Motoring Discussion > Selling and being paid in readies. Buying / Selling
Thread Author: FotheringtonTomas Replies: 15

Selling and being paid in readies. - FotheringtonTomas
Me 'ol mucker's got a Golf 1.9 130 from 2003 up for sale at about £4,250. A bloke's going to see him from London tonight, with a stack of readies to pay (if he decides to buy it).

Is there anything to watch out for when being paid in cash?
 Selling and being paid in readies. - Runfer D'Hills
I think, if it was me and the buyer wanted to pay cash, I'd insist that he/she did so in a bank where the cash could be verified and paid straight into an account. Once upon a time I'd have trusted my own judgement but I'm afraid now I'd be more careful.
 Selling and being paid in readies. - R.P.
Careful is the watchword - fake tenners and twenites abound and fifities are difficult to use even if real. You'd have to physically check each note with a UV pen as well as check them for feel etc. The other risk is that as soon as the transaction is made that the seller is mugged for his money by accomplices' As Hmph says the best place to do this is in a Bank.

My own experience ?

I sold a motorbike for 1800 quid to a lad from Dundee - he paid me with Scots Fifities and Twenties but I traded them at a Bank of Scotland branch locally - although the teller gave me a funny look.

I sold the Roomie for cash but took the precautions of taking a very big friend with me - the buyer in this case was from EBay but was a proper company with VAT registrations - all double checked before I met him. The Big Friend speaks very softly but is capable of wielding a very big stick, he was mistaken in my wedding for a Doorman !
 Selling and being paid in readies. - Stuu
Ive got one of those ultraviolet (?) scanners for cash. Dont use it much but it gives some confidence when dealing with large sums of cash. Cost me about a tenner I think.
You can get some sort of pen thing as well which marks a real note in brown.
 Selling and being paid in readies. - Iffy
...of taking a very big friend with me...

One of the few times I've met a man who used a minder/driver was a retail customer at the Renault garage in London.

He was paying cash for a new car.

I sat him down in the little panelled office in the showroom to take the money, and it took me a few minutes to realise who the big guy was who was standing by the door.

Perfectly straightforward transaction in all other respects.
As was mine - in a very nice hotel in Chester - buyer paid for the tea ! My friend sat as discretely as he could with a small table balanced on his knees - it was very amusing to watch him ! The seller had made eye contact with him and knew which way the wind was blowing no doubt. I was my usual affable self. Amazing the amount of confidence he gave me though as we walked back to the car.
 Selling and being paid in readies. - WobblyDog
All this talk of taking "big friends" with you reminds me of Jack Carter's line in Get Carter when Cliff Brumby has taken a swing at him: "You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself." (and then Carter hits him). You'll either remember the scene or you won't...

I think I'd be inclined to be accompanied by a wiry friend with a mad staring eye and mild Tourette's :)
I didn't have one to hand !
 Selling and being paid in readies. - Zero
My careers master never mentioned that as a vocation.
My careers master matched the job spec....
 Selling and being paid in readies. - Old Sock
A true classic, WobblyDog :-)

"In a thin glass!"
 Selling and being paid in readies. - L'escargot
>> You can get some sort of pen thing as well which marks a real note
>> in brown.

Staples sell them. tinyurl.com/3x5zdav
 Selling and being paid in readies. - Bellboy
do a google of his house before he comes
that tells you spades beforehand
(be wary of broken windows,dumped avengers in the front garden and packs of dogs in the foreground)
none has mentioned calling in interpol to be on hand for this pile of money thick enough to choke a donkey........
 Selling and being paid in readies. - WobblyDog
"thick enough to choke a donkey........"

Bellboy - you are Carcoat Damphands and I claim my tenner! :)
 Selling and being paid in readies. - Runfer D'Hills
Funnily enough a friend sold his car just yesterday. Buyer wanted to pay cash so he agreed to meet her in her bank. Watched the money being withdrawn and handed the car and docs over there and then. He then walked to his own bank and paid the cash in. Took a taxi to the auction, bought another car and paid with his debit card. Happy Bunny.
Latest Forum Posts