Motoring Discussion > F1 and general motorsport discussion - Vol 1   [Read only] Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 107

F1 and general motorsport discussion - Vol 1 - VxFan

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 2 *****

As the title suggests, a place to discuss Formula One, and all other types of motorsport (excluding MotoGP, which has a section of its own).

PLEASE NOTE:-

To try and maintain some kind of logical order of discussion, if you start a new subject then reply to this post and remember to change the default subject header.

Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 27 Jun 10 at 19:29

The F1 & motorsport thread - henry k
With the start of the season fast approaching ( 12-14 March ) who is going to be the top team / man this year.

BMW, McLaren and Renault were the fastest in the last tests but Ferrari are still hiding and Mercedes must be in with a shout.

We live in interesting times. With heavier cars all the more to push over the line :-)

The F1 & motorsport thread - Zero
Contructors championship I predict

1 Ferrari
2 McLaren
3 Red Bull
4 Mercedes

Drivers championship

1 Alonso
2 Hamilton
3 Massa
4 Vettel
5 Schumacher
6 Button
7 Webber

The F1 & motorsport thread - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/jonathanlegard/2010/03/when-patrick-head-talks-you.html
Some interesting background comment on the start of the season.

Bahrain GP practice under way - Focusless
news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/default.stm

Bahrain GP - henry k
Well that was rather boring.

news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8567043.stm

From the above link
"You start with fuel, you do one stop and it's pretty much a train all the way."
"......raised the prospect of some races becoming processional.

I think there was some overtaking........in the pit lane :-(

A season of "races " like that will not bring in the punters.

Bahrain GP - crocks
After the build up and all the car and driver changes I was really looking forward to this race.

However I was rather disappointed and underwhelmed. The featureless circuit doesn't help but things will have to change to keep me interested.

The only things that impressed me were the three second tyre changes.

Bahrain GP - Westpig
less downforce, thinner tyres....then they'll be closer together in the corners and will be able to slip stream for overtakes

as it is, the 'dirty air' from a car in front spanner's someone's down force and they can't keep up in the preceding corner to be close enough for a slip stream on the straight

Bahrain GP - Dwight Van Driver
Boring ,boring,boring despite all the BCC 1 hype.

Will some deck the bloke who flits about the pit start and with bad manners pushes his way in front of people who do not want to speak to him. His contibution is zero.

Would BBC note also that one cannot decipher the words of the commontaters drowned out by the constant loud whine of the cars.

If you want racing then go to the two wheel coverage of superbikes etc. Real racing with no processions, overtaking and riders showing a willingness to win.

F1? as exiting as fairground dodgems. Pah

dvd
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 14 Mar 10 at 18:45

Bahrain GP - smokie
" the bloke who flits about the pit start " - that's one of the highlights for me. At least Brundle has been there an done it. And BBC coverage has been brilliant. They had some great items before yesterdays's quallies, good content and well presented.

I'd have to agree about the race being pretty dull though :-(

Bahrain GP - henry k
>>At least Brundle has been there an done it.
>>
I used to enjoy his quick chat with motoring types and Bernie though not with the other hangers on.
The logic of engineering the drivers off the grid but allowing loads of "guests" to remain eludes me ( and Brundle)

Bharain? Bah-humbug more like! - oilburner
Dreadful stuff. For the first time I years I was actually looking forward to the start of this season. I must have been taken in by the hype.

What a load of dross Bahrain was. It clearly didn't help the spectacle by removing the re-fuelling, it only made the pit-stops shorter, so less chance of anyone actually changing places.

I was thinking about what has gone wrong with the sport last night, and the only thing I can think of is that the drivers are too complacent.

There doesn't seem enough motivation to *risk* overtaking. It seems so easy to incur a 15 second penalty or worse yet, a black flag/points deducted post-race, so that nobody dares do anything at all. Obviously, they don't want to crash and not finish the race either, so what happens? Nothing, because it's easier to do nothing and get some points in the bag than attempt an overtake and crash out or risk the wrath of the FIA.

The drivers and teams seem way too happy to be slinking in to any position they can and just don't care enough about the outright win, or so it appears.

Something more fundamental needs to change, or F1 is dead in the water.

Bharain? Bah-humbug more like! - smokie
"Something more fundamental needs to change, or F1 is dead in the water."

I don't disagree at all, but people have been saying this for at least the last four years, and it isn't!!

People said for years that Rover was as good as finished, and guess what, they were right in the end!

