Motoring Discussion > Top Gear USA Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Cpt. Flack Replies: 7

Top Gear USA - Cpt. Flack
Saw a rerun of TG in the US the other night and noticed many drivers on the freeways with their dipped headlights on.

I know they drove through a downpour, but I noticed they were doing it in bright sunshine in more of the footage. Is it law in the states to have them on during daylight. If so, just freeways or all roads?
 Top Gear USA - RattleandSmoke
Don't all cars in Yankee land need day light running lights by law?
 Top Gear USA - R.P.
Most drivers seemed to drive with their lights on - the Mustang didn't have its lights hardwired so I can only assume that's it's not a legal requirement there - standard if driving far higher than I see in the UK, everyone was either on their phone or drinking Coffee and it seemed to cause no real drama in a couple of thousand miles saw very little bad driving - seem to see it every other mile here.
Last edited by: Pugugly on Mon 26 Apr 10 at 22:40
I've never been to Americanland because I don't have enough body mass to fly on one of thier air thingys.

However I would have thought driving in a America is so much easier because everything is much less dense and the roads are much wider etc.

When I ever see it on the TV it just likes a massive grid of dual carraige ways.
 Top Gear USA - Focusless
As a recent visitor to California and Nevada recently, I can report that in those states there are sections of road where signs indicate that lights are required. However, not everyone bothers (and I didn't) - perhaps there's a feeling that this is non-green. I couldn't work out what determined whether a road required lights or not.
 Top Gear USA - R.P.
Sounds about right - roads in Florida were only busy around Miami and Orlando at rush-hour. One road (Recommended by Smokie) Highway 41 was so quiet and straight that you could drive at a steady sixty without needing to be anywhere near the pedals. Almost boring. You'll never explore the handling of your car though.....
 Top Gear USA - Zero

>> You'll never explore the handling of your car though.....

just as well really, it never had any.

I am sure that will soon change as Europe is getting more control over the USA car industry.

I went in a Chrysler Sebring once and it was worse than I ever expected, I made a thread on it at the time on HJ. It felt like Lada had made all the plastics. I asked the driver what it was like to drive compared to his Mazda 6 and he said it was the worst car had ever driven. But the fact it was a hire car which had scorched discs and an illegal tyre may have influenced that decision!
Latest Forum Posts