Motoring Discussion > Citroen - Citroën DS5
Thread Author: Boxsterboy Replies: 26

Citroen - Citroën DS5 - Boxsterboy
Saw one of these today in France parked in a private drive and had to turn round to have another look. Wow, what a fantastic looking car! It was White with quite big 2-colour alloys and it looked really great. Sporty without any aggression, nicely balanced and not as 'fussy' as some of the photos make it look. It doesn't look that big, but then I guess the big wheels help it look smaller.

Haven't a clue how it drives (well, I've read some tests, but they can't be trusted, can they?) Certainly a car I will be looking into closely when it's time for a change (not sure if there's enough room inside for my needs).
 Citroen - Citroën DS5 - mikeyb
I think it looks awesome, but the figures didnt stack up for me.

Hoping that they will follow in the Citroen tradition of rapid depreciation leading to a nice buy in a few years time
 Citroen - Citroën DS5 - TeeCee
All the tests I've seen seem to indicate that it is hugely disappointing by comparison to the DS3 and DS4, which were both improvements on their "C" counterparts in terms of driving dynamics.

So it's a Citroen that's not very good. Rapid depreciation is a given. "Nice buy" may not be though......
 Citroen - Citroën DS5 - Zero
If you want a sharply styled bus its fine, but at the end of the day its still a bus.
 Citroen - Citroën DS5 - Fenlander
Don't know if you'd looked at Ling again mikey but she can do a DS5 for £4/mth less than a normal C5... bit of a bargain if you fancy something different.

I thought the top gear road test summed it up perfectly...

The DS5 is a lovely place to be, and from which to watch the world pass beneath your windows. It's about travel not tyre-smoke. After all, anyone who chooses a DS5 over say a 3-series Touring is already being different to the point of bloody-mindedness. History says there won't be many takers, but we'll applaud on the rare occasions we see one.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 31 Mar 12 at 23:52
 Citroen - Citroën DS5 - WillDeBeest
I do want a sharply-styled bus! At least, something that will eventually hold four adult-sized people and some luggage while remaining pleasant to drive and ride in.

I have to try one of these. I really wanted to like the C4 Picasso in 2007 but couldn't get on with the semi-auto gearbox, the misplaced instruments or the witless dealer who kept cancelling appontments. This looks like it can deal with the first two, and I'm in a different part of the country now, which may help with the third.

Since I haven't bought a Mercedes - yet, and not for want of trying - this has to be worth a look, doesn't it?
>> Since I haven't bought a Mercedes - yet, and not for want of trying -
>> this has to be worth a look, doesn't it?
No?

You want a bus or mercedes, the two are not the same, not by a very very long way.

A merc is a car, the DS5 is a disguised van.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 30 Mar 12 at 12:43
Seems Mercedes are dumping onto the fleet/lease market at the moment. Ling can do a C220SE Saloon with the 167bhp diesel for £10/mth less than a C5 Saloon with the 108BHP 1.6 diesel.

The Mrs is hoping a similar choice will be available when my lease is up at the end of this year.
What I want, Z, is four good seats, an occasional fifth, and a means of propelling and directing them that makes the experience a pleasure rather than a chore. The Mercedes can do that - we've tried it; our present MPV can't. This one? We don't know, which is why I'm curious to find out.
you need to look at a new style ford galaxy then WdB
Too big. Even the S-Max is more than we need now. The interior space can come from height or length, but we don't need both.

Our negative, jiggly experience with the Verso has made me wary of tall bodies, but the French are generally better at the ride comfort thing, which is what makes me curious about the DS5.
According to Carpages it only has a 60-litre tank. I'd need all that claimed 55mpg to keep me down to a fortnightly fill. Don't want to end up like ON and on first-name terms with the petrol cashiers at Sainsburys, do I?
};---)
 Citroen - Citroën DS5 - R.P.
Curses - went to the Autocar site to read up on it, they have a subscription offer on and I've signed up !

>> Our negative, jiggly experience with the Verso has made me wary of tall bodies, but
>> the French are generally better at the ride comfort thing, which is what makes me
>> curious about the DS5.
>>

Funnily enough, the ride is the one aspect of the DS5 that has come in for criticism. The French roads are so good these days they don't need the soft suspension of yore, whereas we most certainly do, given the state of our roads.

Zero, no way can the DS5 be called a bus! When you see one in the flesh you will see what I mean.
I did say a "sharply styled" bus.
 Citroen - Citroën DS5 - Dave_
I had a nose around one whilst waiting to pick up a C1 from a Citroen dealer in the week. The boot's only the same size as my Mondeo's, the centre console is far too big and the salesman pointed out that the rear pillar windows are plastic and will get scratched to opacity in 5 minutes. It's very nice to look at but I don't think I could live with one.
>> the salesman pointed out that the rear pillar
>> windows are plastic
>>

Awww, just like on the old BX. Shame it doesn't get proper Citroën suspension like the BX too.
>> Don't know if you'd looked at Ling again mikey but she can do a DS5
>> for £4/mth less than a normal C5... bit of a bargain if you fancy something
>> different.
>>

Still £85 a month more that I am paying for my C5 though. Not sure if its my perception or reality but I think leasing cost appear to have risen a bit over the last couple of years. Don't appear to be able to get quite as much car as you used to, and my target was to spend no more that I already do. Volvo V60 fitted the budget, but there wasn't much else in that price bracket to chose from
 Citroen - Citroën DS5 - rtj70
I saw a DS5 in Kendal today being driven by someone on a demonstration of the car... striking looks. The China only DS9 is even more striking.
>> I saw a DS5 in Kendal today being driven by someone on a demonstration of
>> the car... striking looks. The China only DS9 is even more striking.
>>

Saw the pictures of the DS9 and thought it was an Aston at first glance
>>>Still £85 a month more that I am paying for my C5 though.

Fair point, I think 2009 was the bargain year for C5 lease prices. My mileage and use type has dropped such that there are still some real bargains in other makes on Lings website I could consider... except about 4 weeks a year when the large estate is a must. Competing requirements are going to make the decision hard this Dec.
Well the point of my thread has been vindicated by the readers of Car Design News (don't say what?!) who have voted the DS5 as 'Production Car Design Of The Year', beating the Lamborghini Aventador amongst others in the process.

What impeccably good taste I have! ;-)
 Citroen - Citroën DS5 - Bagpuss
I really like the styling of the DS5. The interior though seems to have the same unnecessarily huge centre console as the Peugeot 3008, although the appearance and detailing are miles better. I just hope the DS5 is better to drive than the frankly horrible 3008.

Shame Citroën didn't put the V6 Biturbo diesel into it.
 Citroen - Citroën DS5 - Runfer D'Hills
I reckon it'll be as successful as the Renault Vel Satis...

:-)
Vel satis?

A dog turd compared to this

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201212457701775
 Citroen - Citroën DS5 - Dog
"Totally pointless except as a 'design statement'. Uncomfortable back seat. No wonder it lasted barely a year".

HJ.
HJ does not appreciate art unless you can buy it in Thailand.
Latest Forum Posts