:)

A couple more seasons like this, and it's going to be very hard for TV networks to keep viewers interested. Once the TV revenue dries up, what then?

Not that I want to see F1 curl up and die, I just wish I knew what the answer was to genuinely revitalise it.

Bharain? Bah-humbug more like! - Focusless
>> Not that I want to see F1 curl up and die I just wish I
>> knew what the answer was to genuinely revitalise it.

Random positions on the starting grid.

Nice idea, but wouldn't that lead to 1-2 laps of interesting racing, as the slower cars make their way to the back of the grid, followed by 40+ laps of processional driving?

This is one tough nut to crack.

Bharain? Bah-humbug more like! - Stuu
It was certainly a dull race, but then its not a race that has ever excited me anyway, so Im going to give it a few more races before I pass final judgement on the season. The only significant thing for me was that Button was way behind Hamilton ( predictable but nice to have it confirmed ) and Scu had a very quiet afternoon.
I think they need to stretch the points gaps in the top 5 even further so that there is even more incentive to make each extra place up.

Im also thinking that come halfway in the season, some teams will smell blood and pull their finger out knowing they can jump someone in the championship. Its easy to plod around when you know you have 18 other races to go.

Bharain? Bah-humbug more like! - Armel Coussine
Bit boring, but it's a slightly boring circuit. Too soon to say what the racing will be like later. Webber with his usual luck. Button had better watch out. Kobayashi gained four places before his car broke, perhaps through attrition though.

Alonso was always a winner anyway in the right car. He says the season is going to be boring. Of course I'm sure he hopes it will.

Is Lewis Hamilton better at operating the moveable-buttock airflow aid than his teammate? I thought he was the only driver consistently able to make the ghastly Kers system work for him.

Bharain? Bah-humbug more like! - car bore
I first started watching F1 in 1990, with refuelling being introduced in 1994. Therefore I don't think the absence of refuelling is the only reason for a tedious race as in the early 1990's there were some great races. The design of the cars now and also the durability of the tyres means that overtaking is difficult. The rules concerning cost cutting mean that F1 is now a sport where agression has been replaced by the need to be careful and conserve the car (engines, gearboxes etc). It would be like a football match where rather than both teams going on the pitch to score, both teams try desperately not to concede resulting in a boring match.

Bharain? Bah-humbug more like! - henry k
>>The only significant thing for me was that Button was way behind Hamilton
>>( predictable but nice to have it confirmed )
>>
Predictable that Button has a lot more to learn about the car which shows in his qualifying performance.
IIRC he was just stuck in a queue and could have gone quicker but as we know overtaking is almost impossible.

news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8567100.stm
At the bottom a seven minute interview with Button.

Bharain? Bah-humbug more like! - Stuu
>>Predictable that Button has a lot more to learn about the car which shows in his qualifying performance.<<

Id be happily proven wrong, but I suspect he will be still learning about the car at the end of the season.
Another noteworthy river was Webber, not for his driving but his constant moaning - is he now the duly elected 'moany old woman ' for the paddock?

Bharain? Bah-humbug more like! - Glaikit Wee Scunner Snr. {P}
Car overheating when they follow the car in front?

Pah, not fit for purpose. Ever since electric cooling fans came in , never had cooling problems. Wanna buy a Kenlowe fan Jenson?

Bharain? Bah-humbug more like! - madf
I watched the start and snoozed during the next hour.

It made the England Scotland rugby match look exciting.

Dreadful. Not entertainment.

I will not bother with the next one.

F1 is the Emperor with no clothes.

Bharain? Bah-humbug more like! - kensitas
Echo the the general 'boring' comments above - shopping for socks would be an adrenaline rush in comparison.

From reports in my Guardian this morning, it seems BE is already thinking of suggesting mandatory extra pit-stops & 'short-cuts' beside the main track to allow overtaking when drivers can't, err, overtake 'normally'.

I'm not sure why the re-fuelling was expunged from the rules (safety?) but the net effect, it seems to me, is that:

- 'passing' in the pits will be much less available as a strategy.
- the dynamic differences between cars with different fuel loads (which often allowed the performance differential essential for some overtakes) is essentially, negated.

All in all, a massive own goal in terms of interest & excitement - what were they (or he)
thinking of?

btw - I'm a 'refugee' from ToP too - smoking theme continued in my moniker.

Bharain? Bah-humbug more like! - Zero
You were called "players navy cut" before?

Lets be fair here. This is the biggest change in rules all in one go for a while. The teams were on new ground and had no idea what to expect. So they took it a bit carefully.

