Motoring Discussion > Buying a car - what a chore!! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 65

Buying a car - what a chore!! - BobbyG
Been out looking at cars for the missus. She knows she doesn't want another Beetle but not sure what she likes so decided to go to one of the car supermarkets.

Peugeot 207 was on the list, 2 mins inside she decided it was old fashioned dashboard.
Fiesta is on the list but it must be Zetec or above as she has decided car must have alloy wheels.
Seat Ibiza is now on list - sat in one and thought the inside ws very modern looking.
Polo was on list - sat inside and she felt it was the same inside of the Polo she had about ten years ago so thats off the list.
Clio was top of the list, especially the diesel, but I am aware of the issues they have had around dissolving fuel pumps - still trying to establish if this was something that was ever resolved and a modified unit produced?
Also like the petrol ones but she seems convinced that the 1.2 petrol (in any car ) is too underpowered as she has a courtesy Corsa 1.2 and hates it as you have constantly to change down gears. I drove it last night with five of us in it and yes, it is underpowered , but am sure its just the old petrol/diesel style of driving thing where you need to hold on to the revs longer in a petrol before moving up gear. But am not brave enough to suggest to her that she may need to change her driving style......

Moved onto another dealership (Arnold Clark) , I deliberately stood back and let the missus talk to the salesman and explain it was for her,what she had looked at so far etc - he then proceeded to push her towards a 17k Audi A3 (after being told budget was about 7k) and told my wife that the A3 was very similar to the Beetle...............

We then looked at an Ibiza and he proceeded to tell me these Leons have beautiful lines down the side.. looked at a Polo diesel, 3 years old with 40k miles on the clock - he told me that the mileage on a diesel of this age should really be nearer 80k !!

The final straw was when he said to the wife that if all this car hunting was getting too much for her she could go into the showroom and have a cup of tea and watch TV whilst I picker her a car..........

I thought going car hunting, with cash in hand, and no trade in, was going to be a hell of a lot easier!!!
 Buying a car - what a chore!! - sooty123
Sounds like you didn't get a good salesman, might be a good idea to book an appointment give them a rough idea of budget and type of car petrol/diesel etc. By all accounts it's best to go about buying a car, well better chance of getting a better deal anyway. Did you think of going private or is that not an option?
 Buying a car - what a chore!! - Zero
When are salesman going to realise that they have to sell to women. When Nicole was buying her Clio, the salesman kept trying to sell to me, and finally nicole snapped and told him to stuff his cars where it hurts.
 Buying a car - what a chore!! - Roger.
When I was selling cars to a family unit, I never left the ladies out of the equation as I knew that in a very large number of cases the actual purchase decision remained in the hands of the family money manager, i.e. the lady of the family.
 Buying a car - what a chore!! - IJWS14
I have a company car as does my son, wife owns her own as does daughter so I am called in to assist the buying process for both.

Have on occasions had to tell the salesman that the car is not for me and that the lady is the buyer, whether to walk is the lady's decision.
 Buying a car - what a chore!! - R.P.
My wife read this yesterday and was horrified. I've been with her through two car changes - she sorts dealers out herself.
sooty - looked at all avenues but once the missus had decided what the short list was then it was pretty much shortlisted down to dealerships. One of neighbours works in a car auction and with enough time and planning then we could maybe have got something but time was of the essence!

In Scotland it is actually very difficult to buy a car from a dealership that is not Arnold Clark! They are taking over dealerships left, right and centre. Their prices are very good, hard to be matched elsewhere but you get nowhere near the level of serice you get from the small dealers, like Skoda for instance.

Phoned Evans Halshaw about a car they had - company policy is the price on the window is the price you pay - absolutely no room for haggling!
 Buying a car - what a chore!! - bathtub tom
>>Phoned Evans Halshaw about a car they had - company policy is the price on the window is the price you pay - absolutely no room for haggling!

I experienced that identical scenario, they shut up shop shortly after. I'd bought elsewhere.
However, BING! a LEON!!!!!!

