Technical Car/Motor Issues > Mitsubishi Lancer - 07 1.6 Spark plugs Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 11

Mitsubishi Lancer - 07 1.6 Spark plugs - Zero
Posted this on the "other site" as well

Just changed the spark plugs on the lancer A 2007 1.6 with the 4G18 enigne.

I had assumed it had standard plugs (NGK BKR6E-11) but instead I found it had been fitted (at the factory) with NGK IFR6S iridium spark plugs. (these should be changed at 54k - Not 27K as per the BKR6E)

I changed them anyway as I had bought the new ones. The old ones however look kinda funny, it appears to have staining round the insulator base, almost like exhaust blow buy. Its the same on all four. (its not rust - the metal socket body is rust free)

Any thoughts? they look like they have been running hot to me.

Photos here

s606.photobucket.com/albums/tt148/know_wun/Spark%20Plug/
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 20 Apr 10 at 00:24
 Mitsubishi Lancer - 07 1.6 Spark plugs - bathtub tom
>>Posted this on the "other site" as well

So have I. ;>)

I've often noticed that sort of staining on the insulator, but I haven't a clue what causes it.

I'd be more concerned about the reddish colour of the working end of the plugs. I've never seen that before!
 Mitsubishi Lancer - 07 1.6 Spark plugs - Skoda
Who do you buy your fuel from Zero?
Alternate supermarket and shell v power.

I have been using millars when I use the supermarket stuff. Think I will knock that on the head.

It was running lean due to a blocked air filter (see the other servicing thread)
At the last MOT (3k miles ago) it had

Fast idle
CO = 0.00
HC = 2 ppm
Lambda = 1.014
 Mitsubishi Lancer - 07 1.6 Spark plugs - bathtub tom
>>It was running lean due to a blocked air filter

That would have made it more likely to run rich in the old days. With modern engine management systems controlling the mixture I would've thought all it would do now is restrict performance.
 Mitsubishi Lancer - 07 1.6 Spark plugs - Dog
>>> they look like they have been running hot to me <<<

They do to me also, although an overheated plug normally shows up on the ceramic insulator at the business end.
The last time I saw plugs that colour, there was water in the cylinders but it could be quite normal with today's advanced engines & petrol additives - Screwloose would know.
I think its the millars addative. It just wipes off with a finger nail. I will run on just shell regular for 2k miles and whip out a plug to check again.
 Mitsubishi Lancer - 07 1.6 Spark plugs - Skoda
>> I think its the millars addative

Yeah it will be, it'll be "MMT", i googled that and millars and they do indeed use it in their potions: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylcyclopentadienyl_manganese_tricarbonyl

Tesco (well greenergy) put it in their super unleaded 99 ron stuff too.
Last edited by: CraigP on Mon 19 Apr 10 at 22:07
 Mitsubishi Lancer - 07 1.6 Spark plugs - Screwloose

Look up "Corona Discharge." That's the cause of the external burning on the plugs' ceramic.
 Mitsubishi Lancer - 07 1.6 Spark plugs - brandon mitchell
Are you having problems using the old spark plug?
No, I just dropped in a new set. That was 5 months ago tho ;)
Latest Forum Posts