Plus - thats one boring track, it does not deserve a place on the F1 calendar.

Bharain? Bah-humbug more like! - kensitas
You were called "players navy cut" before?

Less the nautical & more the fragrant & horticultural Zero.

Bharain? Bah-humbug more like! - henry k
>>I'm not sure why the re-fuelling was expunged from the rules (safety?)
>>
I suspect it was for cost saving reasons. An easy obvious target but the knock on effects were ignored.

Post Bharain - henry k
Mercedes boss Ross Brawn has admitted that his team are not on the pace and that it will be some time before they can compete at the front.

....have been further hit by a report that they will have to alter their car's design for the next race in Australia on 28 March.

Autosport has reported that governing body the FIA has asked Mercedes and McLaren to alter their diffusers - a crucial aerodynamic part at the rear of the car - because their design was against the spirit of the rules.

Post Bharain - henry k
FIA closes rear diffuser loophole

www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/82234

Post Bharain - Zero
but not the hole that lewis closes with his knee!

Post Bharain - henry k
An interesting view poat race

Ron Dennis has cast doubts on Red Bull's claim that Sebastian Vettel suffered a spark-plug failure while leading the 2010 season opener in Bahrain last weekend. He eventually finished fourth after losing power in the later stages of the race.
Initially an exhaust problem was blamed but that was subsequently clarified by an official statement from the team.
Dennis was not convinced. "The lap times dropped so rapidly that one can imagine the electronic control unit (ECU) switching to a conservative programme to save fuel,"
"The problem with the Red Bull could be design. It could be the fuel tank is too small, or the fuel consumption is higher than they expected."

Post Bharain - Westpig
that'd be intersting then...Red Bull quick enough, with decent drivers, but uses too much fuel.

How come Webber didn't have the same problem..or did he drive more conservatively from the start?

Bharain? Bah-humbug more like! - Focusless
>> I watched the start and snoozed during the next hour.

I missed the start, then found myself switching channels to catch up on EastEnders, American Idol etc.

American Le Mans series - Sebring - smokie
For those of you with Motors TV, the first race of the American Le Mans series is on over the weekend. It comes from Sebring, an old WWII bomber airfield and is 12 hours. It's a great shake-down for the cars, in more ways than one. Spectator viewing is fantastic, and with more than one class of car running together in the same race there is always plenty of action.

www.sebringraceway.com

I fly out tomorrow :-)
Last edited by: smokie on Tue 16 Mar 10 at 09:26

American Le Mans series - Sebring - Iffy
We used to have a Mk III (Coke bottle) Cortina in Sebring Red.

It was close to orange.

tinyurl.com/yftctp4

American Le Mans series - Sebring - smokie
Well oddly, my rental this year is a Chrysler Sebring convertible

www.cargurus.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/2008-chrysler-sebring-convertible-top.jpg

Had 'em before, open top is nice but driving experience is nothing special...

The F1 season - Armel Coussine
A furious short snippet in Kevin Garside's column in today's Terrorflag ends with the words: '... brutally unwatchable.'
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Mon 22 Mar 10 at 12:16

The F1 season - henry k
BBC2 red button.
Just watrched old Aus GP .
Still more to watch. Now
Last edited by: henry k on Thu 25 Mar 10 at 20:32

Australian GP - Focusless
Hamilton & Button fastest so far:
news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8588391.stm

Virgin team having problems: "...who it has emerged are having to redesign their car after discovering the fuel tank is too small to get them to the end of races at full speed". Doh :)

Australian GP - crocks
Maybe they believed the manufacturers consumption figures. :-)

Australian GP - car bore
It makes a bit of a mockery of F1 when the HRT team uses the first race as a test session and Virgin can't make the fuel tank big enough! The benefits of CAD design!!

Australian GP - henry k
Who got bored on the track?

McLaren's former Formula One world champion Lewis Hamilton apologised on Friday for "over-exuberant" driving after being stopped by police in Melbourne. "This evening, I was driving in an over-exuberant manner and, as a result, was stopped by the police," Hamilton said in a McLaren statement.
"What I did was silly, and I want to apologise for it."

Australian GP - rtj70
>> The benefits of CAD design

If they'd run an actual car for long enough they'd know how far it was likely to go in the real world. Doh.

Australian GP - zookeeper
it must be every coppers dream to nick a racing driver , ever since that well known quote " who do you fink you are , stirling moss?"

Australian GP - Tooslow
There's an HRT team ??? !!!