Same road size as the beetle, good looking, toys, fast ones available, Whats not to like?
 Buying a car - what a chore!! - sooty123
>> However, BING! a LEON!!!!!!
>>
, good looking

I'd have to disagree on that Zero, always looked a bit of a bloater to me.
 Buying a car - what a chore!! - No FM2R
>> Zero, always looked a bit of a bloater to me.

Its because he wears baggy jumpers.
 Buying a car - what a chore!! - Fenlander
Recently in another thread the private vs dealer issue has been discussed. If the looking/purchase experience you've mentioned is anywhere near typical... and possibly matched by a resistant attitude in the event of a warranty claim... then buying that low mileage minter from the lady vicar holds a lot of appeal.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Sun 30 Dec 12 at 14:58
Clio now ruled out.

Prefers the inside of the Ibiza and the Fiesta.
Fiesta is about 600 quid more than Ibiza. Same year, mileage and comparable spec. Though Fiesta does have heated windscreen. . .

Test drive time . . .
go boil your brains baldy
 Buying a car - what a chore!! - RattleandSmoke
This problem is easily solved. Buy her a Lada, that way when that needs to be replaced any car would seem amazing!
 Buying a car - what a chore!! - Runfer D'Hills
>>not brave enough to suggest to her that she may need to change her driving style......

Reckon we can help you there Bobby ! Y'see here's how it goes, I'll start another thread discussing the differences between driving a petrol and a diesel being really careful not to over favour either so you can backtrack if required. Once a few co-conspirators have contributed similarly you can show Mrs G the thread with an innocent and casual "hey, look at this !" ...

Soon be sorted !

;-)
Advice based on your success in teaching Mrs H the width of her car?

Hmmm.
We're getting there Bobby. Skip's just come in on the diesel / petrol debate with a haymaker punch !

:-))
 Buying a car - what a chore!! - -
Your mistake was to visit a car supermarket Bobby, we visited the local biggie once, never again, we would not put ourselves through their silly customer on a conveyor belt system for the best car bargain in the country.

They seem more like finance houses for the unwary than car sales people.
 Buying a car - what a chore!! - rtj70
>> They seem more like finance houses for the unwary than car sales people

Which is exactly what they are. Finance businesses with a side-line in cars. Motorpoint will for example sort out car loans. We once bought a car and didn't read all the small print.... when I realised it was actually HP I got in touch with the finance people (part of Lloyds) and swapped it to a proper loan. Should have read the small print... but the APR was low.

Paid it off soon after with a bonus anyway.
>> >> They seem more like finance houses for the unwary than car sales people

At my local car giant I didn't even get to see the cars, they refused to let me into the car lot until we had discussed finance. I told them to sod off and left.
 Buying a car - what a chore!! - Skip
>>
>> At my local car giant I didn't even get to see the cars, they refused
>> to let me into the car lot until we had discussed finance. I told them
>> to sod off and left.
>>

I had the same experience, I was told that I wasn't allowed to view any cars until I had sat down with them and discussed my needs and finance, then I would be shown some appropriate vehicles. I too left.
Yep thats how the local pile 'em high and finance em high site works, they didn't like us cos we were cash buyers but they needed to shift the 3 year old low mileage MB CL500 we were interested in, well we were interested till i spotted a large portion of one rear wheel arch corroded and actually fell off, and blisters appearing in the middle of the rear quarter panels, alumium bodied and corroding badly probably where the steel subframes lurk, if they'd bodged those up before we looked we might just have bought the heap.

Never again, i wish them nothing but lost sales for the new year.
Zero, she wasn't wanting a car as big as a Leon.

Remember the Beetle wasn't a car, it was a living being so therefore did not fit into any criteria whatsoever!
Oh yes, Benji. I forgot.
You're learning....
 Buying a car - what a chore!! - ....
>> The final straw was when he said to the wife that if all this car
>> hunting was getting too much for her she could go into the showroom and have
>> a cup of tea and watch TV whilst I picker her a car..........
>>

Did the salesman go for the bonus points and call her Hen or wee Hen ?
gmac - no but my wife did mutter under her breath that she might be able to get a balloon as well if she was good!!
 Buying a car - what a chore!! - Dog
I can clearly see your problem - there were no Japanese cars on your list.
OK, update time.

