Technical Car/Motor Issues > Perodua Kenari - 02 1.0 Squeaky belt/pulley
Thread Author: Stuu Replies: 17

Perodua Kenari - 02 1.0 Squeaky belt/pulley - Stuu
May recall I mentioned a squealing belt previously. It got worse over the last week so its been into the garage and had both aux belts changed.

The noise has changed considerably but hasnt gone away completely.

Before it was a linear squeal much inline with engine revs and reasonably loud. Now the noise is a squeak, only when under high load like pulling away from junctions and only in the first few miles from stone cold. It doesnt seem to go up much with the revs unlike before.

My initial thought was a bearing on one of the pulleys might be past its best but I dont really know. Is it worth investigating further?
I have a sneaking suspicion that come warner temperatures, it will disappear but I also dont want to leave it if theres a prospect of a big but quiet failure leaving me stranded which would be a PITA.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 10 Feb 12 at 12:30
 Perodua Kenari - 02 1.0 Squeky belt/pulley - Dog
Why not get the belt/belts replaced just to be on the 'safe side'.
 Perodua Kenari - 02 1.0 Squeky belt/pulley - Stuu
I did.
 Perodua Kenari - 02 1.0 Squeky belt/pulley - Zero
Was it noisy when you left the garage?

Its probably one of the pulleys as you say or an idler

on a more serious note, it could be an idler on the cam belt (if it has one)
Its only noisy ( though not loud by any means ) when its stone cold, but after a few miles its quiet, so was well warmed up after a half hour drive to garage.

Does have a cambelt, not certain if the tensioner was changed when the belt was so Im thinking I may get it changed in the summer just to be sure even though it supposedly already been done. Been quoted £90 which seems very reasonable.

Is there any quick way of working out whats causing the noise?
 Perodua Kenari - 02 1.0 Squeky belt/pulley - bathtub tom
Drip some water over the auxiliary belts, in turn, while the squeak's there. That may eliminate the cause.
Okey dokey, ill give it a try.
 Perodua Kenari - 02 1.0 Squeky belt/pulley - Zero
use a hand pump sprayer, the one that had cif in it.
 Perodua Kenari - 02 1.0 Squeky belt/pulley - Victorbox
Squeaking only when cold may be your water pump giving you early warning that's it's bearing is getting tired!
Thats reassuring :-)

Still, they are only £40 or so - get them done along with the cambelt dont you?
Its going into the garage next week overnight so it can be run from cold.

They are going to take the aux belts off one at a time to isolate the possible pulleys causing it, hopefully not the cambelt, but atleast it should narrow it down.

Possible water pump, alternator, tensioner... ah what fun. That said, its the last niggle I have with it so should be set once its sorted, perfect £2k cars are rare, esp when Im buying them :-)
 Perodua Kenari - 02 1.0 Squeky belt/pulley - TeeCee
Mine's the alternator bearing.

Squeak / rattle from cold, goes away when warm. When it gets really awful I squirt some engine oil onto it and it shuts up completely for a while. Also started when the drive belt was replaced, I think the unforgiving "newness" of the belt is a factor here, even though this car has a seperate, sprung belt tensioner.

I'm not replacing an alternator for a squeak, I'll wait 'til it gives up.

Easy way to tell, long screwdriver and ear. Touch screwdriver to suspect component, apply ear to other end. Which one's at fault will be obvious.
 Perodua Kenari - 02 1.0 Squeky belt/pulley - VxFan
>> Touch screwdriver to suspect component, apply ear to other end.

Making sure the blade end is touching the component and the handle to your ear. You'd be surprised how many people get it the wrong way round.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 14 Feb 12 at 13:57
Right i think ive isolated the offending component.

I did the water test and that made it clear what belt was noisy.

Then this morning I doused the PAS pump pulley bearing with WD40 and after 5 seconds the noise was gone and hasnt returned, obviously enough seeped in to quieten it down.

So its the PAS pump - question is, do I just continue to add WD40 weekly to stretch it out or should I replace? The pumps are about £50 plus fitting so not extortionate, but if I can delay spending id like to, but not at the risk of more trouble.

Opinions?
 Perodua Kenari - 02 1.0 Squeky belt/pulley - swiss tony
>> So its the PAS pump - question is, do I just continue to add WD40
>> weekly to stretch it out or should I replace? The pumps are about £50 plus
>> fitting so not extortionate, but if I can delay spending id like to, but not
>> at the risk of more trouble.
>>
>> Opinions?
>>

Replace it soon, but when convenient.
If you leave it, sod's law dictates it will give up when you most need the car / in the middle of nowhere, in the dark and rain. (Oh, and with a flat battery on your mobile phone.........)
Well, I could do with waiting until May, but having never had an issue like this, Im not sure how long they last and I dont want to do the false economy of waiting and bigger overall expense if something dramatic happens.

I presume if the WD40 stopped the squeaking, that means it did some good?
 Perodua Kenari - 02 1.0 Squeky belt/pulley - VxFan
>> Then this morning I doused the PAS pump pulley bearing with WD40 and after 5
>> seconds the noise was gone

More than likely some of the WD40 got on the belt and quietened it down.

My old Mk1 Astra had a squeaky cambelt. The mechanics cure was to give it quick spray with WD40. All it did was to change the frictional properties between the belt and cam sprockets and reduce the dryness between them to stop the noise. Every month or so if it came back, I just gave it another quick squirt to shut it up for another month or so.
Pretty sure I got it where it needed to go, I had a bit of card underneath to catch any excess and only a drop dripped down, but where I sprayed it wont drip onto the offending belt, nor onto the second aux belt.

So far today the noise hasnt come back so given my usual habit of spending too much fixing every niggle, Im going to see how long before the noise comes back and resist the urge to shell out any coin atm. Im going to ring around tomorrow and get a price for the pump so I know roughly where Im at.
Latest Forum Posts