JH
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 26 Mar 10 at 18:39

Australian GP - bathtub tom
>>There's an HRT team ??? !!!

They've been around for fifty or so years. They had a miserable performance for the last ten years, but seem much happier now. The body work is wider and seems heavier.

Australian GP - Armel Coussine
Hamilton off the pace in qualifying. Must have done his tyres in yesterday hooning in the street like all the red-blooded Aussies of his age. The sound (but very seldom the sight) of violent wheelspin is one of my abiding memories of urban Australia (only they don't have urban like we have urban, it's more suburban really).

I don't mind the odd chirp of tyre noise but clouds of smoke seem moronic to me, and ridiculously expensive for the pleasure they provide. Of course that isn't an important factor when you are 25 and have countless millions. So I don't blame Hamilton at all for his moment of exuberance. Must have been great fun for all concerned.

But why was he off the pace today? Did they scold him in the garage? Is he sensitive?

Australian GP - henry k
>>louds of smoke seem moronic to me, and ridiculously expensive for the pleasure they provide.
>>Not expensive when it is a loan car from MB ? :-))
Love the straight faced senior constable stating the obvious.
When asked was it LH he hid behind legalise and could not respond to " but LH has already said sorry".

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8590326.stm

Australian GP - Zero
>> >>There's an HRT team ??? !!!
>>
>> They've been around for fifty or so years. They had a miserable performance for the
>> last ten years but seem much happier now. The body work is wider and seems
>> heavier.

I TOLD YOU THAT ALREADY _ WHY DONT YOU LISTEN

Australian GP - lancara
Talking of "miserable performances", seems it hasn't taken long for MS to join the grumpy old men:

preview.tinyurl.com/ye7cwst

Australian GP - Tooslow
Pardon? :-)

Sorry Zero. There's a crude joke being missed :-(

JH

Australian GP - Zero
Lauda?

The HRT crew suffered for many years. Things would snap for no apparent reason, several times each year, it seemed to happen in phases. That no longer happens.

Australian GP - Dave_
Oh heck, I've got to get up in 6 hours to watch the race... Clocks go forward don't they... And I only had 4 hours' sleep last night too :-S
Last edited by: Dave_TD {P} on Sat 27 Mar 10 at 23:53

Australian GP - Stuu
Well its lap 41 and Im very glad I got up to watch it. So much going on at times. Just need it to rain now - it wont prob, but be nice :-)

Australian GP - crocks
Well that's more like it.
Can we drop Bahrain from the calendar and have three races in Melbourne?

I really thought this season Hamilton would beat Button but he was really rattled today. One minute complaining that his tyres had gone off and the next complaining about the strategy. Maybe he will get his head sorted for next week.

Off to eat humble pie and get some more sleep.

Australian GP - BobbyG
Just watched the highlights via the freeview red button. Probably about 5 mins in total - thats the way to watch Grand Prix!! :)

Australian GP - Zero
this was a good GP. Full of incident and action.

Hamilton does have a valid whine, it was a stupid idea to bring him in. (in hindsight).

would he have overtaken Button? who knows. Would Button have taken Vetel if his car didnt let him down (again) No chance.

Australian GP - Westpig
>> would he have overtaken Button?

...maybe...but at what cost to his tyres. He overtook him once in the race, but i'd be willing to bet that without Hamilton's tyre change his tyres would have been far worse than Button's at the end....if he'd made it to the end.

>>Would Button have taken Vettel if his car didnt let him down (again) No chance.

Agreed...but...a safe second place having looked after your tyres...versus a hooligan overtake and many laps of trying, ruining your tyres and/or having an accident and all coming to grief.

Cracking race though.
Last edited by: Westpig on Sun 28 Mar 10 at 12:12

Yup, that's a bit more like it. What a relief.

Australian GP - VxFan
>> Hamilton does have a valid whine it was a stupid idea to bring him in. (in hindsight).

Whereas Button can make up his own mind when to come in and not rely on someone to tell him.

Australian GP - Manatee
>>Hamilton does have a valid whine, it was a stupid idea to bring him in. (in hindsight).

Doesn't that make it an invalid whine ;-)

Certainly Brundle questioned the tactics when Hamilton came in, but put it down to split tactics by McLaren (meaning hedging presumably). Not forgetting that Schumacher had been in earlier at about lap 30 for a second set. Brundle speculated that Schumacher was the guinea pig for Rosberg; Rosberg duly came for another set on lap 34 if memory serves, just before Hamilton on about 35. Webber did likewise, and when Hamilton and Webber were flying along on the new tyres Brundle was contemplating them catching and passing the Ferraris.

