Motoring Discussion > Car choice help Buying / Selling
Thread Author: sooty123 Replies: 28

Car choice help - sooty123
I'm looking for suggestions for a new car, it's for mt dad. He has a budget of £10000, as new as possible not bothered about petrol or diesel, mileage is 8000, no strong preferences but he does like the Nissan note or a new Clio. Age as new as possible. Mainly used around town with the occasional long run. Comfort is very important, and good on fuel with a warranty.
 Car choice help - Badwolf
Hello sooty!

I think you've answered your own question. The Nissan Note is a very good car. But have you considered Kia? A quick gander at their website indicates that your pa could get a brand new Picanto 1.1i for £8995, or a Rio 1.4i for £9995. Both come with a seven year warranty and should be fairly miserly on fuel.
Thanks for that is the rio comfortable? I think the picanto may be a little small.
 Car choice help - Herr Sandwichmann
Given the proposed mileage I'd get a petrol engined model. How about a Honda Jazz? £10k might get you a nearly new one (ie sub 18 months old). Otherwise as suggested a Kia or Hyundai - IIRC Toyota are doing long warranties now too, or 3 yrs free servicing. I haven't looked at the small print, though.

CM
 Car choice help - Fenlander
I 100% accept you or your people may be anti Citroen sooty... in whch case read no further.... but

I don't know where they are in values but I'm very very keen on the newish C3 Picasso. It is said to have a big car ride/refinement unlike the Note which has a firm ride particularly in town. The C3 is also very practical and roomy.
 Car choice help - Badwolf
>> Thanks for that is the rio comfortable?

To be honest, I don't know. I just knew that Kia do very long warranties :-)
 Car choice help - movilogo
Go for Kia Soul. For elderly, it is very easy to get in and out.

Available in automatics too. Long warranty for peace of mind.

Nissan Note is good though. Hyundai i10 may be another option.

Car choice help - Dog
Have a butchers at the Renault Modus.
>> Have a butchers at the Renault Modus.
>>

He already has one and is looking for a change, nothing wrong with it good car infact.
 Car choice help - Old Sock
>> Go for Kia Soul. For elderly, it is very easy to get in and out.

Funny how the OP doesn't actually mention his father's age, which could be mid-30's for all we know :-)
 Car choice help - WillDeBeest
Unlikely, OS. Sooty's posts use punctuation and whole words, correctly spelt. This makes Sooty him/herself at least 35.
};---)
 Car choice help - Boxsterboy
As economy and comfort are priorities, I would steer him in the direction of a diesel Note or C3 Picasso.
Last edited by: Boxsterboy on Fri 14 May 10 at 19:13
 Car choice help - Auntie Lockbrakes
Am surprised that no-one's mentioned a Yaris yet?

The OP has thousands of cars to choose from! Best off asking his father for more criteria, i.e. does he need or want 4 doors, or will 2 suffice? Is a large boot important? Are running and insurance costs also important factors?

Won't 10K buy a lot of Ford Focus?
>> Unlikely, OS. Sooty's posts use punctuation and whole words, correctly spelt. This makes Sooty him/herself
>> at least 35.
>> };---)
>>

How dare you, how very dare you sir! ;-) Still in my 20s, just went to a good skool innit. Thanks for all the help, Toyota Auris, Picasso C3 was a good suggestion and well received, seem to be the front runners at the moment.

5 door is favoured over 3 door, fairly low running costs are important. Thanks for the help anyone with experience of the mentioned cars, could you post any of your experiences.
 Car choice help - Dog
The Note is 'based' on the Modus which your dad has already.

Many Auris's are 'Made in England' if that means anything to you (as is the Note)
 Car choice help - corax
Leave the Auris alone. Not one of the best cars Toyota has made, came 75th in the Driver Power car survey, criticised for comfort, if that's one of your priorities.

Kia Cee'd, Hyundai i30, Honda Jazz, Skoda Fabia?
 Car choice help - RattleandSmoke
The Clio is quite a nice car to drive but that money you might just about be able to get a bog spec pre reg Focus.

