Technical Car/Motor Issues > Citroen Berlingo Multispace II - 10 1.6 Which engine? (i.e. how many bhp?) Miscellaneous
Thread Author: tyro Replies: 13

Citroen Berlingo Multispace II - 10 1.6 Which engine? (i.e. how many bhp?) - tyro
Just back from France. Rental car there was a new Berlingo Multispace Hdi 1.6. Is there any way that I can find out whether it was the 75 bhp, 90 bhp or 110 bhp variety? (I noted some numbers under the bonnet.)
 Citroen Berlingo Multispace II - 10 1.6 Which engine? (i.e. how many bhp?) - Screwloose

The engine code should be in the VIN number.

9HT = 75
9HV = 90
9HX = 90
9HZ = 109
 Citroen Berlingo Multispace II - 10 1.6 Which engine? (i.e. how many bhp?) - tyro
Thanks, Screwloose.

I clearly didn't manage to note the correct numbers, because none of those codes are in the pics I took.

tinyurl.com/yc629kt
tinyurl.com/ydf7qpo
tinyurl.com/yelmt9f

Looks like I still remain out of my depth with regard to cars!

Citroen Berlingo Multispace II - 10 1.6 Which engine? (i.e. how many bhp?) - Screwloose

The first one appears to be the part number sticker for the headlight; the second the headlight adjustment data and the third the tyre pressures.

The VIN number should have been stamped in.
The VIN number should have been stamped in.

Alas, I seem to have missed it. Next time, I'll look more carefully.
 Citroen Berlingo Multispace II - 10 1.6 Which engine? (i.e. how many bhp?) - RichardW
It wasn't a 110, as that only comes with 215/55/16 tyres according to Citroen...

Unfortunately the trim level doesn't give away 75 or 90 horses either - but given that most hire cars are bottom spec, it's likely to have been a 75 I'd have thought....
Thanks, Richard.

It wasn't a 110, as that only comes with 215/55/16 tyres according to Citroen...

In the UK, that is correct. However, this was a French market Berlingo, and I suspect that in France, things may be different.

In fact, I have, just now, downloaded a French Brochure which, as far as I can understand it, suggests that specifications are indeed different there - and that the 110 engine is available with 205/65/15 tyres. If my French were better, I'd be a little more certain.

Furthermore, the vehicle didn't seem bottom spec to me. It had Cruise Control and Climate Control. And, according to the brochure "Climatisation automatique bi-zone (température) avec iltre à pollen" is not available in either of the bottom 2 trims, even as an option.

More interestingly, as far as I am concerned, it seems to say that the 75 engine is only available with the bottom 2 trims, which suggests that I was probably driving a 90 or 110 model. But I guess that's as close as I will get to finding out.
 Citroen Berlingo Multispace II - 10 1.6 Which engine? (i.e. how many bhp?) - Zero
begs the question, why are you so keen to find out? thinking of buying one? How about your thoughts of the said vehicle.
"begs the question, why are you so keen to find out?"

It does, doesn't it? The truth is that I have an insatiable curiosity about certain things that I don't actually need to know!

"thinking of buying one?"

At some time in the future, I might. However, I can't see myself doing so any time soon.

"How about your thoughts of the said vehicle."

I'll write a review soon. I promise.
And I've now written the review.

I think I've solved the mystery of the engine, by the way. The clue was that when I divided my mileage in the vehicle by the amount of fuel I put in, I got 52 mpg. (Since I know I returned the car brim full, and it may have been less than brim full when I picked it up, this meant that I got at least 52 mpg, and may have gotten more.)

This rather surprised me, because it compared favourably with the figures given for the UK spec Berlingo with any engine - which told me that I should have expected about 50 mpg at best. I have never managed to equal (let alone better) the official combined mpg figure on a diesel hire car, so I was surprised to get 52 mpg.

When I looked at the fuel consumption figures in the French Berlingo brochure, I discovered that the HDi 75, the HDi 92, and the HDi 110 FAP engines all had an estimated combined mpg of about 50 - whereas the HDi 92 FAP engine had a combined mpg of about 53.

I'm guessing, therefore, that I had an HDi 92 FAP engine. Whatever that is.

Filtre Aux Particulates - French for DPF - a desperate attempt to relocate the depositing of a diesel's soot output.

Usually a very good way to ruin the fuel consumption too? Odd that it's better than the non-FAP ones?
I did suspect that it was something like a DPF, and I also had a feeling that these things didn't usually help fuel economy.

However, here are the figures for mpg (converted from litres per 100km) according to the French brochure:

Petrol 1.6i 16v 90 - 34.5
Petrol VTi 120* - 38.7
Diesel HDi 75 - 49.6
Diesel HDi 92 - 49.6
Diesel HDi 92 (7 seat) - 47.9
Diesel HDi 92 FAP - 53.3
Diesel HDi 110 FAP - 50.4
Diesel HDi 110 FAP (7 seat) - 48.7

So Citroen seem to be claiming that their filters actually improve economy. They do admit that the 0-100 km/h figure falls from 14.3 seconds to 14.4.

* I believe that this engine is not available in British spec Berlingos yet.
Last edited by: tyro on Tue 20 Apr 10 at 10:35

I suppose it depends on when they measure it; like the emission figures, it only looks good when it isn't dumping it's load.

Overall; the fuel wasted during re-gens probably evens it out.
Screwloose's post of Mon 12 Apr 10 16:07 has, rather unexpectedly, come in useful after all these months.

It enables me to confirm that the 2nd hand Berlingo I have just bought does indeed have the 90 bhp engine. (There was a bit of a query, because it appeared as 75 bhp on an insurance database.)
Latest Forum Posts