In hindsight it was probably a poor decision, but even now we don't know whether Hamilton would have ragged his tyres to such an extent that his goose would have been cooked regardless.

What Hamilton is really cross about is that Button, of whom I am rapidly revising my opinion, beat him convincingly in qualifying and racing.

I doubt Hamilton will fall apart, but he needs to sort his head out if he is to get back on terms.

Hamilton could take a leaf or two out of Vettel's book on handling setbacks.

Australian GP - Zero
Hamilton does need to get his mind in control. He has history of not handling adverstity well.

Not revised my opinion of button at all. Clearly Mclaren had the car today.

Australian GP - Westpig
>> Not revised my opinion of button at all. Clearly Mclaren had the car today.
>>

I predict you will Zero....

..and my reasoning is he up-ended himself from a safe zone, to go into the Lion's Den at McLaren to join boy wonder who is virtually family. Now you'd have to be seriously deluded or extremely sure of yourself to do that.

Furthermore he's well known for driving very smoothly, which conserves the tyres...in a season where tyre wear is critical if you don't want to waste 25 seconds plus on a stop (because with the ban on refuelling, there's no stop required if your tyres will last).

I'm not saying that Hamilton might not beat him in a 25 lap sprint type race, where pure aggression and nerve might win the day...but modern F1 has become more tactical and I think Button can win on those terms...or at least narrow the gap more than many thought he could.

There's something in that Westpig. I too thought it possible that Hamilton could be heavier on tyres than the Frome flyer. But he seemed to think the mistake was made by the team, and looked a bit sulky about it too. He felt he had driven well and been dogged by bad luck. Amazing that both he and Webber finished in the points actually.

I think Hamilton may have been rattled by the hooning episode, not because he felt sorry for a bit of harmless exuberance but because the old bill wasted 45 minutes of his time and screwed up his schedule the day before a race and the team probably scolded him. He is young and highly strung as we used to say.

I must say it all makes the season look a bit more inviting than it did.

Australian GP - Zero
And I predict I wont.

My reasoning? Button is lazy and has no desire or fire in in his belly. Give him the lead and he will hang on to it in a smooth and unflustered manner. Make him work for it and he will spend 200 laps thinking up 200 ways he can moan about things after the race.

It wil be an interesting little side wager come November WP!

Brilliant tactical decision by Button, but also a fiery drive by Hamilton.

I've no personal favourite, but my money's on the latter to come out in front (as is their paymaster's).

Australian GP - Dave_
They're pretty straight-talking, those Australians...

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8592317.stm

This almost warrants a thread on its own ;-)

Australian GP - Tooslow
Well that was a good one (Melbourne). I'd quite like Vettel to win the championship this year. Seems to be a good guy, car is brilliant but he must already be thinking "I wuz robbed". Two mechanical failures in 2 races!

I like Webber too. Max points for saying after the race "I" and "apologise" with no other words between. I'm fed up of hearing "I would like to apologise". Go on then. I'm ready, in your own time. What would you say if I suggested that he puts me in mind of Mansell on the track (but NOT off it!!)?

Of course it got a bit boring when the traffic jam built up 10 or so laps from the end. Hamilton is catching at 2 seconds per lap but then can't get past? Is it Hamilton or the aerodynamics? Why did they make the tyres narrower and the wings wider? It should have been the other way round.

And Nico Rosberg finished MILES ahead of that old geezer in his team, wotsisname. Can't be bad :-)

So for the rest of the season we can expect interesting racing when it rains, a boring procession not even interrupted by tyre changes when it doesn't :-(

JH

Changed default subject header and merged with the rest of the discussion about the Australian GP
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 29 Mar 10 at 19:24

Australian GP - henry k
Red Bull's brake supplier Brembo has ruled out failure of its system as a cause of Sebastian Vettel's Australian Grand Prix retirement.
The Italian manufacturer said in a statement Tuesday that the German's exit at the weekend, while leading from pole position, "was not caused by the braking system supplied by Brembo."
It added the Formula One team had confirmed to the company that the 22-year-old retired after the torque drive between the front left axle and wheel was lost.

Can anyone explain what the torque drive is?

Australian GP - crocks
Not sure but here's my best guess.

Wheel held in place by nut but stopped rotating by studs.
Studs break.
Brakes work on hub but hub spins in wheel so no retardation.
Wheel nut still in place so no obvious signs from outside except Vettel in gravel.

