Motoring Discussion > BMW 3-Series E92 Coupe - Goodbye Audi, Hello BMW (again) Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Londoner Replies: 29

BMW 3-Series E92 Coupe - Goodbye Audi, Hello BMW (again) - Londoner
Well, for a few days at least. :-)

My own Audi is in for crash repairs. I was on my way home the other day when I unexpectedly came up to stationary traffic. I stopped and put the handbrake on. About 10 seconds later I got rear-ended. We were going through the usual formalities of exchanging details, when he offered up the priceless remark "I know what to do, because I've done this before!".

The upshot of all this is that he's admitted responsibility and my car has gone off for repairs. Meanwhile, my insurance company has given me a BMW 320d MSport Coupe to drive around in.

Will I be glad to get my own car back, or will they have to prise my hands off the steering wheel with a crowbar?

Stay tuned for the next thrilling installment.
 BMW 3-Series E92 Coupe - Goodbye Audi, Hello BMW (again) - R.P.
Enjoy.
 BMW 3-Series E92 Coupe - Goodbye Audi, Hello BMW (again) - PeteW
Spooky, but I've just handed back the convertible version of this model. Given to me whilst the Leon was in for its bodywork repairs.
In all honesty I'm glad to have the Leon back. I was amazed that BMW of all makes could fail on such a basic point as not giving the driver sufficient footwell space. I was constantly catching the clutch footrest when changing gear, to the point of real annoyance. And despite the leather and carbon fibre everywhere, I really couldn't see £40K worth of car. And some of the body panels were very thin and flexy - as noticed whilst washing it for its return.
Disappointed to say the least - are 'premium' cars these days really so average?
Last edited by: PeteW on Thu 24 May 12 at 19:50
 BMW 3-Series E92 Coupe - Goodbye Audi, Hello BMW (again) - corax
>> I was amazed that BMW
>> of all makes could fail on such a basic point as not giving the driver
>> sufficient footwell space.

They have always been like this because the engine is well back in the chassis so space is given up for the bellhousing/gearbox. The price you pay for handling balance.
I thought I'd find it a problem in the E90 - granted it's narrow, narrower than the X1's footwell, but not cause a problem. I find the driving position difficult to get right at the moment, feeling as if I'm slightly offset. The X1 is as comfy as anything.
 BMW 3-Series E92 Coupe - Goodbye Audi, Hello BMW (again) - Iffy
I sat in a manual 3 series saloon before buying the CC3.

From memory, I thought there was plenty of room around the pedals.

The CC3 is a bit tight, no room for a foot rest.

BMW 3-Series E92 Coupe - Goodbye Audi, Hello BMW (again) - -
BMW should only have two pedals;), leaving plenty of room for the semi retirement of the left foot.

Much too nice an auto to even consider manaul.
 BMW 3-Series E92 Coupe - Goodbye Audi, Hello BMW (again) - Zero
Generally speaking, Beemers are not the most interior space efficient vehicles on the road, almost an inevitable effect of sticking to RWD
Depends what you want doesn't it. Life is full of compromises...
 BMW 3-Series E92 Coupe - Goodbye Audi, Hello BMW (again) - Zero
Absolutely, BMW has made a design choice, and as it hasn't harmed sales who is to say they are wrong.
Sort of umming and ahiing on the road the other day - They have a huge diversity of models, even more when you take the MINI into account.
 BMW 3-Series E92 Coupe - Goodbye Audi, Hello BMW (again) - Londoner
>> BMW should only have two pedals;), leaving plenty of room for the semi retirement of
>> the left foot.
>>
>> Much too nice an auto to even consider manual.
>>
Agree 100%, GB. The one that I have on loan is an six speed automatic - a proper automatic, mind you, with torque converter and planetary gearset. It's an absolute joy to use, especially when parking and overtaking (but not at the same time of course!).

