifteen quid:
www.commaoil.com/productsguide/file/29941ae9d8ed8175ab2eb01397d35875

They both meet the same spec and only seem to have minor differences.

I suppose the former is aimed at the garage trade and perhaps shouldn't have been on display for the retail customer.

Any comments?
 Engine oil comparison - Iffy
...found this for about ten quid...

Do you mean five litres?

I've just paid a pony for the right stuff for the CC3, and could have paid £40 or more.

Comma have always sold their products cheaply, and I've never heard of there being anything wrong with them.

Engine oil comparison - L'escargot
The Engine Oil Bible. www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html
 Engine oil comparison - Skoda
Printer ink used to be one of the most expensive liquids on the planet until VW 507.00 oil came along.

For retail customers Comma are about the only brand to offer it in 5litre bottles, everyone else does 4litre. The comma one comes in at around £35 delivered. Halfords £43. Mobil 1 £45. Castrol £48.

I bought a small (25 litre) trade drum of Exol branded 507.00 after a tip off -- £100 delivered.

Bargain!
 Engine oil comparison - Number_Cruncher
It's always worth checking the Vauxhall dealer for good deals on oil.

I bought 20 litres of 10W40 semi synthetic for SWMBO's Astra last week for £38. I've also noticed that their synthetic oil meets MB229.51 which means it's good for modern CDI engines with DPF.

Engine oil comparison - Shiny
I once bought some oil from vauxhall, as I do every couple of years using their special offer for taxis (even though I'm not one).
4 x 5 lites of the 5w30 Longlife super synthetic. It was labelled up as AC Delco instead of GM and it was 504.00 and 507.00, it is made by Castrol in Belgium.

It was £56 for 4 x 5 litres, which shows what the markup is on the retail boutique line with magic spout toy bottle.
Last edited by: sooty tailpipes on Mon 17 May 10 at 19:45
 Engine oil comparison - Zero
>> It's always worth checking the Vauxhall dealer for good deals on oil.
>>
>> I bought 20 litres of 10W40 semi synthetic for SWMBO's Astra last week for £38.

20 litres? wow! thats a hellava sump in that astra,
 Engine oil comparison - Number_Cruncher
Mmm - the nasty old shed of an Audi 80 we have will also be getting a drink of it too!

Engine oil comparison - Dog
One thing I won't skimp on, and that is oyl ~ whatever it sez on the can.
 Engine oil comparison - John H

>> >> I bought 20 litres of 10W40 semi synthetic for SWMBO's Astra last week for
>> £38.
>>

I asked at a Vauxhall dealer about these deals two weeks ago and was told that the 20 litres pack price is for trade customers only. They wanted to charge me £40 for 5 litres.
 Engine oil comparison - Dieselfitter
>>I've just paid a pony for the right stuff for the CC3...

Are Ford still recommending semi-synthetic 5W30 across the board?

Most of the German stuff (including my Audi and daughter's Mini) seems to come with Mobil 1 ESP 5W30. Which is odd because the Mini is a 1.6 petrol, and I though ESP was a low-ash oil intended for diesels with DPF.
 Engine oil comparison - Iffy
...Are Ford still recommending semi-synthetic 5W30 across the board?...

Yes.

I've only got a handbook for a Focus, but it seems to be the oil for all the models, diesel and petrol.

If Ford can make oil choice so simple, why do some manufacturers, such as VW, make it so complicated?

I can't believe the internals of a VW engine place different demands on oil compared to the demands made by the internals of the engine of a Ford.

Engine oil comparison - John H

>>
>> If Ford can make oil choice so simple, why do some manufacturers, such as VW,
>> make it so complicated?
>>

Is that not partly due to the long-life variable servicing intervals offered bythe likes of BMW, VAG, and Vauxhall? Do Ford cars have a long-life variable service setting?
 Engine oil comparison - Dieselfitter
>>Is that not partly due to the long-life variable servicing intervals offered bythe likes of BMW, VAG, and Vauxhall?

Yes, I think so. They seem to think the oil service life is up to 30,000 Km (about 19,000 miles). Daughter bought 'Mini TLC' with her car, which provides 3 years' servicing for £200. Seems a bargain until you realise it might only include one oil change for most customers!
Latest Forum Posts