Or more simply no transfer of torque from hub to wheel.

Australian GP - henry k
Thanks crocks.

Lewis Hamilton says he has "complete trust" in his McLaren team to make the right strategic calls for him at Sunday's Malaysian Grand Prix.

But Hamilton explained: "I have complete trust in the team, because when I'm in the car I don't know what's going on in front or behind me.

"There was no need to make up - we're a team and we win and lose together."

Glad thats all sorted and no more throwing toys out the pram? ;-)

Australian GP - Westpig
How much of Hamilton being rattled was the fact his team mate was doing well at a time he wasn't, relatively. Perhaps he thought originally, that he was going to walk the floor with Button and coming out second best on this occasion doesn't sit too well.

Australian GP - Zero
He was doing well. He was faster than Button at that point. He threw his toys out of his pram because he though he was doing better than his team mate and they (the team) nobbled him.

Australian GP - John H
Hi guys. Some interesting reading I found today.

comment #58 by Dane at Jake Humphrey blog
www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/jakehumphrey/2010/03/looking_back_on_a_great_weeken.html

And Mclaren have posted this on their website.
MARTIN WHITMARSH Team principal, Vodafone McLaren Mercedes
"After starting 11th, Lewis once again showed the grit, determination, passion and bravery that has made him one of the most exciting racing drivers in the world.
“In less than an hour this afternoon, I think it’s fair to say that he almost single-handedly debunked the much-touted recent theory that Formula 1 has become boring. On the contrary, he entertained millions of people around the world with a series of audacious and thrilling overtaking manoeuvres.
“While we concede that, with hindsight, it’s possible that we may have been better served by calling Lewis’s tyre strategy differently, we’re enormously encouraged by his never-give-up attitude and his ever-exciting talent.
“So we leave Albert Park hugely encouraged by the pace we were able to demonstrate, and we head to Malaysia keen to maintain that momentum."

James Allen has a new section on his blog where he analyses tactics after the race
www.jamesallenonf1.com/2010/03/the-decisive-moments-melbourne/
Last edited by: John H on Thu 1 Apr 10 at 16:04

Australian GP - car bore
I think hamilton's outburst against McLaren was shocking. Yes he may have felt the team made the wrong call but to go pubic with his criticism is disrespectful to the team. He should have aired his frustration in private. How would he like it if he crashed out of the lead of a race and the team came out with something like' we gave Lewis a winning car but he ruined his chances by spinning off' The outburst by Hamilton was immature. How often did Schumi publically criticise Ferrari? Perhaps if Hamilton had qualified higher up things may have worked out better for him.

Australian GP - Westpig
>> He was doing well. He was faster than Button at that point. He threw his
>> toys out of his pram because he though he was doing better than his team
>> mate and they (the team) nobbled him.
>>

Yes, agreed on some of that..but...Hamilton is tougher on tyres than Button is. He may well have been able to stay out...but on the other hand, could easily have had shot tyres with 10-15 laps to go, no one will know now, because the team exercised some judgement and went for a safe option.

I don't think they 'nobbled' him, they may or may not have been too cautious in bringing him in, quite possibly they were.

Australian GP - Zero
Its all going down in qualifying at malaysia. Rain

As brundle said of the cockpit view of Petrov handling lurid oversteer and massive understeer "he looks like he is fighting an octopus in there"

Malaysian Grand Prix - crocks
Well we really have an interesting grid.
McLaren and Ferrari at the back. Webber on Pole.

Maybe we should insist on rain (or random sprinklers) for every Grand Prix.

Malaysian Grand Prix - Westpig
I don't know what on earth the BBC are up to, but it might be wise to check the listings if you're planning on recording it.... as I do.

I've just gone into the Sky Planner to book the programme after the GP in case there is an exteneded race...and...noticed that the coverage starts on BBC1 at 0800...but at 1000 changes to BBC2. When you check BBC2 slot it states it is the continuation of the coverage.

Usually the BBC coverage has at least an hour of blah before the race, so 0800-1000 isn't enough to cover the race on BBC1....so it seems the BBC are having half the race on BBC1 and the rest on BBC2????

That'll catch a few people out, what on earth are they playing at?

Malaysian Grand Prix - Armel Coussine
>> I don't know what on earth the BBC are up to

Neither do I. The Sky planner, it that's what it was, went blank after 7 am when I looked at it last night. Had I known that qualifying would be at 8 - the middle of the night for me - without a repeat around the middle of the day, I would have set the thing to record.

