Motoring Discussion > Humber Bridge northbound Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 27

Humber Bridge northbound - L'escargot
On a normal weekday, what sort of delay should I expect crossing the Humber Bridge northbound? I've never been across it before.
 Humber Bridge northbound - CGNorwich
None,

One of the most underused crossings in the country. Bit of a white elephant really.
 Humber Bridge northbound - Iffy
...One of the most underused crossings in the country...

Yep, the road to nowhere.

Nice bridge, though.
>> ...One of the most underused crossings in the country...
>>
>> Yep ..........

Thanks, that's pleased me no end.
 Humber Bridge northbound - Iffy
I think there's a small visitor centre at one end or the other, if you want to look at the history of the bridge.
 Humber Bridge northbound - scousehonda
There's an excellent site at:

www.cbrd.co.uk

which gives all the information most of us could possibly need about the Humber Bridge (and every other road in the UK). An amateur site run by an enthusiast with some unbelievable detail.

For the information on the bridge navigate to the A15 but I'll bet that when you get onto the site you will spend much time clicking around.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 3 May 10 at 11:45
 Humber Bridge northbound - Bellboy
I still miss the ferry
and the toilets that won awards for cleanliness and all the flowers,the brasswork shone and the lady in charge was great
keep meaning to go back on the key? there to see if the toilets are still there (north side)
i remember watching them build the bridge,seemed to take them forever at the time
 Humber Bridge northbound - jc2
It was a political bridge-built to save a politician's career!
 Humber Bridge northbound - Brentus
Could you expand on that jc2.
 Humber Bridge northbound - -
Thanks for that SH, interesting site and an unmissable opportunity to comment on some of the most appalling junction designs.
 Humber Bridge northbound - jc2
In the rush-hour,you might see another car.
Now come on Iffy.
Mr Snail. It is a beautiful bridge. Enjoy the crossing over the Humber. Things normally run smooth. That is until the wind gets up and temporally gets closed. The toll is very expensive though.
 Humber Bridge northbound - Ted

Last time I used it was about 1989 on a recovery.
Always remember it, I was on the bridge heading North when SWMBO got me on the mobile to say my son had passed his test at the first attempt.

Just got back from a weekend at a local steam rally...........my Lord, you lot have posted a lot ! What with trying to watch the snooker and reading what everyone's been up to, my brain's starting to frazzle !

Ted
 Humber Bridge northbound - scousehonda
Ted

Did you really have a mobile phone in 1989?
 Humber Bridge northbound - Ted

>> Did you really have a mobile phone in 1989?

Had one for a couple of years by then, I think. Got one after using a pager for years.
I think the phone was a Motorola or similar.....big, with an aerial. It was before ' 07 ' numbers, I think it was 0421.******
My neighbour, who ran a wedding car business from home, had one before me...like a briefcase with a domestic handset in it.

Really was a ' cellphone ' then. You had to be in a ' cell ' or area where there was a signal and there weren't that many about !

Ted
>>
i still have one of my Motorolas my cellnet number was 0860 i seem to remember,it was very difficult back then to get a phone and a contract
>> Mr Snail. ................ The toll
>> is very expensive though.
>>

I have an appointment to have an MRI scan and to see a consultant at Hull Royal Infirmary, and to me the £2.70 each way toll will be money well spent.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Tue 4 May 10 at 07:28
 Humber Bridge northbound - Focusless
Some info here:
www.humberbridge.co.uk/explore.php
 Humber Bridge northbound - Clk Sec
I hope all goes well, L'escargot.
>> I hope all goes well L'escargot.
>>

Thanks, Clk Sec.
 Humber Bridge northbound - Zero
>> I have an appointment to have an MRI scan

Lets hope he can find out what happened to your wallet.
>> >> I have an appointment to have an MRI scan
>>
>> Lets hope he can find out what happened to your wallet.
>>

:-D
might have put this before but a friend had a car accident and his insurer needed to send him for a scan
turns out it was cheaper at a pets clinic rather than nhs
i think they paid £400 rather than a nhs charge of £900
all the best anyway mr snail
 Humber Bridge northbound - Fullchat
All the best Mr Snail.

Regularly contraflow on the bridge which causes no great issues. As mentioned very high winds and the odd collision have caused temporary closure. Even the Miners managed to close it for a short while back in 1984.

Once had a freebie when there was industrial action :-)
Mr Snail hope all goes well. The toll fees are of much discussion recently and all political parties are doing all they can. Currently the bridge board have suspended an increase. However i do believe that people undergoing regular medical treatment. Which involves crossing the bridge to get it, may be elegible for a toll discount. Should you fall into this category it may well be worth asking at the hospital.

Good luck..
 Humber Bridge northbound - Fullchat
I seem to remember the Chairman of the Humber Bridge Board being very unsympathetic regarding any form of discounts for users traveling for medical reasons.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Wed 5 May 10 at 00:17
Thanks for all the best wishes. I just hope the outcome will be a visit to a chiropractor rather than an operation on my spine.
Latest Forum Posts