Technical Car/Motor Issues > Which aftermarket discs come pre-painted? Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: - Replies: 12

Which aftermarket discs come pre-painted? - -
This applies to any make of car really.

Aftermarket brake discs, some come with the non friction surfaces painted as found on good quality OE parts.
ok so it's possible to give 'em a coat of hammerite when you fit them and i do but makes life much simpler if they're already done.

Which brands come pre painted please chaps, so i can keep a mental note for when i next need to get some.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 2 Apr 10 at 00:14
 04 2.0D Any make/model aftermarket discs part pain - bathtub tom
The last aftermarket discs I fitted came with the friction surface coated in some stuff and the instructions (pictures, no words) indicated you left it to the brake operation to remove.

What's that all about?
 04 2.0D Any make/model aftermarket discs part pain - -
Never seen that Tom that i'm aware of and i usually clean them off with proper brake cleaner chemical before fitting anyway.

When it was easy to get Ferodo pads and shoes in better factors the pads would come with a very abrasive initial finish that would deglaze and clean up the discs a treat.
Ferodo don't seem to offer normal replacement pads any more or if they do i can't find them, sporting and race applications yes.
 04 2.0D Any make/model aftermarket discs part pain - L'escargot
>> What's that all about?
>>

Corrosion protection during storage?
 04 2.0D Any make/model aftermarket discs part pain - Number_Cruncher
Genuine MB discs come painted with a light coat of a grey paint like substance, which you leave in place, allowing the brake pads to remove it during their first applications.

However, I don't see the need or reason to paint the discs at all. Their function isn't affected by the non-working surfaces at all.
 04 2.0D Any make/model aftermarket discs part pain - -
No reason other than rust on the unswept part of said disc looks so dashed unsightly through clean alloy wheels NC.

Kinda pleased when i wash the old girl and the hammerited (5 or 6 years ago) calipers and hub area of the discs still show that lovely clean sheen of black paint instead of rough rust and ingrained salt staining.

04 2.0D Any make/model aftermarket discs part pain - madf
When I fitted new disks to the Yaris I painted the non OE new ones with black smooth Hammerite :- the non friction surfaces of course.

looks so much better through alloys..

But then I am sad as I paint the front calipers and rear drums black as well....
 Which aftermarket discs come pre-painted? - Robin the Technician
Hi,
The product you refer to is called 'Dacromat' coating. The company I work for used to have loads of truck drums & discs delivered from the manufacturer in France. These were coated with Dacromat. It prevented rust and helped to bed the new shoes or pads in. After a few applications the coating would disappear but by then everything had bedded in nicely.

Hope this helps

Robin the Technician
It's not the Dacromat coating i was referring to RtT, but nice to know the name for it just the same, many thanks i've learnt something handy...does it stay on the unswept part of the disc/drum over time as a paint or does heat burn it off?

I was looking for aftermarket discs that are usually painted grey around the hub and right out to but not on the friction surfaces which are normally lightly greased.
Most aftermarket stuff is just greased lightly unpainted and rusts quickly and looks most unsightly unless you have time to Hammerite them before fitting...not always feasable as unless you are 100% sure the replacements are correct you can paint them till you're sure of fitment.

I've seen aftermarket painted so i know they exist i just wanted to know which brands, still if the Dacromat coated ones are rust resistant in use then thats ok too.
 Which aftermarket discs come pre-painted? - Robin the Technician
Hi,
The Dacromat coating does stay on the parts not affected by friction. It's quite handy for future removal as you don't have a bare metal to metal contact that sometimes makes removal difficult.

Robin the Technician
 Which aftermarket discs come pre-painted? - Number_Cruncher
I like Dacromet coatings as they are free from the problem of hydrogen embrittlement which can be a cause for concern when specifying coatings which are applied by electroplating, however, in my current work they aren't allowed as they aren't compatible with high vacuum applications.

>> Hi
>> The Dacromat coating does stay on the parts not affected by friction.

Ah much obliged, noted for future.
 Which aftermarket discs come pre-painted? - crocks
I bought some Pagid discs from eurocarparts.com to fit to my Focus this weekend.

They arrived today and look like they have been sprayed with silver paint. However the instructions say not to remove the coating and the brochure says the coating "provides long-lasting protection against corrosion".

I assume this is similar to, if not actually, Dacromat.

I'll keep an eye on how it weathers and update later. If you want to know at any time, gb, just resurrect this thread.
Latest Forum Posts