Technical Car/Motor Issues > Skoda Superb Estate - 10 can I fit 215/45 instead of 225/45 sized tyres?
Thread Author: NeilS Replies: 6

Skoda Superb Estate - 10 can I fit 215/45 instead of 225/45 sized tyres? - NeilS
I have some very good condition Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme tyres off my Subaru that I'd like to use in the winter on the Skoda but they are one size narrower. Appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 15 Apr 10 at 10:30
 Skoda Superb Estate - 10 tyres - ok or not to fit 215/45 instead of 22 - NeilS
No that's not 10 tyres - that's the model year jumping into the subject line, apologies.

So that should read "ok or not to fit 215/45 instead of 225/45?" Thanks

Corrected for you
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 15 Apr 10 at 10:30
 Skoda Superb Estate - 10 tyres - ok or not to fit 215/45 instead of 22 - bathtub tom
Your gearing will be different. The engine will run at higher revs for any given road speed, but you may not realise this because the speedo will also be reading high.

Use this link to calculate the difference. Scroll down to 'A tyre size calculator.'
www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg4.html

I'd recommend contacting your insurance company. I recently changed my tyre size and all they did was make a note on the policy for no change of premium.
 Skoda Superb Estate - 10 tyres - ok or not to fit 215/45 instead of 22 - Skoda
If you're just changing the width you wont need to worry about changes to milometer / speedo readings.

These are the 17"s right? In that case they're the 7.5 inch wide wheels (J rim). 215s will go on safely.

Skoda Superb Estate - 10 tyres - ok or not to fit 215/45 instead of 22 - VxFan
>> If you're just changing the width you wont need to worry about changes to milometer
>> / speedo readings.

It will affect it slighty. The width change also changes the sidewall value.
 Skoda Superb Estate - 10 tyres - ok or not to fit 215/45 instead of 22 - -
Agreed, tell your insurance company...if you click onto ''carbibles'' and scroll down the tyre pages he has some excellent calculator's built in where you can check the rolling radius reduction and see if your wheels are narrow enough to accept the slightly narrower tyre.

I would use them, good tyre too.
 Skoda Superb Estate - 10 tyres - ok or not to fit 215/45 instead of 22 - NeilS
>>he has some excellent calculator's built in where you can check the rolling radius reduction and see if your wheels are narrow enough to accept the slightly narrower tyre.

Well that was a useful few minutes, thanks very much everyone!

Zero difference in circumference and the Vredesteins will fit on the slightly deeper 7.5J wheels - apparently ok to put the tyres on anything from 7" to 8.5." I shall print it off and send a copy to the insurance company with a photo.

That's saved me quite a few pennies by not having to fleabay the existing tyres at a cheap price and buy bigger, new and more expensive ones.

Latest Forum Posts