Motoring Discussion > Commercial Vehicle Museum prog on BBC4 last night Miscellaneous
Thread Author: hobby Replies: 27

Commercial Vehicle Museum prog on BBC4 last night - hobby
Anyone else see that programme they did on the Commercial Vehicle Museum in Leyland shown last night?

It certainly showed the dangers of letting the "helpers" get too much power! There were some lovely looking vehicles in the museum though...

I tried to visit the place a couple of years ago, but despite it being a weekend it was shut, so I wasn't surprised when they said that they were struggling... Hope it keeps going, though, with any luck I may get up that way again.
 Commercial Vehicle Museum prog on BBC4 last night - Zero
For those that didnt (inlcuding me) here is the Iplayer link

bbc.co.uk/i/scr08/
 Commercial Vehicle Museum prog on BBC4 last night - Badwolf
Thanks Zero. I was working last night so I recorded it and am watching it now.

My Dad used to take me and my brother there when we were kiddiwinks and so I have very fond memories of the place.

I was in Leyland a while back and had time to kill so thought I'd revisit past times but, due to them not accepting debit cards I couldn't. I did think that, despite the costs involved with accepting cards, it was very much a missed opportunity for the museum.

I love old vehicles of all types, especially buses, so it would be a huge shame to me if the museum had to close. The new director seems to be trying his best to improve things but it stymied by the egos (egoes?) of some of the volunteers. He seemed to have it spot on when he said that a lot of the volunteers were grounded in 1970s trade unionism.
 Commercial Vehicle Museum prog on BBC4 last night - Phil F
Hi,
Have been to the museum twice,once some years ago and again last year.It has a great atmosphere about it with some amazing vehicles,especially the buses/coaches.
We talked to one of the volunteer helpers for a while,he was knowledgeable and helpfull.
I haven't seen the programme yet,should be interesting...
Cheers.....Phil.
 Commercial Vehicle Museum prog on BBC4 last night - Old Navy
>> The new director seems to be
>> trying his best to improve things but it stymied by the egos (egoes?) of some
>> of the volunteers. He seemed to have it spot on when he said that a
>> lot of the volunteers were grounded in 1970s trade unionism.
>>

I expect these volunteers will complain the loudest and blame everyone trying to save the place when it goes the same way as Leyland.
 Commercial Vehicle Museum prog on BBC4 last night - L'escargot
>> a
>> >> lot of the volunteers were grounded in 1970s trade unionism.

He'd obviously never needed the protection and assistance of a trade union.
 Commercial Vehicle Museum prog on BBC4 last night - Badwolf
>> He'd obviously never needed the protection and assistance of a trade union.

True - I'm very much for trade unions, but they have to move with the times and the attitudes of old have no place in today's society.

A friend of mine works for a one of the other large bus companies and the drivers at his garage are to take a vote on strike action over this year's pay claim. Whilst being a supporter of TUs, I think that this is pointless as all the company concerned will do is draft in supervisors and inspectors from all over the country to drive the buses, thus rendering the strike pointless.
>> >> a
>> >> >> lot of the volunteers were grounded in 1970s trade unionism.
>>
>> He'd obviously never needed the protection and assistance of a trade union.

Just as well really, most are useless at the very function they were set up for.
>> Just as well really, most are useless at the very function they were set up
>> for.
>>

Seconded.
 Commercial Vehicle Museum prog on BBC4 last night - Pat

Seconded twice!

Most unions have turned themselves into expensive insurance companies for their members and have completely lost what they are supposed to do.

Pat
Jezz - what a sad and bitter man that tax inspector.
 Commercial Vehicle Museum prog on BBC4 last night - RattleandSmoke
I watched it and it makes me scared to grow old if that is how transport loving OAPs turn out!

The programme makes the musuem look like lower school playground!
Becoming a sad old git is optional, Rattle, I got the impression that there were some narrow minded people in the programme. Keep an open outlook, travel, see how others do things, and you won't go far wrong. It amazes me that people can go abroad on holiday for a couple of weeks and never leave the hotel full of Brits. What a waste of an opportunity, and certainly not travel.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 14 May 10 at 20:29
 Commercial Vehicle Museum prog on BBC4 last night - bathtub tom
>>It amazes me that people can go abroad on holiday for a couple of weeks and never leave the hotel full of Brits

Just back from the Canaries, where the other occupants of the apartments couldn't understand why we walked to a restaurant every evening when we had a hire car.

