Motoring Discussion > Audi - Spoilt for choice Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 10

Audi - Spoilt for choice - L'escargot
As part of my research into choosing a new car, I've just ordered online an Audi catalogue.
In the section where you have to declare your title you are given a choice of .................

Company
Dame
Dr
Lady
Lord
Miss
Mr
Mrs
Ms
Prof
Sir

I was tempted to tick "Dr", "Lord", "Prof" or "Sir" but I thought that that would be being a bit ostentatious! For my first name I just put my initial to try to stop Audi UK being over-familiar!
 Audi - Spoilt for choice - henry k
>>For my first name I just put my initial to try to stop Audi UK being over-familiar!
>>
I get emails addressed to Dear H as a result of my inputs.
Some sites are now demanding a minimum of three letters so what shall I use?
EEE should do then I will get DearEee.
Any other suggestions ( apart from "Go elsewhere" ?
 Audi - Spoilt for choice - Number_Cruncher
>>Some sites are now demanding a minimum of three letters so what shall I use?

Lud
 Audi - Spoilt for choice - DP
I was most pleased to discover that a shop I worked in 15 years ago was still receiving junk mail until very recently from a would-be supplier, addressed to a Mr. Yobbo Theseus Sputnik.

We were very bored.
Last edited by: DP on Tue 11 Sep 12 at 17:16
 Audi - Spoilt for choice - TeeCee
At a place I worked a letter found its way to me from a supplier, addressed to "Mr Goods Inwards" and starting "Dear Mr Inwards".

Brightened my day.
 Audi - Spoilt for choice - Duncan
Let's say my name is Duncan Adams. I received a letter from a company addressed to Ms A D A Duncan. It took me a few seconds to get my head round that!
 Audi - Spoilt for choice - sherlock47
>>>Some sites are now demanding a minimum of three letters so what shall I use?<<

No.6 :)

ok I know it is 4 !
 Audi - Spoilt for choice - madf
My name is "Number Three"..

As in The Prisoner.. or summat.
 Audi - Spoilt for choice - Shiny
I always choose different titles or initials to help identify junk mail original sources.
 Audi - Spoilt for choice - L'escargot
>> I always choose different titles or initials to help identify junk mail original sources.
>>

Good idea. Here's a good list to choose from. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_titles I don't suppose it's a crime to use one to which you're not entitled provided you're not attempting to gain in any way by doing so.
 Audi - Spoilt for choice - ultimate thread drift? - sherlock47
>> My name is "Number Three"..
>>
>> As in The Prisoner.. or summat.
>>
That was what I was alluding to :)

From Wikipedia

Number Six is the central fictional character in the 1960s television series The Prisoner, played by Patrick McGoohan.

In several episodes, his attempts to escape his prison the Village would be foiled, either by Number Two, the place's chief administrator, who was frequently changed, or by Rover, an enigmatic artificial guardian that resembles a weather balloon.

Much of Number Six's background is kept a mystery during the series, and not even his true name is revealed. In the first episode, it is stated that he was born on 19 March 1928 (the same date as McGoohan's birthday), and that he held a position of some responsibility with the British government, possibly in some branch of British Intelligence, but the exact nature of his job is not known. Several episodes suggest that he was a spy or similar operative (code number ZM-73, as well as several other aliases). He is shown to be highly sagacious, if not a genius, with tremendous proficiency and expertise in subjects ranging from fencing, boxing and marksmanship; to mathematics, languages and astronomy.

A central theme in the series was Number Two's attempt to discover why Number Six resigned from his position.

Many people as well as the series itself postulate that those in control of the Village are either testing Number Six, or actually want to know why he resigned. Even according to McGoohan during subsequent interviews, the answer is not clear. For if the Village is testing him, to see if he will tell his 'state secrets,' that is one thing. However, others suggest that the Village wanted to find why he resigned first, hoping that this revelation would unleash a torrent of other information. (At least one Number Two believes that it would: in "The Chimes of Big Ben", Number Two states, "If he will answer one simple question, the rest will follow: Why did he resign?")

In any event, following this encounter, Number Six appears to escape the Village. However, his ultimate fate is not revealed and in the closing credits as he enters his original house, the hearse—seen in the opening credits when the occupant gets out and gasses the Prisoner through his door letter box—appears to drive by again. In interviews, McGoohan has repeatedly maintained that "[the Prisoner] hasn't got [his freedom]".
Last edited by: pmh on Fri 14 Sep 12 at 17:12
Latest Forum Posts