Motoring Discussion > Citroen Nemo Multispace - This week it's a rollover
Thread Author: J500ANT Replies: 14

Citroen Nemo Multispace - This week it's a rollover - J500ANT
Video - magic.sc-streaming.com/player/shell.asp?campaignID=177_9947
Text - www.which.co.uk/news/2010/04/citron-nemo-mpv-rolls-over-in-which-test-212509

Ooops. Thats not good. I thought these things were quite nice, not so sure now.
 Citroen Nemo Multispace - This week it's a rollover - Iffy
Am I the only one who is not amazed that a high-sided glass van can be persuaded to tip over?

Citroen Nemo Multispace - This week it's a rollover - Avant
Quite. As Which? suggests, they need some form of stability control or else the laws of physics wil simply take over.
 Citroen Nemo Multispace - This week it's a rollover - tyro
Interesting.

When I was choosing which car to hire when in France on holiday recently, I was pretty tempted by the Nemo Multispace, which was being offered at a very good price. I decided (unusually for me) to pay extra and get a Berlingo Multispace, even though the Nemo would have been fine for our needs.

(Of course, it is possible that French spec Nemos have stability control.)
 Citroen Nemo Multispace - This week it's a rollover - Boxsterboy
Yes, if you look at the ADAC video, they tested the same models but with ESP and they were fine (although of course the luddites won't be happy with this added complication).

You could argue that a car should be designed such that ESP isn't necessary, but all cars will roll in extremis.

It all goes to show the added value of ESP.
Last edited by: Boxsterboy on Wed 28 Apr 10 at 10:03
 Citroen Nemo Multispace - This week it's a rollover - FotheringtonTomas
"Peugeot Bipper Tepee"??

Good Lord.
 Citroen Nemo Multispace - This week it's a rollover - Boxsterboy
Yes.

One can only assume it sounds quite good when spoken by a Frenchman.
 Citroen Nemo Multispace - This week it's a rollover - crocks
Is it related to the Mazda Bongo Friendee?
 Citroen Nemo Multispace - This week it's a rollover - IJWS14
ESP helps the driver achieve what is possible.

It does not defeat the laws of physics, if it is going to roll it will roll and ESP won't stop it. Anyone ever wondered why the Stig always turns these systems off!

Now is it me or when you see the two side by side is the turn in a little more violent in the one that rolls?
 Citroen Nemo Multispace - This week it's a rollover - Focusless
>> Now is it me or when you see the two side by side is the
>> turn in a little more violent in the one that rolls?

I thought that as well, but isn't that due to the ESP kicking in? Ie. no it can't defeat the laws of physics, but it can stop you getting into a situation where you need to.
 Citroen Nemo Multispace - This week it's a rollover - Auristocrat
Is this why it has roof rails?
 Citroen Nemo Multispace - This week it's a rollover - ....
Looks like an engineering solution looking for a problem to me.

Would you really go barelling into such a situation on the road without trying to scrub off as much speed as possible while in a straight line ? When was the last time you almost flipped your car in such a situation ? Driver observation will not always eliminate this risk however I don't think it happens all that often.

There are other areas of car design which could be looked at.

Why do NCAP not perform rear end shunts in their tests?
You could argue you don't reverse into things very quickly but what about the situation where traffic is brought to a standstill on a motorway/dual carriageway and the vehicles at the back get rear ended ? How safe are you in this situation ?
 Citroen Nemo Multispace - This week it's a rollover - Fenlander
Like IJWS14 I think they knew the result they wanted and worked towards it.

In a nurdish few minutes while eating Tesdco's finest Chinese microwave chicken curry at the keyboard I've compared the videos in two windows.

With the Fiat you see at about 20/21sec in it just brushes the righthand of the five cones to the left in something of a nice racing line giving the car a sensible task to avoid the next two cones.

If you look at the Citroen around 36sec you'll see it is driven deep into the corner about 2m away from that same end cone so needing a massive steering deflection to miss the two cones... which of course it can't.

Furthermore at 43sec in the closer view of the Citroen you can see skid marks where it looks like a previou run just ran over the two cones... so did they give it another go with snatched steering input hoping for an on two wheels image then it went a bit too far??

Did the USA really land on the moon??
Last edited by: Fenlander on Wed 28 Apr 10 at 14:00
 Citroen Nemo Multispace - This week it's a rollover - BobbyG
Did the USA really land on the moon??

Is that really chicken your eating? :)
 Citroen Nemo Multispace - This week it's a rollover - diddy1234
"Did the USA really land on the moon??"

yes they did but not in the same place twice. he he
Latest Forum Posts