Motoring Discussion > Insurance is driving me mad Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Redfire Replies: 11

Insurance is driving me mad - Redfire
For the last 4 years my long term common law partner and I have jointly owned a car. The car is registered in my name because the DVLA will only register one name otherwise we would have had two included (The dealer did this without asking in any case). We have used my partners insurance and NCB to insure this vehicle to keep her NCB alive for 4 years to date.

This year I am experiencing difficulty getting car insurance on this basis because my lady is not the registered keeper of the car. If I transfer the keeper into her name the DVLA will record it as a change of keeper which I don't really want.

The insurance broker is telling me that if I was stopped by the Police and the car was not insured in my name as the registered keeper there would be a problem!

What problem would the Police have with this? the car and all drivers are insured.

We have another car that I own and insure in my name with the lady as the named driver in order for us both to drive both cars.

When I drove company cars the company owned and registered the car and I insured it so I cannot see the difference here.
Apparently, if we get married it will not be a problem so maybe a wedding is the order of the day. LOL
 Insurance is driving me mad - FotheringtonTomas
>> What problem would the Police have with this?

You could try asking them.
 Insurance is driving me mad - RattleandSmoke
I had the same problem, I just put my dads car in my named via DVLA for a few weeks and then transfered back. That is the lovely thing about bangers, it dosn't matter if it has had 100 previous owners!
 Insurance is driving me mad - John H

>>
>> This year I am experiencing difficulty getting car insurance on this basis because my lady
>> is not the registered keeper of the car. If I transfer the keeper into her
>> name the DVLA will record it as a change of keeper which I don't really
>> want.
>>

Ask your broker to try a little harder. For example
www.churchill.com/motor/car_assumptions.htm
The vehicle is owned and registered by you, your spouse, partner or civil partner (not business partner) at your address and you, your spouse, partner or civil partner (not business partner) are the main driver of the vehicle.
 Insurance is driving me mad - Zero
if you are named on the Policy, the police will have no problem.

You also wont get an ANPR pull because the car is on the insurance database.

Its a non issue really. you dont have to be the registered keeper to insure the car.
Superb, many thanks for all your reassuring advice, much appreciated.
 Insurance is driving me mad - mikeyb
I had this problem as my car is leased. From memory one of the comparison sites asked the question about me being the registered keeper and I still got a fair few quotes
 Insurance is driving me mad - bathtub tom
I've two cars, both registered in my name. SWMBO's the policyholder and main driver of one, me t'other.

The only problem I've experienced is that not all insurance companies will quote on the first, but they're the exception rather than the majority.

SWMBO needed business use on hers, Sheila's wheels came up trumps with the same premium (more or less) as the previous insurer. My insurer covered mine for business use for both of us for no extra premium, even though I don't need that cover, but it gives her the option of using either car if the need arises.

The next time I change a car I'll make sure one is registered in SWMBO's name just to avoid any possible problems.
 Insurance is driving me mad - Bromptonaut
The broker needs to try harder. An insured/keeper mismatch can provoke additional questions from a prospective insurer as it may indicate a low risk proposer "fronting" for a higher risk user. They should however be re-assured if further questions disclose that you and your partner are broadly similar risk etc.

The guy who says its a police issue is making it up as he goes along!!
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 6 May 10 at 20:43
I emailed Surrey Police via their website and a nice lady called me this morning and said the Police would have no problem whatsoever with what we are trying to do.

The two brokers I have spoken to are obviously not understanding their product/industry properly.

Many thanks for everyone's input
 Insurance is driving me mad - BobbyG
My wife's car is in her name, but my insurance. And vice versa. Can't remember how we got into this state!!
Latest Forum Posts