Motoring Discussion > The "other site" Miscellaneous
Thread Author: maltrap Replies: 27

The "other site" - maltrap
Just been on the "other site" the one run by that guy in Thailand, it's been re-vamped and is much better, even my basic computer can cope with it.
 The "other site" - Shiny
What do you see?
Something like an MVM Chery QQ long-term test?
 The "other site" - maltrap
Dunno about that, this is the guy from the Telegraph. It's just that the site "works" now it didn't before.
 The "other site" - Auristocrat
The re-design went live in October. There were fairly long-standing issues accessing the site using Internet Explorer, which I think were due to a pop up from one of the advertisers. The re-design seems to have addressed access issues, and improved the loading speed as well.
 The "other site" - Fullchat
I just popped across and had a trawl through some of the legal stuff. Page popped up stating Microsoft had detected some security alerts / Trojans blah blah. Click here to do a security sweep.

As I'm on an Imac then this would appear to be a scam or worse.
 The "other site" - Fullchat
Think this one is covered under Computer Related.
 The "other site" - rtj70
Sounds like similar/same adverts on both sites then. If you were really clever, the code could check what platform you were on and display an appropriate message. Even going as far as checking on Windows which anti-virus software you are running. Luckily I've not heard of anyone doing that.
 The "other site" - BobbyG
It seems to still be the only website that I go on using IE and every time get a pop up.
Thus I dont access it that often though have had a wee look around it in last week reading various car reviews.
 The "other site" - Runfer D'Hills
Still on an SUV hunt Bobby?
Humph, thats on hold just now till we sort the missus out with a car!!

Although I prefer the look of the Qashqai, still can't see past the ix35 for toys and warranty.

Anyway, Beetles......
 The "other site" - Zero

>> Although I prefer the look of the Qashqai, still can't see past the ix35 for
>> toys and warranty.

Bobby < whispers in ear > Take a wander down to the Ford dealer, and have a look at the B max.
 The "other site" - Runfer D'Hills
"B Max" woss one of them then? Must've missed that. Googling as we speak...
Is B Max not too "family / mpv" ?
And look what happened the last time I followed your advice........
 The "other site" - Zero
>> And look what happened the last time I followed your advice........

The longest you have ever kept a car is what. Didnt break mine. It did have a boot divider and an engine cover tho
You loved it so much you left it in a deserted car park and did a runner from your desk........

Five and a half years now........
 The "other site" - Zero
>> Is B Max not too "family / mpv" ?

And, like, the droopy mirrored cashcow or IX35 is not? The IX35 is a mondeo with too much makeup up.

Just saying, go and 'ave a butchers.
 The "other site" - Avant
"The re-design went live in October. There were fairly long-standing issues accessing the site using Internet Explorer, which I think were due to a pop up from one of the advertisers. The re-design seems to have addressed access issues, and improved the loading speed as well. "

Exactly - it took a long time to nail the problem, which was definitely advert-related, but it does seem to be OK now. As moderator I have to get on to it every day, and there is now no problem if I use IE9.

I've upgraded to Windows 8 which has also improved speeds, and very rarely now (touch wood) do I get that infuriating complacent Microsoft message 'not responding'.
 The "other site" - Oldgit
I visit that other site very rarely now. The trouble I seem to have with it, in recent months, with it freezing when using IE9 have stopped now.

However I don't visit it because I don't like the person who runs it at least not very much. He or one of his team were very rude to me some time ago when over several instances I forgot to edit down my 'Quote Original Message' facility.

I wished that I had kept the rather rude email I was sent but hey, ho I must have deleted it.
I'll stay with this site now.
 The "other site" - Rudedog
I've just tyried to have a little peek from my work PC during lunch and I couldn't get onto the Forum, kept seeing a warning box pop up with 'operation aborted' and it returned to a screen saying check the address/spelling etc and try again, so by the looks of things it hasn't improved, saying that I think my work still runs an older version of IE.
 The "other site" - Ambo
It now works for me again, after over a year of inacessibility
 The "other site" - Avant
"However I don't visit it because I don't like the person who runs it at least not very much. He or one of his team were very rude to me some time ago when over several instances I forgot to edit down my 'Quote Original Message' facility."

This must have been some time ago, and there are different moderators now, Oldgit: I wouldn't be rude to you about that. I don't think it would be an issue now on either forum.
 The "other site" - VxFan
>> This must have been some time ago, and there are different moderators now, Oldgit: I
>> wouldn't be rude to you about that.

It *might* have been HJ. He penned the original request asking people not to quote the full message they're replying to, and the pop up message followed a short time later after we asked Stephen to include it. Having not been to the other side of the fence for a while now, I'm not sure if the pop up still appears or not.
The old mods used to 'snip quote' if we had seen people hadn't bothered to snip and summarise. Occasionally we might have added a sarcastic but friendly comment in the post we trimmed down.

>> I don't think it would be an issue now on either forum.

Although we're a little bit more laid back here, we prefer it if people didn't quote everything. Nothing more annoying than having to read a 200 word essay to then see a one sentence reply to it. Especially if they don't use the default quoting symbols and use their own which isn't always clear.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 26 Dec 12 at 01:19
 The "other site" - Oldgit
>>This must have been some time ago, and there are different moderators now, Oldgit:
>> I wouldn't be rude to you about that.
>>
>> Although we're a little bit more laid back here, we prefer it if people didn't
>> quote everything. Nothing more annoying than having to read a 200 word essay to then
>> see a one sentence reply to it. Especially if they don't use the default quoting
>> symbols and use their own which isn't always clear.
>>

Well I am in my seventies and am not easily offended by anything but I didn't like the manner in which I was admonished at all. Oh how I wish that I'd kept that email so that I could quote it anonymously here.
I was threatened with removal and to sling my hook or in words, somewhat similar. Still, stiicks and stones and all that!
 The "other site" - No FM2R
>>I was threatened with removal and to sling my hook or in words, somewhat similar

that'd be HJ, without a doubt.
 The "other site" - Armel Coussine
>> HJ, without a doubt.

He can get quite irritable sometimes. But hard-working, with a busy and somewhat complicated life, the way it looks to me. Courteous and informative with me, even friendly in a busy sort of way.

I suspect he gets impatient with his main client base, car-owning ignoramuses. Probably heaves a sigh of relief when he recognises a fellow speaker of the Car tongue.
 The "other site" - Armel Coussine
>> a fellow speaker of the Car tongue.

I don't suggest you aren't one Oldgit. You must have caught HJ on a raw spot or something.
 The "other site" - Shiny
I was banned and received a bizarre email from the owner saying my username/handle was similar to a company name abroad, and yet others had names like "Ford Man".
Latest Forum Posts