Technical Car/Motor Issues > Perodua Kenari - 02 1.0 Temp gauge playing up
Thread Author: Stuu Replies: 4

Perodua Kenari - 02 1.0 Temp gauge playing up - Stuu
Had a moment this morning, got ten miles down the road, noticed the temp hadnt risen at all, so my first thought was thermostat, but the heater was strong so thought maybe not.

Then I looked back at the gauge and it was at normal. On my way home it again dropped to zero from lukewarm, then I actually saw it spring to life, so I discounted the thermostat and figured its a connection somewhere, so I fiddled with the sensor and it was fine all day.

Then tonight, yet again the gauge refused to lift off zero. I gave the top of the dashboard a gentle clout and it sprang to life, so Im presuming the issue is at the dashboard end.

My question is, would it likely be a niggle in the gauge itself or just the connection to it, given the 'fix' I made. I thinking as the car stood a while, it could have got damp in the car in that time possibly.
 Perodua Kenari - 02 1.0 Temp gauge playing up - Dave_
>> would it likely be a niggle in the gauge itself or just the connection to it, given the 'fix' I made

Could be either, at least you've narrowed it down to the dashboard end of the sensor wiring. Taking it apart in search of a cure might introduce other issues, I'd be inclined just to use the same "fix" every time it goes on the blink, it adds character.

A prospective buyer won't notice it on a test drive. Well you didn't ;)
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Mon 23 Jan 12 at 19:58
 Perodua Kenari - 02 1.0 Temp gauge playing up - Zero
Any other gauge acting up? if they are its a dash panel earth fault.

If its just the one gauge acting up its probably the loom / dash panel connector. It could be one of those PCB edge connector type that get dirty and tarnished.
 Perodua Kenari - 02 1.0 Temp gauge playing up - Stuu
Only one so far as I can tell, theres only 4, is the speedo electrical these days, not something i ever think about?

Rev counter and fuel gauge deffo ok but the speedo has ever such a slight wobble.
Last edited by: FoR on Mon 23 Jan 12 at 20:35
 Perodua Kenari - 02 1.0 Temp gauge playing up - VxFan
Not sure if the same applies to 'modern' cars, but the fuel and temp gauge used to share certain wiring and IIRC have a voltage stabiliser transistor in line.
Latest Forum Posts