Technical Car/Motor Issues > Volkswagen Polo III - 99 1.4 am radio Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: zookeeper Replies: 11

Volkswagen Polo III - 99 1.4 am radio - zookeeper
ive swapped my radio out of the old car into the polo, but i cant get AM reception its just a buzzing noise, FM works fine and the cd player is fine , the stereo is a jvc , nowt special....any advise as to whats causing the interference would be appreciated
 Volkswagen Polo III - 99 1.4 am radio - VxFan
All the time, or only when the engine is running?

If the latter, try connecting a separate earth to the chassis of the stereo.
 Volkswagen Polo III - 99 1.4 am radio - carmalade
Could be a fault with the radio or the aerial system on the car.Also many of the older VW models require an aerial amplifier fitted in line on the coax lead to get reasonable am reception.I would try it with another aerial plugged in as a test.hth
 Volkswagen Polo III - 99 1.4 am radio - Dave_
Yes, poor/nonexistant AM reception on aftermarket head units is a common problem on VAG cars for the reason carmalade gives.
thanks for the replies, il look into it and see what materialises...thanks again
 Volkswagen Polo III - 99 1.4 am radio - VR6
As above. I've had 4 VW's and they all needed an amplified aerial with aftermarket headunits.

see www.nexxia.co.uk/product.asp?product_code=PC5-90&category=Antenna%20Adaptors§ion=Car%20Audio

The blue wire needs to be fitted to the 12V 'remote' blue wire in the headunits wiring harness
thanks again....you would of thought this 19th century technology would have been standardised by now, the two block connectors (one black ,one brown) fitted simples as did the coax...oh well, i was wondering my radio/cd player has a black cable running from the back of the unit with a threaded end (female) on it, is that anything to get worked up about? cheers
 Volkswagen Polo III - 99 1.4 am radio - Zero

>> i was wondering my radio/cd player has a black cable running from the back of
>> the unit with a threaded end (female) on it, is that anything to get worked
>> up about? cheers

CD changer?
 Volkswagen Polo III - 99 1.4 am radio - Iffy
...female socket on the end of a black wire...

It's not one of these is it?

www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/5984093/F-Plug-Satellite-TV-Connector-Female-Female-Coupler-x-5/Product.html?_%24ja=tsid:11518|cat:5984093|prd:5984093

Can't think why it would have one, although the same sockets are used for DAB aerials.

the black lead was the steering wheel remote control connector...i found a useful pdf manual online....thanks anyway....but the AM signal will need a boost cable, ive ordered one on fleabay
ive got one of those antenna filters and the blue wire has a funny type of aligator clip on it, i imagine it clips on one of the block connectors some how? any ideas anyone.....cheers
 Volkswagen Polo III - 99 1.4 am radio - carmalade
It is just a push and click fit.However they can be a bit of a fiddle to get it to lock in .Alternatively ,and possibly easier,is to find the wire that becomes live when key is inserted into steering lock and attach to this wire.From memory i think it is a brown with red trace cable.hth
Latest Forum Posts