Motoring Discussion > Suggestions for driving to Provence Miscellaneous
Thread Author: NeilS Replies: 16

Suggestions for driving to Provence - NeilS
We’re driving down to the west of Provence in September and wondering if we might seek some advice on the route down and a stop over. We’re going to Beziers from Calais, 648 miles according to the AA. We’ll be up for an early start from Calais on a Friday so I was thinking about doing around two thirds of the miles on the Friday and the final third on the Saturday. The route that the satnav and other route planners come up with takes us close to Paris and down to maybe Clermont Ferrand for the overnight stop – 442 miles. I don’t fancy going into, around and out of Paris around rush hour so was thinking of aiming the motor a bit more east and overnighting in Lyon. It’s 30 miles longer but if it avoids Paris I think it’s a better bet. We’ll divert back west on the Saturday to take in Millau. All your suggestions gratefully received.
 Suggestions for driving to Provence - Bromptonaut
Like you, I prefer to avoid Paris.

Heading for Clermont you could do worse than Calais, Rouen, Evreux, Chartres then Orleans to pick up the A10/A72/A75. Rouen can be abit of a 'mare (and I never been round the same way twice!). The N road to Orleans is largely, but by no means wholly, dualled.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 25 Apr 10 at 10:43
 Suggestions for driving to Provence - sherlock47
Beziers Not Provence - Languedoc!

I have driven this journey regularly for the last 10 years. Usually my preferred route is Rouen, Chartre,s Orleans, CF. Millau but for the last 4 trips I have been using Norfolk Line from Dunkirk and and have used the Paris East ring on a Sunday afternoon. On 2 of the journeys I have not slowed below 80km/hr the whole way around Paris.

Many much nicer places than Clermont Ferand for an overnight stop.

With 2 drivers easily achievable from N London in a single day.

Rouen is no problem - just follow the signs. Chartres, it is often better to go thro the centre providing the time of day is good. Watch the mobile speed traps on the N154 between Chartres and Orleans.
Last edited by: pmh on Sun 25 Apr 10 at 11:30
 Suggestions for driving to Provence - smokie
Drop by in Le Mans to take a spin down the Mulsanne straight (Hunaudieres or some-such). Although there are a couple of roundabouts, and some speed limits, which are not there during the 24 hour race, it's a good experience if you are passing.

You need to decide whether you want to spend on tolls or are happy with the main N roads.

Also crossing to Boulogne shaves a bit off if you are going that way.
 Suggestions for driving to Provence - jc2
Rouen is easy-come in on the autoroute-after the second tunnel,stay in the middle lane(of three)signposted Paris-this takes you onto the east ring road and follow that round to the autoroute-then choose which way you want-towards Paris if you're going the "Chartres" route.
 Suggestions for driving to Provence - Jacks
I've been many times to this area, and agree with the others:

Boulogne,Rouen,Chartres, Orleans,CF, then A75 all the way.

You'll avoid toll stretches for over half of this route and there's no real holdups or bottlenecks since the Millau Bridge has been completed.

I have sometimes stayed at the Novotel Orleans Sud (LA Source) - 5 minutes from the autoroute, the restaurant is very good with tables outside on the terrace by the pool.
If you have young children they stay free in your room (the sofa in the room converts to 2 single beds) and the pool is very nice for them to unwind in after a long day in the car.
If you book now you can probably get an early bird type cheap all in rate inc breakfast.

If you prefer a hotel with more character look at the logis de France website

J
The Campanile at La Source is good too;the only one I know that's set in a forest.Have a look at the Garabit viaduct as well-you can leave the autoroute at the junction before and get back on at the next one.You can see it from a service area on the autoroute but it's not as good.
Last edited by: jc2 on Sun 25 Apr 10 at 13:28
 Suggestions for driving to Provence - Bellboy
Garabit viaduct
>
>>>. closed due to cracks
didnt know that,thought the paint looked more faded than last time i saw it
 Suggestions for driving to Provence - Runfer D'Hills
My son, when he was quite small remembered that viaduct from a previous trip. He excitedly called out "Look dad, the Gay Rabbit's" bridge !" I managed not to crash........
The road doesn't go over the viaduct-it goes under it-four times!!I did once see a train go over it!
 Suggestions for driving to Provence - Auntie Lockbrakes
I've done a similar journey multiple times (when I lived in France). Although most people are wary of facing Paris traffic, it's actually not that bad at all outside of rush hour. Better than London! I found that the alternative suggested here - Rouen, Chartres, Orleans - really seemed to take ages to cover by comparison, and adds quite a few extra kms as you circumnavigate big bad Paris.

The ring road that skirts the east of Paris can be busy but destinations south are clearly signposted and it's hard to go wrong. Alternatively, I used to head for Paris centre then hop on the peripherique (anticlockwise) and the Orleans motorway exit near Porte d'Italie is clearly signposted. This has to be the most direct way (as the crow flies).

Otherwise, have you considered Calais to Reims and then south to Lyon - that keeps you well away from Paris! Mind you, Lyon ring-road can be very busy at peak times too...
There are several roads around Lyon.I stay on the road straight thro' the middle-busy but short.
Last edited by: jc2 on Tue 27 Apr 10 at 07:38
 Suggestions for driving to Provence - Bromptonaut
>> There are several roads around Lyon.I stay on the road straight thro' the middle-busy but
>> short.

I'd also endorse that for traffic staying on the 'autoroute de soleil'. The east side by pass is OK but hard work to follow.
 Suggestions for driving to Provence - Telb
I've towed the caravan around the Paris east ring road a few times - I think the route is called La Francillienne. No problems with it but I'd be wary of going any closer in to the city.

Agree CF is a hole and as mentioned further down, Logis are a good bet for a typically "french" hotel.

Terry
 Suggestions for driving to Provence - CGNorwich
CF may be a hole but it is the home of Michelin tyres
 Suggestions for driving to Provence - captain grimes
CF a hole?? But it was the magical wintry location for Ma Nuit Chez Maud... Tread softly because you tread on my celluloid dreams!
 Suggestions for driving to Provence - Armel Coussine
Avoid Paris and other big towns unless you want to go to them. Take your time. Get a decent map and plan a route using mainly routes departementales, often virtually empty and with a leisurely 60mph or so limit. Stop when you fancy it, not too late in the day, and stay at any auberge in a village or small town that looks decent and has a room. It will usually be excellent value, as will the dinner you find in a local place later that evening after a drink in the bar.

The next morning, a giant refreshed, you will be out for another day of French-style efficient mimsing. Two days will do it nicely, but if you get distracted, why worry?
Latest Forum Posts