Decision came down to the Ibiza 1.4 Sport for £6688 or the Fiesta 1.25 Zetec for £7288.

Drove the Ibiza first - lovely car, sort of reminded us of our old Fabia vrs with its firm suspension but the roadnoise was so so noisy. A drone in the car that the ear just tuned in to. When I got my Altea I remember it being noisier on the road than my Scenic but this was unbearable noisy to the extent I was thinking it might be bearings or some such like.
Then drove the Fiesta over the same route, much quieter, very nice car, slightly less power although not too noticeable. Heated front windscreen will be a bonus - car is black which is not my choice of colour but has chrome trim which contrasts well.
This is the car
www.arnoldclark.com/used-cars/ford/fiesta/1.25-zetec-5dr-[82]/2009-(59)/ref/arnbe-203778/

Told the salesman that we preferred the Fiesta but didn't think it was worth £600 more than the Ibiza but before I would take the Ibiza I would need to know that the noise was rectified etc.
Cut to the chase, told him we would sign for Fiesta if it was under £7k and after the obligatory conversation with the sales manager, came back with a price of £6988. So shook hands on this and we are collecting tomorrow.

This gives another dilemma - the cheque from the insurance company is not clearing until Thursday so we either need to pull together funds tomorrow morning so that I can "switch" the payment, or I pay by credit card , which incurs a 1.5% fee (£105) but credit card gives protection - but need to check if this is worth it.

If we had more time, I would have looked at interest free credit cards but the clock is ticking!!!

Buying a car - what a chore!! - spamcan61
>> the roadnoise was so so noisy. A drone in
>> the car that the ear just tuned in to. When I got my Altea I
>> remember it being noisier on the road than my Scenic but this was unbearable noisy
>> to the extent I was thinking it might be bearings or some such like.
My current low rent boy racer Astra was exactly like that, then a few weeks back the OSR tyre needed changing, the replacement was the same type (Kumho somethingorother) yet the racket I put up with for 11,000 miles has pretty much gone. I was convinced the NSR wheel bearing was on the way out. Weird.
Speak to your Bank Bobby regarding the uncleared cheque - they may be able to help out. The 1.25 engine sounds a peach even in the 300 quid banger we have - I was going to wade in the diesel v. petrol thread to say even at a 126k it still is a very smooth little motor and pulls well in all gears.
 Buying a car - what a chore!! - sherlock47
>>>1.25 engine sounds a peach even in the 300 quid banger we have <<<

Do not confuse the early 1.25 16v Zetec engine (made by Yamaha IIRC) with the the later Fiestas which have a 1.25 Ford engine and where have Ford have confusingly adopted 'Zete'c as a model/features descriptor.

Chalk and cheese unfortunately. Less powerful, rougher, less flexible, noisier need I go on? However meets the emission specs, and probably cheaper to make:)

However still an acceptable small car as a package.
Last edited by: pmh on Mon 31 Dec 12 at 21:33
 Buying a car - what a chore!! - sherlock47
>>>Do not confuse the early 1.25 16v Zetec engine (made by Yamaha IIRC) with the the later Fiestas which have a 1.25 Ford engine and where have Ford have confusingly adopted 'Zete'c as a model/features descriptor.<<<

Ford claim the current engine is based on the Yamaha design, however I have driven a couple examples of the newer version and it is nothing like as nice as the original Yamaha unit.

>> Thursday so we either need to pull together funds tomorrow morning so that I can
>> "switch" the payment, or I pay by credit card , which incurs a 1.5% fee
>> (£105)

Bought mine on credit card, similar amount to yours, Told them "credit card and no fee or no sale".

