Motoring Discussion > D'oh - Beemer broken Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Fursty Ferret Replies: 10

D'oh - Beemer broken - Fursty Ferret
As is entirely typical of modern electronics, the DSP/ABS ECU has packed up in the BMW three weeks before it's meant to be handed back. Dash looks like a Christmas tree at the moment. Ironically.

There's a small chance it's being triggered by low battery voltage (it was down to 11.5V after a long drive yesterday) so will bung a new battery on today and see if the fault clears after a few trips. But not optimistic. Diagnostic tool will connect to every ECU in the car except the DSP computer.

But WHY, BMW, WHY, couldn't you wait for another three weeks to break? At the worst I might just leave it and drive it to the auction drop-off myself. "It was fine when I left it, guv" etc.
Last edited by: Fursty Ferret on Tue 18 Dec 12 at 09:32
 D'oh - Beemer broken - Pat
>>But WHY, BMW, WHY<<

Any woman can tell you the answer to that one.

The BMW knows it is being sidelined by a lowly Vauxhall and is sulking....

Pat
 D'oh - Beemer broken - Bill Payer
>> There's a small chance it's being triggered by low battery voltage (it was down to
>> 11.5V after a long drive yesterday) so will bung a new battery on today and
>> see if the fault clears after a few trips. But not optimistic. Diagnostic tool will
>> connect to every ECU in the car except the DSP computer.
>>

Low battery voltage AFTER a trip doesn't make sense.

Couldn't you just call BMW Assist or whatever they're called and let them sort it out?
Last edited by: Bill Payer on Tue 18 Dec 12 at 13:26
Not under warranty any more. Just had the local indy read the fault codes and it's the dreaded pressure sensor. BMW reckon £355 + a minimum £150 diagnostic fee; this chap can do it with a brake fluid change for £330 all in.

Frustrating, but not the end of the world. Only charged me a fiver for the diagnostic too; would give him the work now even if BMW were cheaper.
 D'oh - Beemer broken - DP
Any chance of a goodwill contribution from BMW. Is it a known issue, for example?
 D'oh - Beemer broken - carmalade
I would ask for a contribution from Bmw .This is same problem that affects most makes/models of this era fitted with the Ate abs braking system.Ford,Vag,Bmw all have this known fault.hth
 D'oh - Beemer broken - No FM2R
My experience, albeit on an older BMW, has been that if you reset those warnings they may not reappear immediately.
>> My experience, albeit on an older BMW, has been that if you reset those warnings
>> they may not reappear immediately.
>>

Sorry, didn't see this until today. I asked at the time if he'd reset the warning to see if it was temporary, and he showed me the page on the laptop showing that the fault was ongoing. So a reset wouldn't have had any effect.

Had it fixed today at the cost of £330, which included the unit, fitting, brake bleed (you need the proper software to bleed the ABS unit otherwise I'd have done it myself), a road-test, courtesy car, and a wash.

Have the old unit, will drop it onto the factory next time I'm overhead Munich. Bombs away etc.

Last edited by: Fursty Ferret on Fri 4 Jan 13 at 18:25
 D'oh - Beemer broken - Zero
Reminds me of the old pilots joke.

Speedbird 206: "Good morning Frankfurt, Speedbird 206 clear of the active."

Ground: "Guten morgan, taxi to your gate."

The British Airways 747 pulls onto the main taxiway and stops.

Ground: "Speedbird, do you not know where you are going?"

Speedbird 206: "Stand by, ground, I'm looking up the gate location now."

Ground (with typical German impatience): "Speedbird 206, have you never flown to Frankfurt before?"

Speedbird 206 (coolly): "Yes, in 1944. But I didn't stop".
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 4 Jan 13 at 18:29
 D'oh - Beemer broken - ....
>> Have the old unit, will drop it onto the factory next time I'm overhead Munich.
>> Bombs away etc.
>>
With a bit of luck it will land on the desk and ruin the day of the accountant who ordered the cost saving.
 D'oh - Beemer broken - Zero
I doubt he'll do a root cause failure analysis.
Latest Forum Posts