Motoring Discussion > Can you adam & eve it (sat naf) Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 23

Can you adam & eve it (sat naf) - Dog
Again!

www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/PICTURES-Articulated-lorry-completely-stuck/story-17628253-detail/story.html
 Can you adam & eve it (sat naf) - Old Navy
Common sense failure, who in their right mind would take something that size down a dirt track they did not know?
 Can you adam & eve it (sat naf) - -
from the newspaper link

**''The driver was following his sat nav towards Lee Moor with his empty trailer when he claimed the lorry slid and then became stuck.
'The road was slippery and the trailer slid out and that was it, it was stuck', the driver explained.
He also reported the clutch to have failed.
A recovery truck was called at 3am today but was unable to pull out the Blue Man lorry''.**

I feel really sorry for the bloke, don't suppose i'd be any better at finding me way round some unheard of backwater in Poland.

Clutch gorn on a modern MAN, that'll be satans automanual gearbox knackered then, they can't cope with normal Outer London traffic or half an inch of snow without overheating and shutting down (had it twice), OK on the open road and not much else.

Expect he'll be flying home for Christmas.
I was thinking along similar lines gord, although when I was driving small lorries in the 70's (TK's) I didn't have sat naf back then but, I can imagine it's easily done to get stuck down some of these ere narrow country lanes,
whether you're a Pole or a Grockle, because sat nav can literally lead you up the garden path!
Looks like he is up the garden path D, it'll take a serious wrecker to pull that thing out and there'll be some banks and hedges needing patching up when its all over.

I know modern lorry jockeys rely on the evil thing, but sat nav isn't the right tool for pro drivers of larger vehicles IMO as a route finder, its useful as a pocket sized street map of the country, and its very useful to keep it running as you drive along in order to 'see' turnings before they appear in unfamiliar areas and to know what name/number that turning is or indeed the road you are on, and invaluable for fine tuning the last couple of miles to an unknown destination.

Pro drivers should always IMO plot their own routes via a proper map.
Do Google maps use the self-same thingimajigggery as a sat nav I wonder?

Reason I ask is because I used G/maps to see what route it would choose to take from my house to a coal merchant out in the sticks (like me).

I knew what route I would take but, I just couldn't believe what Google maps came up with!
 Can you adam & eve it (sat naf) - henry k
again again
But a new varient from a local so ...

"Drivers of all vehicles need to have a bit of common sense. Clearly this lorry driver didn't.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-22043728
 Can you adam & eve it (sat naf) - Pat
What an idiot....there's nothing wrong with the signage, just a serious lack of common sense.

Thanks for that Henry, I'll relate that to my roomful of Tipper drivers tomorrow, it will make them feel better!

Pat
 Can you adam & eve it (sat naf) - Zero

Still 42 commando based nearby can come out and blow it up.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 5 Apr 13 at 19:18
Again that Cambridge bus lane every possibility of a foreign driver who has basic English at best at the helm.

I used my sat naff one day this week, it has traffic on it so when i get a single long run i sometimes let it run for early warnings.
They really are the weirest things though.

Travelling North Northants to South Wales my chosen route was A14 M6 M42 M5 M50 to M4 and into South Wales.....if the Severn Bridge wasn't £18+ i'd probably go A43 A34 A420 M4 and its fair enough the satnav can't know that....unless the alternative route is apprecially shorter and reasonably levellish its much cheaper to keep the lorry on the motorway in top gear even if the journey is 20 miles longer.

Anyoldway, me blinking Garmin didn't like me using my route and whilst on A14 kept rerouting to send me down the A43, A43 Kett then minor road via Lamport, then A508 to go via Northampton, well thats fair enough as it prefers the Southern route and its not programmed for lorries.

However it then got ridiculous and wanted me to come off M6 @ Jct 1 Rugby and turn round and head back down M1, presumably to go via A43 Towcester route still.

When i ignored it yet again it finally rerouted itself to my chosen and simplest route.

It was at this point it proved how you should never use one of these things for route planning.

The distance to destination counter @ M6 jct 1 showed around 155 miles, after 20 seconds of rerouting (to the route it at last agreed with) it showed 129 miles.

As a pocket sized street map or handy unmarked or unkown road locater or for traffic warnings (when it finally agrees with you) they are excellent, but you cannot rely on them and they shouldn't be blindly trusted.

This isn't the first time my one has proved itself like this.

I wonder how much time mileage and fuel is wasted by people who trust their sat naff instead of using common sense judgement to plan their own overall route, unless they experiment they will never know.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Sat 6 Apr 13 at 08:02
 Can you adam & eve it (sat naf) - Crankcase
I know that bit of the Cambridge bus lane very well, and it's very hard to see how he got his lorry onto it unless he had his eyes shut. It's not even as if it's an easy manoeuvre.

As to satnavs, GB, I guess you are aware Garmin do one specially for HGVs? No idea what it does other than avoids low bridges and little lanes, apparently. Or you can download an addon for about £60 that makes yours do that.