They buckled and agreed. paid it off in full 20 days later, no interest.
No chance of that here but their fee is 1.5%, but just realised that I am pretty sure I get 1% cashback back on credit card for so would only work out at £35 cost..
ah - only get 1% cashback up to £200 total for the year...... mmm might cancel that idea
Cash advance on the card? how much would that cost?

make sure the whole card amount (purchase and cash advance) gets paid off tho.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 30 Dec 12 at 22:01
Speak to the bank - they should cover the transaction.
yeah they will come up with something, even if its a fixed price temporary overdraft.
 Buying a car - what a chore!! - Dieselboy
That would attract interest from the moment the cash advance is made, would it not?
yes it does, which is why you pay it off ASAP. What most people don't realise however is that a cash advance can have a higher rate of interest, and it will be at the bottom of the order when you pay the minimum amount, and any new purchases on top get paid off first. Its possible to never pay off the cash part of the card amount attracting the high interest each month.

Which is why, when you take out a cash advance, you need to pay off all the card debt in one payment.
 Buying a car - what a chore!! - John H
>> yes it does, which is why you pay it off ASAP. What most people don't
>> realise however is that a cash advance can have a higher rate of interest, and
>> it will be at the bottom of the order when you pay the minimum amount,
>> and any new purchases on top get paid off first. Its possible to never pay
>> off the cash part of the card amount attracting the high interest each month.
>>
>> Which is why, when you take out a cash advance, you need to pay off
>> all the card debt in one payment.
>>

I may be wrong, but I have a faint recollection that the practice you are describing was outlawed a few years ago.

Which? advice against cash advances on CC:
"cash withdrawals attract a withdrawal fee, as well as a higher APR and no interest-free period"

Buying a car - what a chore!! - John H
>> I may be wrong, but I have a faint recollection that the practice you are
>> describing was outlawed a few years ago.
>>

Here it is:

Most expensive debts to be paid off first

01 January 2011

Under new rules that come into force today, credit card companies must treat their customers more fairly – giving them greater control over their credit limits and the interest rates they pay, as well as enabling them to clear outstanding debts more quickly.

The changes apply to all credit card providers. Among the new rules is an end to the negative order of payments (or ‘negative payment hierarchy’) that many lenders have imposed on their customers.

www.which.co.uk/news/2011/01/new-rules-to-speed-up-payment-of-credit-card-debts-240548/

Last edited by: John H on Mon 31 Dec 12 at 14:11
 Buying a car - what a chore!! - mikeyb
Most credit card statements (or t's and c's) should explain the order of preference and how your payments are allocated.

As mentioned before, they are now obliged to clear balances in the borrowers best interests!
Ok little update, picked up car yesterday at around 4pm once my wife had finished work. The beauty of internet banking meant my dad could transfer money straight into my account and it will go straight back to him on Thursday when the cheque clears.

She wasn't particularly wanting a black car but I discovered that missus had some definite opinions of car colours. Apparently burgundy colour is not red and it is only for very old people. Three cars were scored off the list purely due to colour.

Also alloy wheels are a must, so that removed any lower spec Fiestas from the shortlist.

Liked a 207 until she sat in it , apparently the wee storage gap under the radio is reminiscent of old cars.

Clio was high up on list until she had sat in Ibiza and Fiesta when it was then the weakest link and had to go.

We might get out in car today but had a late night / late morning Hormonal party last night so probably will just walk to the in laws today for steak pie!!

Will give a fuller review of car once I have had a good try out of it.
Ha ha ha so predictive text changes Hogmonay to Hormonal !!!
 Buying a car - what a chore!! - tyro
Thanks, Bobby for posting this thread, and thanks also to others who have contributed to it.

When one is contemplating or going through the business of buying a car, it's helpful to read about the experiences of others.

And yes, it is a chore!
Last edited by: tyro on Tue 1 Jan 13 at 14:03
 Buying a car - what a chore!! - Boxsterboy
Bobby, with customer demands like that, I'm glad I'm not a car designer!
As my recent cars have been leased I can honestly say that I have not missed the process of negotiating / buying one little bit!

I am sure there are people who would change car more often but are put off by the whole process and decide to stick with what they have until they are forced to buy something.
 Buying a car - what a chore!! - Robin O'Reliant
All the time I was an ADI I never once test drove or even sat in any of the new cars I bought. I just looked at what other instructors were using, sounded them out about reliability etc and put all my concentration into getting the best deal. My first drive was the one home after buying it.

