Motoring Discussion > Speed camera warnings - TomTom vs PocketGPS Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 13

Speed camera warnings - TomTom vs PocketGPS - BobbyG
I pay £20 a year to PocketGPS to get speed camera updates for my TT710. They go on as POIs and I have a choice of having alerts when near them all the time, or only when on my route.

TT have a special offer that for £20 you can get 18 months subscription which are also constantly updated.

Does anyone know the plusses or minuses of each system? Does the TT appear as POIs as well and follow the same rules re only on route etc?

Any feedback is appreciated.
 Speed camera warnings - TomTom vs PocketGPS - Old Sock
A pair of eyes and a light right foot cost me nothing per year. A bit of a bargain, really :-)
 Speed camera warnings - TomTom vs PocketGPS - Old Navy
>> A pair of eyes and a light right foot cost me nothing per year. A
>> bit of a bargain really :-)
>>

In my case backed up by cruise control set to the speed limit (ish).
 Speed camera warnings - TomTom vs PocketGPS - Zero
I use the pocket GPS ones. They are zoned by speed limits, and I have them set so the voice tells me the camera and the speed limit.
 Speed camera warnings - TomTom vs PocketGPS - Zero
>> >> A pair of eyes and a light right foot cost me nothing per year.
>> A
>> >> bit of a bargain really :-)
>> >>
>>
>> In my case backed up by cruise control set to the speed limit (ish).

In my case I drive faster than you and dont get caught.
 Speed camera warnings - TomTom vs PocketGPS - rtj70
BobbyG, theTT ones are said to be poor quality compared to PocketGPSWorld. If you are the first to spot new cameras and report them, then you should get free updates for life. That's what I did ;-)

If anyone wants to report new cameras, there are two new ones on the A6 Wellington Road near Stockport (near the Saxon Hotel). There used to be a GATSO that was removed a few months back. Now there are two new (digital) cameras facing each way.
 Speed camera warnings - TomTom vs PocketGPS - Old Navy
>> In my case I drive faster than you and don't get caught.
>>

You mean you haven't been caught yet. The speed tax machines will get you one day.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 30 Apr 10 at 15:44
 Speed camera warnings - TomTom vs PocketGPS - lancara
Given TomTom and Garmin (TeleAtlas & Navteq) record in keeping the maps and other POIs up-to-date and accurate, together with actioning error reports, I'd have thought this was a no-brainer
TomTom's speed camera database accuracy has never been that good. The PocketGPS one is good because it is updated by everyone ;-)
Thanks for replies guys, re TT, I think these can now be updated through the map share facility which would make it easier than the PocketGPS. But I would need to confirm that.

I will just stick with what I have just now I think!!

As I mentioned in a previous thread, on a long journey you can become oblivious to these constantly going off, especially if going through a SPECS where every camera is shown. But they can be handy going through a strange town or city. I use my cruise control on major roads etc but this isn't really feasible going through towns.
If I lived in my old house (or the new one) I'd pop over and check the exact location of the local speed cameras and let you report them to PocketGPS - they are not in the latest camera database and are quite new.

I'm off on my holidays tomorrow so someone will beat me to it when I get back too.

They're not GATSO's either - Stockport are using some new speed cameras. I'll have to look them up.
They are GATSO's - the new digital variety:

www.crown-international.co.uk/gatso_smart_pole.html
Thanks anyway Rob - enjoy your holiday!
I'd definately stick with the PocketGPS speed camera database. It's cheap enough (used to be £2 per update but piracy stopped that option) and good quality. I just wish the TomTom 720 would let you easily record new cameras - they have an iPhone app for that.
Latest Forum Posts