When I wrote up my review of my A5 for the forum recently, I singled out the CVT gearbox for the biggest criticism of what was in other respects a fine car. Trying a proper auto again has only made me more convinced in this view.
 BMW 3-Series E92 Coupe - Goodbye Audi, Hello BMW (again) - DP
>> They have always been like this because the engine is well back in the chassis
>> so space is given up for the bellhousing/gearbox. The price you pay for handling balance.

This is most noticeable on the four pot models. There is a good 18" of fresh air at the front of the engine compartment (hidden under a cover of course), with the engine rammed hard back against the bulkhead, and the very little of it extending ahead of the front axle line. BMWs really have a lovely front end when pressing on. Even my somewhat floppy efficientdynamics F30 has wonderful balance.
 BMW 3-Series E92 Coupe - Goodbye Audi, Hello BMW (again) - Avant
A couple of years ago I had several test drives in a 320d - I tried, I really tried to like it as so many others love theirs. But I think I must just be the wrong shape: I'm 5'7" with an average-sized body but shorter than average legs - meaning that to get the right distance from the pedals I had to sit too close to the steering wheel.

There is less of a problem with the automatic, as you can sit slightly further away without a clutch to press down.
Last edited by: Avant on Fri 25 May 12 at 00:00
 BMW 3-Series E92 Coupe - Goodbye Audi, Hello BMW (again) - idle_chatterer
>> But I think I must just be the wrong shape: I'm 5'7" with an average-sized body but
>> shorter than average legs - meaning that to get the right distance from the pedals
>> I had to sit too close to the steering wheel.
>>

I suspect I'm of a similar build at 5'8" with shorter legs than I'd like (hey, they keep my backside out of puddles so are sufficient even if I don't run quite as fast as I'd like to).

I found my E91 manual 330d perfectly comfortable, there wasn't a lot of space around the clutch but I soon adjusted, I could have the seat well back from the wheel and low (as I like it) in a very sporting 'sitting on the floor with arms straight' type of driving position.

And (for those who claim BMW's need only two pedals) - E90s also need 6 cylinders.

As for the build quality - I was always impressed by the build of components you can't see (unlike - say an Audi with it's VW bits under a lovely 'skin'). Check out the aluminium suspension castings, strut braces and other engineering components. The money goes into making the car good to drive although I admit the 'tumble dryer vent pipe' material for the washer filler was a little too cheap-skate for me.
E90s also need 6 cylinders

Forever smitten....:-)

I have to say that the build quality on the E90 is a couple of degrees better than the X1. Both parked side by side on the drive as I type and have been compared. I struggle to get the "perfect" driving position in the E90 - not so the X1 - far better driving position but it does have the sports seats. If I keep the E90 long enough my hunt out a black leather interior for it with the better seats.
>> If I keep the E90 long enough my hunt out a black
>> leather interior for it with the better seats.

If I was to go for another BMW, sports seats would be a must - they are superb. I have fairly long legs and long arms. I find the driving position suits me even though it is offset.

Mmm, maybe even an auto as GB suggests. All this talk is making me jealous :)
What I particularly like about the X1's seats are the pull out extensions to the seat squab, they fit nicely under the seat adding useful extra support.
 BMW 3-Series E92 Coupe - Goodbye Audi, Hello BMW (again) - PeterS
>> And (for those who claim BMW's need only two pedals) - E90s also need 6
>> cylinders.

I was fortunate enough to have a 330i SE on extended demo for 8k miles shortly after it's launch (spring '05), followed by a short spell in a 325i SE. The 330 was auto and 'fully loaded' in motor dealer speak, the 325 manual and almost standard spec. I have to say, I much preferred the manual 325i, so for me 6 cylinders is a definite yes in an E90, the auto 'box a no. The car that preceded both of them was an E46 330d auto - the 'auto box suited that car beautifully, but not the newer 330i IMO.

