Technical Car/Motor Issues > Volkswagen T5 Transporter Shuttle - 08 2.5 Engine fumes in cabin
Thread Author: Boxsterboy Replies: 5

Volkswagen T5 Transporter Shuttle - 08 2.5 Engine fumes in cabin - Boxsterboy
I am getting engine fumes through the air vents, and much as I normally like the smell of burnt diesel, there is a limit. It's only noticeable at idle. The seal between the engine bay and the scuttle seems ok but I can hear a very faint hissing (above the rattle of the engine) when I lift the bonnet, so I'm guessing the manifold gasket may be leaking slightly. Any more enlightened suggestions?
 Volkswagen T5 Transporter Shuttle - 08 2.5 Engine fumes in cabin - Zero
Could be a leaking breather pipe, they smell "hot oily"

Volkswagen T5 Transporter Shuttle - 08 2.5 Engine fumes in cabin - Dave
Are you sure it's not the aux heater, as they usually exhaust under/at the back of the engine bay.
I don't think so. Looking on the VW forums suggests it might be a disintegrating or blocked particulate filter (!) causing exhaust gases to blow back, but there are no warning lights to suggest a fault there, and the engine runs just fine.
Update: it's the manifold gasket that was leaking, but of corse the bolts holding the manifold are corroded into the block!
 Volkswagen T5 Transporter Shuttle - 08 2.5 Engine fumes in cabin - cmp
sorry to be bearer of bad news, but these exhaust manifolds get cracked welds right by the block ( they are not made from cast iron but sheet metal)
Google it, youll see what I mean. Im in the middle of fixing mine now ;-(
Latest Forum Posts