Motoring Discussion > Peugeot 205 - I might need a cheap car, is this worth it? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: FotheringtonTomas Replies: 9

Peugeot 205 - I might need a cheap car, is this worth it? - FotheringtonTomas
Peugeot 205 XLD 1.8

In "excellent running condition" (the inside's knackered? The outside? Both?) J Reg (it's flippin' old!). 81K. 3 new tyres. T&T Dec 2010 £450/offers.

Slow & economical? Reliability? Have you had one before & can comment?
 Peugeot 205 - I might need a cheap car, is this worth it? - Fenlander
These were a cult car in their day with that nice (for its time) diesel in a tiny car giving surprising oomph and amazing economy. But boy it's old as you say! You got to be looking at everything really. Engine, cooling system, gearbox & clutch, corrosion, elec things not working, suspension bushes/shocks/joints, brakes, steering... and so on!
 Peugeot 205 - I might need a cheap car, is this worth it? - Stuu
If the car has evidence of ongoing maintainance, then maybe, yes. Check the miles are correct as thats very low for one of them, usually they are 150k+ by now.
One of the best Pugs of that era. As for is it old, well does age really matter? Its not like the 205 rusts and most components on cars of the last 20 years last a fair while, usually longer than the cars natural lifespan, so unless you can see fluids leaking out of a power steering rack for instance and it goes and stops nice, why not?

You coul prob sell that on ebay for more than £450, people are paying good money for them atm, more than they are realistically worth.
 Peugeot 205 - I might need a cheap car, is this worth it? - mattbod
205s are becoming quite rare around my parts. Great little car from what I remember so if it's in nice condition snap it up!
 Peugeot 205 - I might need a cheap car, is this worth it? - -
I like them but i have a feeling in me water that it may well have non assisted steering like the 309 that Stu was asking about a few weeks ago.
The SDTD was the one to have, all the extras in bottle green it was a lovely little motor.

If this particular motor doesn't grab you have you considered a 106/Saxo instead, petrol or Diesel they are both very economical and even better rustwise IMO than the 205, airbagged too....higher spec come with power steering.
 Peugeot 205 - I might need a cheap car, is this worth it? - FocalPoint
I had a J reg 205 (petrol, 1124 cc) for several years and it was an absolute joy to drive. Surprisingly comfortable, great handling, precise steering, though I suspect crash safety was rather poor. Economical (60+ mpg) - the diesel must be even better. The design of the rear suspension (torsion bars plus horizontal dampers below the floor) gave a lot of room in the rear, for a small hatchback.

"..the 205 is widely regarded as a modern classic," says Wikipedia, correctly in my view.
Last edited by: ChrisPeugeot on Mon 10 May 10 at 19:01
 Peugeot 205 - I might need a cheap car, is this worth it? - AshT
I had a 205 diesel - the non turbo version. Performance for a n/a diesel was pretty good, comfortable in the typical French car way, great to drive, and the economy was excellent.

Mine had power steering, I think the base spec models didn't. I sold it with over 200k on the clock, still running superbly with no rust on the body. The only problem I had in a year and 20k miles was a driveshaft failing.
 Peugeot 205 - I might need a cheap car, is this worth it? - Zero
As everyone says, the 205 was a magnificent little car, handling ride, feel all delightful

Its 18 years old, and you have to remember it was a supermini, built down to a price.

Unless it been mollycoddled its gonna be a money pit.

I dont think that mileage is genuine either, tho it has to be said, I picked up a 94 cavalier for my son, with 49k on the clock that is, as far as I can tell, genuine.
 Peugeot 205 - I might need a cheap car, is this worth it? - R.P.
Saw a D plated one today MOT'd until Christmas - 250 quid, petrol. I can get the number for you on Wednesday.
 Peugeot 205 - I might need a cheap car, is this worth it? - Mr Moo
I had an '87 GRD as my first car. My Dad bought it as a demonstrator with 600 odd miles on it and ran it to 104,000. I then ran it to 130,000 before getting distracted by something in a short skirt and running into the back of the car in front! Result - written off.

Great little car and my thoughts are in line with other posters. They don't seem to rust. The n/a diesel is bombproof (more so than the turbos), but various bits of trim and some electrics were fragile then (the door mirror just dropped off one day and the clock stopped working some time in 1995) and will be very fragile now. Bit heavy on wheel bearings and driveshafts, presumably because of the weight of the diesel lump. Not what you'd call quick, but happy to cruise at 80 mph once you'd got up to that sort of speed.

Seriously thought of getting another a few years ago 'for old times sake' until Mrs Moo desired a Nissan Figaro!
Latest Forum Posts