As also mentioned earlier, the sports seats are a must in any BMW as well I think; the adjustable length seat squab, combined with height and tilt adjustment, makes it easy to find the perfect position for the seat base. Just a shame that BMWs height adjustment is so clunky, and disappointing that lumbar support is optional in virtually all BMWs, even when sports seats are selected :-(
I'm struggling to find a "good" driving position in the 325 for some reason...it'll come I expect.
 BMW 3-Series E92 Coupe - Goodbye Audi, Hello BMW (again) - Runfer D'Hills
It will come Rob. Having said that, I could drive my old Mondeo across Europe without a twinge. Everything was just where it should be for me. The Qashqai was, well, just ok, but you knew you'd done a journey and the Merc, while comfortable enough, gives me gyp on the backs of my legs by the end of a long day. I find the seats just a wee bit too hard. It takes 300 miles + before it's a problem though. Ford ergonomics really suit me for some reason. Man and machine and all that I s'pose.

Lots of people say they find Volvos comfortable but I can't say I thought they were outstanding. Worst for me by far was my Xantia and any Vauxhall I've ever driven. The Espace however, was like sitting on a wobbly bar stool. Wretched thing. Oddly though, the Galaxy was like being in your favourite arm chair.

The two Golf GTis I had were fun but there never seemed to be enough room in them somehow. No matter how I fiddled with the settings I could never get them right. Knees up, bum down, sort of position. certainly not comfortable for any length of time.

Strangely enough, the car which fitted me very well despite its appearances was the Westfield. You were truly part of it once you'd slithered into position. Always a mildly disturbing realisation that your outstretched legs were in fact the crumple zone though !

Had 3 BMWs. Two 3s and one 5. Unremarkable in terms of comfort for me anyway. Not brilliant but not a problem either.

Fairly standard issue shape and weight sort of person, so should fit most things but don't always. Odd really.
>> Fairly standard issue shape and weight sort of person, so should fit most things but
>> don't always. Odd really.

Well they say that in road tests my Avensis suits anyone and can 'accomodate long legs with ease'. Yeah, OK there is plenty of room in the footwell and around the pedals but anyone with long legs would have no support because the squabs are too short. Furthermore accelerator pedal angle is wrong in relation to the position of the seat. Means that you have to constantly hover your right foot over the accelerator - if you rest it you'll just keep accelerating because the pedal is too lightly sprung. If you raise the seat to try and compensate you end up being ridiculously high with your head brushing the roof.

Not to put too fine a point on it, they suit short people. The Toyota Yaris on the other hand has a great driving position.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 4 Jun 12 at 01:56
 BMW 3-Series E92 Coupe - Goodbye Audi, Hello BMW (again) - WillDeBeest
Does the Avensis have tilt adjustment as well as height, Corax? Our Verso didn't - the height adjuster just kept on raising the rear half of the seat base, to the point where it felt like the seat was trying to tip me out.

It seems to be one of the things the 'premium' makers do better - haven't tried a BMW buit both our Volvo and now our Mercedes have separate adjustment, so I can raise the rear a little and the front a lot to get support under my thighs without having to sit on the floor.
>> Does the Avensis have tilt adjustment as well as height, Corax? Our Verso didn't -
>> the height adjuster just kept on raising the rear half of the seat base, to
>> the point where it felt like the seat was trying to tip me out.

It's the same on the Avensis WDB, only the rear half raises. The BMW sports seats can be adjusted for height front and back individually, along with extendable front squab as mentioned. About the only thing they don't have to my knowledge is adjustable lumbar support, but that may be an option.

I'm not even that tall - about 5'11", but I do have long arms in relation to my body. I removed the detestable arm rest between the front seats because my elbow hits it when changing gear.

Just waiting for Zero to post the Jungle book video again as seen in the wristwatch thread previously.

:)
The X1 doesn't have lumber support adjustment - it does have adjustment in the width of the bucket - electrical on mine
Mystic Humph can see the future...

325i for sale, two careful owners...funny colour hence price...

:-))
Still it's nice to have a car that revs so freely to the red line !
Sure, of course,

I give it 3 months...

;-)
No I'm happy. Now if the X1's winter tyres fit it....
Uh huh. OK then... whistles and writes note to self in diary...

:-)
Latest Forum Posts