Probably not a good way to buy and I wouldn't do it with used cars but it never let me down, helped of course by the fact that my choice of car was limited by job requirements. One little hatch is much the same as the other when most of your time is spent in the passenger seat.
 Buying a car - what a chore!! - legacylad
My ADI friend took delivery of his new A3 last Friday. His previous '09 A3 Tdi was faultless for 162,000 miles. Now passsed on to wifey who has a 60 mile daily commute, so an easy retirement.
He p/exd his previous driving school car, used by wifey pre A3, again, a faultless Golf '06 GT Tdi with 198k on the clock.
Probably more reliable than some alternatives, and his pupils queue up for lessons in the A3.
I imagine that an A3 will draw in some of the more image driven customers.

I learnt to drive in a Nova........nuff said
 Buying a car - what a chore!! - legacylad
Sure does. What would you prefer to learn in...a Clio, Corsa, 206 or an A3?
I learnt in a Triumph Toledo and my Dads Hillman Hunter and Uncles 1.8 Marina.
I originally learned in a Wolseley 1500 aged 9ish, drove thousands of miles in a Transit pick on L plates accompanied by the regular driver nursing a broken leg, then passed me test in a Mini and bought a Volvo 122S for first car.
At 17 I learned in my dad's Volvo 244. Also had about half a dozen lessons in a BSM Mini. I was due to take my test in the Mini but on the morning of my test the instructor had phoned in sick so BSM arranged an alternative car which was a Mk1 Escort which I'd never previously driven but by comparison to the Volvo I had also become used to it wasn't too daunting. Stalled it once but still managed to pass.

I'm fairly sure it's more difficult to pass the test now though.
 Buying a car - what a chore!! - Duncan
I learnt in a small Ford three door estate car. What on earth was it called?

Oh! This was 1958 BTW.
 Buying a car - what a chore!! - WillDeBeest
What was the thing with three-door estates? When I started noticing these things in 1976, you could have your Allegro, Escort or, I think, Chevette as a two- or four-door saloon, but if you had a family and wanted an estate you had to make do with two passenger doors. Something to do with floppy bodies and too many holes, perhaps?
 Buying a car - what a chore!! - Manatee
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Squire

According to Wiki there was a version of this called the Escort, but I have it in my memory as having different spelling - Escourt or Estcourt maybe.
 Buying a car - what a chore!! - CGNorwich
Scroll down and you will find a picture - Was the original Escort. Ford re-used the name.

slatford.co.uk/Car%20Pictures%20Pages/Ford.htm
Thanks for posting that link CGN we enjoyed scolling down, shocking how many of those i either owned or drove or banger raced in a previous life, SWMBO recalls cabbing with a Corsair before moving on to a durable Datsun.
Yes, it and the Squire being the same car in different trim. I remember them, and my memory of the spelling might be wrong - though I do register spellings quite reliably, it is a childhood memory and could be wrong.
I was wrong about the spelling - maybe that's how I thought it should be when I was 6 or so. The badge is visible here

www.simoncars.co.uk/ford/slides/Ford%20100E%20Escort%20front.jpg
 Buying a car - what a chore!! - henry k
There are chores and chores.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnfVsoTXjK0

An awful lot of people did not understand a word.
 Buying a car - what a chore!! - Dutchie
I did,she is part of the deal.
 Buying a car - what a chore!! - Alanovich

>> slatford.co.uk/Car%20Pictures%20Pages/Ford.htm

Ahhh, those Ford pictures have made me go all wibbly and nostalgic. Dad had a Ford Executive, his was black too like this one, although only after he'd resprayed it from silver for some bizarre reason I never understood. My first car was the Mark 1 Escort, 1.1 Deluxe. Other Fords I've had - Orion 1.6L (Mk1), Escort 1.6 Ghia (Mk3), Escort 1.4LX (Mk5), Mondeo 1.8LX estate (Mk2). Always wanted a Granada Coupe (Ghia, of course).

Just as I was considering buying a Vauxhall Insignia. Think it'd have to be a Mondeo if I were to go out car shopping today. I'd feel dirty and unfaithful buying a Vauxhall.
Latest Forum Posts