And I guess you are also aware you can set yours to avoid toll roads, or certainly could on the Garmins (and TomToms) I've used?
Last edited by: Crankcase on Sat 6 Apr 13 at 08:10
Yes i've played around with the settings CC, it runs best for me on fastest route, i've enabled toll roads as its too much faff to keep going into settings, i don't need the thing to guide me which is just as well..;) but like it to run parallel when i suspect traffic probs.

Never needed a lorry specific model and i'm completely against them, far too many lorries hitting bridges and getting stuck down narrow but unrestricted roads these days as it is and using one programmed for bridges etc would IMO lead to further complacency.
 Can you adam & eve it (sat naf) - Zero
TomToms are vastly superior, by a huge margin, when they come to re-routing. Much more sensible and flexible, a feature I exploit. Garmins are blindly dogged when it comes to trying to keep you affixed to the original chosen route.
Garmins are blindly dogged when it comes to
>> trying to keep you affixed to the original chosen route.

Certainly mine has proved that, the good thing about Garmins is the free for life traffic, but then if its showing me traffic on some spurious alternative route then that usefulness is void.

I'll try an experiment when i next go to Sth Wales i'll re-enter the destination completely when around Kettering on A14 and see which way it sends me.
Am I the only one who has never owned nor bin in a jamjar that had a sat naf fitted.

I even know of those up ere who have never even owned a car ... Sheep and Bullocks mainly.

:}
 Can you adam & eve it (sat naf) - Clk Sec
>>Am I the only one who has never owned nor bin in a jamjar that had a sat naf fitted.

You're not alone. The nearest I get to a satnav is when I call in to Halfords every 5 years to pick up a new battery for my LHB.

That reminds me, my AA road atlas needs updating.
I can see that sat nafs have their uses, peeps have used em when they have visited us but, when I've asked them which route they took, it wasn't they way I would have told em.

Lorry drivers like gord and Catwoman must find them a boon as I can well remember driving Bedford TK's, Ford Custom Cabs, and Leyland 'Terrors' back in the 70's and having a hell-of-a-job finding a gaff in the home counties somewhere, who I hadn't delivered to before.

I'm going to Brixton next Wednesday (not THAT Brixton) and a sat naf would come in useful but, I'm sure I'll survive.
 Can you adam & eve it (sat naf) - henry k
>>I can see that sat nafs have their uses, peeps have used em when they have visited us but, when I've asked them which route they took, it wasn't they way I would have told em.
>>
Many folks do not understand the basics when giving others directions.
Keep it simple !!! You may know the tricky direct route along country lanes but give visitors routes that require less clever bits even if it is a greater mileage.
Does Google Maps use the same electrickery as sat naf I wonder? I checked out a route to somewhere I know quite well (in Cornwall) and I just could not believe the route it came up with!
 Can you adam & eve it (sat naf) - Bromptonaut
>> Does Google Maps use the same electrickery as sat naf I wonder? I checked out
>> a route to somewhere I know quite well (in Cornwall) and I just could not
>> believe the route it came up with!

I asked a similar question a month or so ago. Google makes some very broad brush assumptions about speeds on Mways, A roads and so on. As a result it suggested, for journeys from Northampton to (a) Stansted and (b) Colchester that I travel M1>M25 etc. In fact the mileage via A14, M11 and A120 is pretty well identical and, allowing for probability of congestion on M25 likely to be easier.

In fact, on the Stansted trip, I went out via the A14 and returned around 21:00 via the M25/M1. Timings and distances were very close but avoiding the M25 in the tail of rush hour was a good call.
A couple of cars I was looking at (on Autotrader) one in H/Hempstead and one in Croydon.

Google Maps reckons about 4.5 hours from Mid Cornwall taking me via M5/M4 to HH, and A303/M3 to Croydon.

I'd probably choose A303/M3 for either trip because it's a long time since I had the P6 V8, and doing 95-100MPH up and down the M4/M5 from SE London to Cornwall every summer.
 Google Maps - Bromptonaut
The other funny with G maps is they're sometimes wildly out of date re road numbering.

Map for my locality goo.gl/maps/ON7Kb shows the road from the A5 to Litchborough as the B4525. This was for many years the direct road from Northampton to Banbury.

It's now an unclassified county road (and a lovely drive or bike ride).

B 4525 was rerouted to follow the A43, diverging between Silverstone and Brackley to join the old road at Thorpe Mandeville when the Blisworth/Towcester bypass opened in 1991.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 6 Apr 13 at 12:42
 Can you adam & eve it (sat naf) - Ted

>> You're not alone.

Me too....don't see the point. Nowt like a good map and a good memory.

Ted
 Can you adam & eve it (sat naf) - Bromptonaut
>>
>> >> You're not alone.

Or me. Most places I go I've been before. Here to Breanish no problem though I'd need to check the ferry timetable from Ullapool.

Mrs B gets sent hither and thither on supply teaching but prefers to print off a Bing or Google map and work out her own route.
Latest Forum Posts