Technical Car/Motor Issues > Volkswagen Polo III - 99 1.4 rough running, no power
Thread Author: zookeeper Replies: 11

Volkswagen Polo III - 99 1.4 rough running, no power - zookeeper
hi room the polo is nothing but trouble, its running very lumpy and lacks any real power
its impossible to drive with any less than 2500 revs
when i depress the throttle pedal there is a sudden dip in revs and a brief sucking noise
and to make any investigation harder the srews holding the airbox on have been rounded out
i diconnected the airbox trunking from the warm air end and blocked the opening
i was expecting the revs to drop or even stall but air is getting in somewhere....am i in the right area? im not a mechanic so any help would be appreciated
 Volkswagen Polo III - 99 1.4 rough running, no power - -
Been through the basics, checked the spark plugs?.

Sounds like it could be missing, try an insulated pair of pliers and pull the plug leads off one by one, you'll possibly remove one that makes little or no difference, if swapping the plug and lead over (assuming length allows) leaves the same cylinder not responding, could be worth compression testing.
thanks GB i managed to get the air box off and the breather was full of mayo, cleared it all out and gave the throttle a dose of carb cleaner..running better now but it still feels likes its running on 3 pots....injector problem possibly
I was more thinking of valves, head and/or compression Zoo, hence the changing over of a suspect plug and lead with one that works fine should you find by removing the plug leads whilst running that one cylinder is unaffected.
i will give your suggestion a go GB, wont be till wednesday as im out of town till then thanks for your help..will report back thanks again
update, worn plugs and dizzy cap and rotor arm ht leads replaced, runs like a dream now
S'funny, but not so long ago we would slip a set of spark plugs in every year or ever other.

I don't think it was such a bad policy, invariably when i now renew a set of plugs the large gaps on the very worn plugs would have led to very poor running from older ignition systems.

The car always feels better for a new set and unless you want titanium, or whatever the boy racer must have these days is, are still extremely cheap.

Should we be taking a large pinch of salt with some of the recommended replacement intervals for things like plugs, much as many of us do with starship miles oil changes.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Tue 24 Jan 12 at 22:21
 Volkswagen Polo III - 99 1.4 rough running, no power - sajid
i think yu get the spark plugs replaced ever 25000 miles or so that wat i got with my honda gd jazz, the servicing book states plugs changed every 25000 miles
 Volkswagen Polo III - 99 1.4 rough running, no power - VxFan
My 2.2 Vectra, they don't need changing for 80,000 miles or 8 years (whichever comes soonest).
 Volkswagen Polo III - 99 1.4 rough running, no power - blackbird
"80,000 miles or 8 years (whichever comes soonest)"

I can understand belts or tyres degrading with age, but spark plugs?

I've got several boxes of new unused spark plugs which are in excess of 10 years old now, should I throw them away?
 Volkswagen Polo III - 99 1.4 rough running, no power - swiss tony
>> I can understand belts or tyres degrading with age, but spark plugs?
>>
>> I've got several boxes of new unused spark plugs which are in excess of 10
>> years old now, should I throw them away?
>>

Whats the 'Best by' date on the box?

;-)
 Volkswagen Polo III - 99 1.4 rough running, no power - VxFan
>> I can understand belts or tyres degrading with age, but spark plugs?
>> I've got several boxes of new unused spark plugs which are in excess of 10
>> years old now, should I throw them away?

I suspect your comment is TIC, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.
8 years is the recommendation if they've been used.
Latest Forum Posts