Why don't they have qualifying, and indeed the race, in the evening, say 2 or 3 am? I am going to have to go without sleep tonight to see the thing live.

This is, er, no country for old men. Drat!

Malaysian Grand Prix - John H

>> Usually the BBC coverage has at least an hour of blah before the race so
>> 0800-1000 isn't enough to cover the race on BBC1....so it seems the BBC are having
>> half the race on BBC1 and the rest on BBC2????
>>
>> That'll catch a few people out what on earth are they playing at?
>>

BBC red button interactive schedule
news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tv_and_radio/5345480.stm
Formula One
0800-1115 Live coverage of the Malaysian Grand Prix, with audio options, Onboard camera and rolling highlights
1115-1215 Post-race analysis of the Malaysian Grand Prix, hosted by Jake Humphrey

BBC1 and BBC2 schedule
news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tv_and_radio/8590708.stm
Sunday
Malaysian Grand Prix
0800-1000, BBC One/BBC HD/BBC Red Button/Radio 5 live/online
1000-1110, BBC Two/BBC HD/BBC Red Button/Radio 5 live/online

Malaysian Grand Prix - Zero
BBC1 till 10:00, BBC2 from 09:55

so there is a 5 minute BBC2 overlap to switch in.

The Humax does not interlink the two, so two seperate schedules.

London Area, Channel 301, BBC redbutton, live coverage, no break with on board camera choices.

Malaysian Grand Prix - zookeeper
if you dont want to watch it live,watch it on iplayer, no need to phaff about recording it,

Malaysian Grand Prix - rtj70
Things take a bit of time after they finish to appear on iPlayer. I record the GP on Virgin Media's V+ box so can watch it after it starts and speed forward. Sky+ the same ability of course.

If the rain come again tomorrow I might not speed to much forward.

Malaysian Grand Prix - Iffy
And for those of us who like to switch on for the start?

9am?

Malaysian Grand Prix - VxFan
It's a shame it didn't rain. Needed something to liven up what seemed a dull race.

...Needed something to liven up what seemed a dull race...

Couldn't say - I nodded off.

Malaysian Grand Prix - smokie
Then you missed some of the best, albeit quickly over, racing moments. Hammy and the Russian bloke, Alberqueque, the Russian bloke again, to name but a few.

People have been moaning about F1 for some years now, but what can you expect when all the cars perform virtually the same?

I wasn't moaning, really.

These days I find myself falling asleep part-way though quite a few television programmes, especially films.

Formula One is something I think I will like, and I can usually get away with the first few laps.

But the middle section can be dull - bit like 50 overs cricket - so it's then the zeds start floating towards the ceiling.

there was some seriously good racing, and defending, being shown by some drivers today.

(except button - who can drive a car quickly but not race)

Malaysian Grand Prix - crocks
I agree Zero.
Last week's humble pie was not to my liking so I'm glad Hamilton appeared to be back to his best.

Malaysian Grand Prix - SteelSpark
>> Formula One is something I think I will like and I can usually get away
>> with the first few laps.
>>
>> But the middle section can be dull - bit like 50 overs cricket - so
>> it's then the zeds start floating towards the ceiling.

I generally watch qualifying, then the first few laps, and then will flick over occasionally to see if something interesting is happening, including whether it looks like the last few laps are going to be worth watching.

Great race, Hamilton showing his racer side, the Russki putting his counter on the table, poor Kobayashi without the car he needs, Button showing nervousness inthe bumping and boring but very rapid indeed when unmolested, Massa quick and solid, Webber bruised and feeling he wuz robbed... good sport.

How SS can say he looks every now and then 'to se if anything interesting is going on' beats me. Either you are interested in motor racing, or you aren't. Most aren't really.

And yes, I too can find myself dozing in front of a race. But it's the only daytime TV I watch.

By the way, fabulous boat race too. That's the other daytime TV I watch. That, the Grand National and of course everyone's favourite, global disasters.

Recording it and watching it is best. And with a PVR you can start watching before it's finished but catch up. If it had rained at some point it would have got a lot more interesting.

I assume this venue is on the F1 calendar when it is because of the weather which can make things interesting. Not in the race this time but it mixed things up in qualifying.

Now what is the button in the Ferrari all about that they needed to use for over taking? It seems to be some form of rev limiter - is the engine that delicate that it cannot run at full revs for long? Seemed that way. There's an F1 limit to revs anyway.

>> Recording it and watching it is best. And with a PVR you can start watching
>> before it's finished but catch up.