SWMBO won't drive a LHD and I wanted to share the bottle of wine!

They'll never see a caldera because the coaches don't go there, 2KM up, 1KM across and 200M deep. I never have before.

tinyurl.com/2uterll

tinyurl.com/2vm7b34
Lazy gits, I sometimes walk 3 miles just because I cannot be bothered to drive! Although now I have a nice car I suspect I will be driving more.
Which is why we never go on beach holidays... this year its Kassel and the Mosel valley in Germany...

I'm not 100% why he compared it to the 70s Unions, though, it seemed more like grumpy old men to me, though the phrases the guy was using when discussing things in their meeting did sound like "TU Speak"...
Last edited by: hobby on Sun 16 May 10 at 08:56
Nothing wrong with a beach holiday. Have had many beach holidays where just the wife I and son have had acres of beach to ourselves. Laterly with acres to run the dog on as well.

The trick is to choose one where the car park is more than 5 yards from the beach, one that hs no beach shop selling Cornetto and kiss me dick hats, and to walk more than 15 yards from the main access point.
I like beaches but the idea of a crap spanish resort full of beer swigging brits and hot dog eating germans is my idea of hell. If the city itself is good then there is no problem. I like places like Llandudno, Brighton, Barcelona etc because the cities them selves are great.

Blackpool however is my idea of hell.
 Commercial Vehicle Museum prog on BBC4 last night - bathtub tom
>>Blackpool however is my idea of hell.

You've never been to Rhyl then? Handy for PU's holidays I should think.
Not a lover of Bratwurst then Rattle?

Its the only thing worth eating in Germany.
Must be a different Germany I visited to you two over the past 10 years then...
Ok name some good german food other than wurst? Its a gastromic wasteland.
 Commercial Vehicle Museum prog on BBC4 last night - Bagpuss
Schweinebraten, Schnitzel, Maulentaschen, Spaetzle to name a few and depending where you are in the country. Cheeses are also excellent.

I have to admit I'm not a big fan of German cuisine even though I live here. I do find it's generally very good quality and reasonably priced compared to what gets served in restaurants when I'm back in the UK.
I love all german things really but I am not a fan of their music. Kraftwerk is as good as it gets.

Thanks BP... my thoughts are the same... much prefer eating out over there to over here mainly because when I'm over there I can get genuine German food rather than "anything but British" we get over here...

Aren't we a little off subject, though?!
 Commercial Vehicle Museum prog on BBC4 last night - Iffy
...Aren't we a little off subject, though?!...

Yes we are.

But the OP can't do anything about it because we are all volunteers and he has no power over us.

Which is my tortuous may of pointing out the problems an organisation can face if it has to rely on volunteers.

>> Thanks BP... my thoughts are the same... much prefer eating out over there to over
>> here mainly because when I'm over there I can get genuine German food rather than
>> "anything but British" we get over here...

Like magnificent pies? Roasted meats? lamb chops you could die for? yorkshire puddings? Sunday roasts in a pub with a blazing log fire and fine ale. English strawberries, Rhubarb. Clotted cream teas.

I can tell you of places where british food would take your breath away

And not to mention the Curry. Uniquely british.

Dint get me wrong, A good wurst with a fine glass of pilsner deserves its place in a gastromic dictionary. The section under "german" would be pretty thin tho.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 16 May 10 at 19:34
Perhaps its just personal preference, Zero, rather than Germany being a gastranomic "wasteland"?

I don't like anything spicy, and whilst I'll eat pastas i'm not a big fan... I prefer the traditional cooking from northern and central Europe rather than Asian or Medditeranian foods, so yes I do like some of the stuff you mention, but not Baltis! Thats why I'm quite happy with proper German cooking... its a wasteland, its just what suits your palate, and out in the sticks you tend get more traditional stuff rather than endless Chinese/Curry/Pasta houses you seem to get in every town in this country.
Last edited by: hobby on Mon 17 May 10 at 15:49
Latest Forum Posts