Technical Car/Motor Issues > Citroen Xantia - 00 2.0 Battery Going?
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 12

Citroen Xantia - 00 2.0 Battery Going? - Bromptonaut
Car is reluctant to crank/start on frosty mornings - only caught at last gasp on Wednesday. Sounds for all world as though battery is flat. Been OK thurs and today when air temp well above freezing. Garage have tested battery inclusding charge and drop test and say it's OK - at least in their workshop. Alternative diagnosis is a lazy starter motor.

Obviuosly getting the starter off and bench testing is going to be a few bob.

Is it possible that battery can give a normal result when warm but lose performance rapidly when cold?
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 25 Nov 11 at 16:23
 Citroen Xantia - 00 2.0 Battery Going? - Robin O'Reliant
>> Is it possible that battery can give a normal result when warm but lose performance
>> rapidly when cold?
>>
That's what I was told when I had a suspected battery problem a few years ago (turned out to be the starter in my case).
 Citroen Xantia - 00 2.0 Battery Going? - bathtub tom
The solenoid on my Kia has just failed like that. Symptoms were indicative of a failing battery with the starter getting sluggish and then the solenoid just clunking and finally not operating at all.

I confirmed it by temporarily fitting the battery off my other car, running a direct jumper to the solenoid and another direct earth connection (then had to retune both radios).
 Citroen Xantia - 00 2.0 Battery Going? - carmalade
If you are totally sure that the battery is ok and has been tested correctly,then i would do some volt drop tests.Especially the engine earth to chassis/battery neg terminal.As a quick test ,it may be a good idea to run a jump lead from the neg of the battery directly to the engine block to see if this improves the starter /crank situation.hth
Thanks guys. Monitoring for time being - see how it is next time we have a frost.
 Citroen Xantia - 00 2.0 Battery Going? - Dog
This is what I would have used to test your battery when I was on in the game:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oldham-12-Volt-Heavy-Discharge-Battery-Drop-Tester-MOD-/400259286811?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5d3150071b
 Citroen Xantia - 00 2.0 Battery Going? - -
You know how quickly it's turning over first touch of the key at the moment, why not connect jump leads from the Berlie or a jump pack before trying to start it.

If it flies over get yourself a new battery, if it's slow to turn over check all connections and run a jump lead to an engine earth point as well as to the battery terminal, see what the difference is then.

It's a lot easier than faffing about checking voltages.

By the way can you check the electrolyte levels or is a throwaway jobbie.
 Citroen Xantia - 00 2.0 Battery Going? - VxFan
>> By the way can you check the electrolyte levels or is a throwaway jobbie.

Even with the 'sealed for life' or 'maintenance' free batteries, there might be a pop off cover somewhere to gain access to the reservoir that tops the battery up during its life. Could well be under the manufacturers sticky label.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 26 Nov 11 at 19:00
 Citroen Xantia - 00 2.0 Battery Going? - RichardW
Most likely the battery - it takes a lot of oomph to crank an HDi. If it spins over well after a run, then that's a good pointer to the battery being knackered - best test is to check the voltage cold, and then wilst the engine is cranked - if it drops much below 11V it's given its best - HDis can get difficult to start if the battery is low, as there is insufficient voltage to keep the injection running just after start, and they need a bit of throttle to keep them running. Hardly ever hear of starter problems on these.
 Citroen Xantia - 00 2.0 Battery Going? - hawkeye
Agree it's likely to be the battery. The old C3 starter was spinning slower last year and because it was Mrs H's car I bought a new battery. Knocked the top off the old battery and found it was nearly bone dry. Topped it up, dosed it with Bat-Aid and left it on the Aldi smart charger for a fortnight and it was good enough to rescue the in-laws' C3 sensodrive when it was donated to my son as a non-runner. The battery is still in there and it's son's daily driver.

Are you following all this?

Bet it's a low-maintenance battery with the electrolyte down but you'll need to take the top off with a small hammer and sharp screwdriver to see the plates. Usual caveats apply.
Thanks for all the replies. It's been fine since the trip to the garage but we've only had one frost since.
 Citroen Xantia - 00 2.0 Battery Going? - MJM
A symptom of a low battery in a Xantia is that the speedo and tachometer needles start to fly over to the "fast" end of the dial when the engine is cranked from cold. (The tachometer needle can get trapped at the far end if you're unlucky).
My petrol one behaved the same as yours, even to the results of the discharge test. We even did some loaded/unloaded voltage tests at work. It still failed shortly after, however. A new one solved the problem. The original only lasted 12 years. :)
UPDATE.

It was almost certainly the battery. Had Britannia Rescue out to it a week ago and it started instantly off their jump pack. Was also doing what MJM describes with speedo & tacho needles.

New battery fitted at Indy while I waited and chatted to proprietor about weather and snow tyres. It's good to be a valued customer!!

Started instantly since except on Saturday when it was reluctant then hesitant and smoky for 10-15 seconds. Probably down to -13 overnight low and either preheat not coping or incipient waxing in fuel (GB mentioned this being a problem in Wellyboro same day).
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 16 Feb 12 at 14:05
Latest Forum Posts