If we wanted to fit in with the rest of the OAPS then the Kia/Hyudundai is worth a look. Forget the Rio it belongs in the cheap and nasty Kia days, its a good car if you get a good discount on it but for £10k there are just so much better options.

The I30 is supposed to be a very good car so will be worth considering.

You should easily be able to buy a good spec Nissan Note for £10k nice looking and subtle cars.
 Car choice help - Ambo
Hyundai i30>>

Excellent (if rather dull) car but stick to 15" wheels as the ride is already rather firm. Expect about 43 mpg overall.
 Car choice help - Avant
If comfort is important your Dad needs to find dealer who will allow him a good long test drive. Skoda dealers are often good at thie so he should have the Fabia on his list.
He could get a new basic Fabia for £10k or near;y-new higher up the range.

Don't forget the Suzuki Swift - very good value and he can get a new one for £10k.

C3 Picasso, Note and Clio are certainly worth considering, as is the Jazz, but the Note and Clio won't be much of a change from the Modus.
Remember most dealers are doing good offers against list. So you can get a Fabia for cheaper than you might imagine.

Hyundai are not discounting much, no idea about Kia but Skoda seem to be discounting quite a bit.

www.carquake.co.uk/new-Skoda-Fabia/Hatchback_5_Door

That is not a lot more than I paid for my Panda, but the 1.2 is probably too slow.

The Skoda came high up on my list of choices but just didn't need the extra space.
Had a look around today at some of the cars suggested. First we went to a kia dealer to look at both the venga and ceed. Impressed with both, however the salesman was on his own and we couldn't have a test drive. Next to the i30 to compare and dad wasn't too impressed by the salesman and the fact the ceed was nicer inside we went to look at the auris. This was probably the best car of the day and was comfortable with a nice interior and the good on price. Last we went to the C3 picasso the least impressive of the day, the car was OK looked nice but a few more corners had been cut on the inside compared with the others. The engine (1.6 HDi) was too noisy and seemed like an old fashioned diesel although it was quick enough. The salesman was too pushy along with going around the houses on price.
'How much do you want for yours?'
'Well what's your best price for mine?'
'Well if you want it tell me what your budget is and we can do a deal.'

This was a typical conversation after the test drive and shortly left after. Next to test Cilo, Fabia and the Auris again.
I always walk away from dealers like that, if they can't give you a price they are trying to rip you off.
 Car choice help - corax
Don't let me put you off the Auris if you like the car. I find the seats in this and the Avensis a bit short in the base cushion, with the result that my (longish) legs aren't supported properly. However, my mum and dad, who are shorter, find them really comfortable. One of the drawbacks of the Auris was that it wasn't good value compared with it's competitors, but if you find one at a reasonable price, and you like it, go for one.
 Car choice help - Iffy
...One of the drawbacks of the Auris was that it wasn't good value...

I thought the same, but the OP describes the Auris as 'good on price', so it looks like the goalposts have moved.

If I could equally afford an Auris, Fabia or Clio, I'd have an Auris.

It has more the feel of a proper car, while the Clio is a supermini, and the Fabia feels a bit like one.
 Car choice help - Dog
Aitchieboy John say's about the Auris ~

Good: Decent combination of ride and handling that will suit a lot of people better than a Golf or a Civic. Quick yet soft T180 2.2 diesel.

Bad: Unadventurous styling.
 Car choice help - corax
I was just trying to edit my message but was too late...

What I was going to say was that the car surveys I mentioned like Driver Power are there to guide people, but they aren't written in stone. In the end it's down to personal choice.
Well a choice has been made..... (drum roll please)

A skoda fabia estate 1.2 TSI elegance. Got a good deal as skoda are still doing the VAT free offer, and a good price on the part ex. Thanks everyone.
 Car choice help - Dog
>>Well a choice has been made<<

Good choice comrade soot ~ I eye up one of those every morning when I take bubba for a walk,
the more I look at it, the more I think its a well thought out design.
We got 1st free MOT, three years service, every month a free fluid top and valet inside and out for £15 a month.
Latest Forum Posts