Motoring Discussion > Concours MB. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: - Replies: 14

Concours MB. - -
I hope no one minds i've linked to a thread on an MB forum, a chap called 280SE Guy has put some pictures of his self maintained 1971 car on this thread, i've never seen a car so well presented in all my life, well worth a look.

forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=59204
 Concours MB. - Dave_
That's astonishing. They must have very clean roads there, every part of the car looks brand new!
 Concours MB. - Cpt. Flack
Looks like its just rolled out the factory. Superb.
 Concours MB. - kensitas
Something rather sad about it really. The car's nearly 40 years old with 42K miles - and I'd imagine, since he bought in '74 with presumabl a 'normal' mileage, he's done a lot less than 20 miles per week since, on average - probably nearer 10.

Yes I know, it's a 'classic' etc., but why not at least have had some more driving pleasure for all effort? Like keeping a bird in a cage.
 Concours MB. - madf
Agree with Kensiats.

Who wants to own a museum piece which you dare not drive....?

Not a speck of dust or dirt on it. Makes stamp collectors appear human:-)
Last edited by: madf on Tue 4 May 10 at 08:36
 Concours MB. - Focusless
>> Who wants to own a museum piece which you dare not drive....?

Better he keeps it like that at his expense rather than put it in a museum at the taxpayers' expense? :)
 Concours MB. - madf
Better he keeps it like that at his expense rather than put it in a museum at the taxpayers' expense? :)

I cannot recall the taxpayer in the UK having many car museums let alone ones with German cars? :-)

I think his devotion to its condition is eminently praiseworthy and ever so slightly ... a retentive l if you pardon the expression if it avoids the swear filter.
 Concours MB. - Focusless
>> I cannot recall the taxpayer in the UK having many car museums let alone ones
>> with German cars? :-)

Good point, although I bet there's at least some German aero-engines in the Science Museum. Which reminds me - haven't been for a while. I love looking at all the old engines, but SWMBO was never that keen...
Last edited by: Focus on Tue 4 May 10 at 17:10
 Concours MB. - jc2
It's not as it came out of the factory-looks OVER-restored to me.
 Concours MB. - Zero
I agree, its not for me, far too "pristine" and never used. But hey, its a hobby and is no worse than stamps or coins. And lets face it, thats not the kind of car you rack up miles in because its fun to drive.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 4 May 10 at 09:07
 Concours MB. - Netsur
He needs to keep it like this to stop is rusting.

My father owned a 1972 model 280Se with the 3.5 litre V8 engine. It was a great limousine but having bought it at three years old, he sold it about two years later with significant rust on the body causing MoT failure.
 Concours MB. - Tooslow
Blimey, even the underside is spotless! My car's due a wash & vac, you don't suppose he has time to do it do you?
JH
 Concours MB. - Victorbox
If you think this is mad just look at this thread! tinyurl.com/27h56ya
 Concours MB. - madf
Hmm .. al that work on a Mondeo.

It's like calling McGonnigal a great poet...

Or gold plated railings on a housing estate...
 Concours MB. - Zero
it has rusty door bottoms tho........
Latest Forum Posts