Thats what i did, I was 20 mins behind actual time.

>>If it had rained at some point it would
>> have got a lot more interesting.

It was interesting enough

>> I assume this venue is on the F1 calendar when it is because of the
>> weather which can make things interesting

No its on the schedule due to money.

>> Now what is the button in the Ferrari all about that they needed to use
>> for over taking? It seems to be some form of rev limiter - is the
>> engine that delicate that it cannot run at full revs for long?

Yes the revs are limited, but the ferrari was limited a little lower, and with a lean setting.
the button overcomes the ferrari limit and a give a tad more horsepower.

>>Seemed that way.

The engine was on its third race, and deposited bits of engine on the track before the cloud of smoke after too many button pushes (not jenson button)

>> No its on the schedule due to money.

All the races are on the calendar due to money ;-) But interesting that this one is during a time that is often affected by rain. Looking at the dates it's not as if they are trying to minimise travelling between some races.

the race is at a location that paid a large sum of money to host the race. Originally it was held at an earlier time, but was pushed back later in the day, to meet a watchable european time and maximum advertising money. Ironically it pushed into the rainy time of the day but it was done to maximise revenue, not excitement.

There is (or was) a semblance of an "away" part of the season. Its "away" for the early part of the season, "home" (europe) for the middle and "away" again fore the last part.

The european "home" section is to get dry weather!

The teams get travel assistance for the "away" seasons.

Malaysian Grand Prix - SteelSpark
>> How SS can say he looks every now and then 'to se if anything interesting
>> is going on' beats me. Either you are interested in motor racing or you aren't.
>> Most aren't really.

Naturally there are bits that are more interesting than most, if the cars are spaced out and one guy is catching the other by 0.1 seconds per lap, then I can find something more interesting to do.

If they are bunched together, then perhaps it will take my interest.

Bit black and white to say that you have to find every single second exciting, or you can't find any of it exciting.

I guess it depends what other opportunities you have for excitement! ;)

>> to say that you have to find every single second exciting,

Faugh!

It's just that some races are interesting all over from beginning to end, and with some the interesting bits are few and far between, and you need to be watching when they happen. A second or two later it may look boring again.

There certainly are boring races - Dubai was rather - and one can fall asleep owing to the droning noise.

Malaysian Grand Prix - Boxsterboy
>> I don't know what on earth the BBC are up to. That'll catch a few people out what on earth are they playing at?
>>

I saw the first 15 laps or so, then got side-tracked. When I went to see how things were going on towards the end, I saw the church service, and so just assumed it was all over! What a complete load of jokers they are at the BBC!!

Malaysian Grand Prix - Westpig
I've complained to the BBC about their scheduling...may I suggest a few more do, there's more likely to be something done if enough complain.

A google search on BBC Complaint gets you straight there.

Malaysian Grand Prix - L'escargot
I noticed that in the BBC coverage Michael Schumacher was accorded the courtesy of having the initial of his first name included in the abbreviation (i.e. MSC) whereas all the others only had the first three letters of their surname. How come? It's not as if their are currently any other Schumachers in F1, or even any other drivers with a surname beginning with Sc.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Mon 5 Apr 10 at 13:39

It stems from the time his bro - Ralph - was racing as well.

I briefly wondered this too and then remembered they had to switch when there were two Schuey's racing. You'd have thought they would now do it the same as for other drivers.

Malaysian Grand Prix - henry k
David Coulthard says in the DT

"We may well get a dry track in Barcelona, where the fastest cars qualify at the front and then settle into a race-day procession. All I am saying is that after a poor start to the season, everything is looking a lot rosier. "
Through what sort of glasses? Procession each race ? Oh dear.

"The top seven drivers separated by nine points? This is turning into the classic battle we were all looking forward to."
Each Race... The car in front is a Red Bull. Who will catch them unless RB have a mechanical failure?
After all the cost savings they are talking about KERS returning cos its a green idea.
USF1 failed to make the grid and they are dusting down KERS at what ££££ cost ?

where are red bull in the constructors championship?

Not at the top.

BTCC Round 1 - BobbyG
Recorded the whole day's activities on Sunday on ITV4 and now working my way through it, fast forwarding at all the adverts, interviews etc.

However, huge, huge mistake in the first round. Gordon Shedden leading the race, cameras following the 3rd/4th place battle when they suddenly realise Shedden no longer in lead. Can't fathom out why and its not to the end of the race that they realise he had crashed into a wall!

Very poor TV work, amateurish is being kind!

Latest Forum Posts