Technical Car/Motor Issues > Vauxhall Astra H - 05 1.7 fault code
Thread Author: tyler Replies: 13

Vauxhall Astra H - 05 1.7 fault code - tyler
HI I have a problem my left hand front indecator dose not work , bulb and holder are ok . Have used a fault code reader , the code is B0530 , when I clear fault it comes back . Have fited new head light which inclueds bulb holder it did start to work after fitting but after 10 to 20 flases it looked like it was hesertating now has stopt working , the rear and side still work .
 Vauxhall Astra H - 05 1.7 fault code - bathtub tom
I've no idea what that fault code translates as, but I'd be looking at the earth connections around the front LH lights.
 Vauxhall Astra H - 05 1.7 fault code - carmalade
The front indicators on these are controlled by the UEM,(underhood electric module)which is the front relay fuse/box.As the system is can controlled ,it can detect open/short circuits and shut down power to the faulty lamp.I would make sure all the connections to the headlight and the contacts inside the light are good and clean.hth
 Vauxhall Astra H - 05 1.7 fault code - tyler
No luck so far. Is there some think i can test in the UEM,could it be just a relay ? . I have checked the plug to the light unit , I have also taken out the UEM and checked the conections look ok could this come down to changing the fuse box ?
 Vauxhall Astra H - 05 1.7 fault code - carmalade
There are no relays on the indicator system.the lights are switched electronically from the uem.You will need to check the wiring from this to the front lamp circuit.It could be a fault with the uem ,bit a new one will need coding to the car.hth
 Vauxhall Astra H - 05 1.7 fault code - Number_Cruncher
This may be completely unrelated, but, has your car been in for the CIM recall?

Vauxhall Astra H - 05 1.7 fault code - VxFan
I thought the recall was for a horn problem, whereby it didn't work with the lights on?

www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2010/04/horn_doesnt_warn.html
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 20 Jun 11 at 10:31
Yes DD, but, the horn problem is related to a bad connection in the CIM.

As the CIM is the very heart of the CAN system on these cars, making sure this bad connection is fixed would definitely be high on my list of things to do on any Astra H with a body fault code.

Fixing the CIM problem is free to the car's owner - the fix itself costs pennies - the figures of £200 on the Watchdog site are not correct.

As the CIM fix is dirt cheap and quick, in my opinion, it's a sensible thing to have out of the way and fully eliminated before spending real money on headlamps and control units.
NC, as I understand it, the repair is basically fixing a clamp or clip to the CIM to reduce vibration.
 Vauxhall Astra H - 05 1.7 fault code - Dave_
You didn't get all these problems with Lucas electrics in the 70s.

;)
>> NC, as I understand it, the repair is basically fixing a clamp or clip to
>> the CIM to reduce vibration.
>>

AFAIK, it also includes applying some force to the connectors, to help them stay in contact - it's not a particularly subtle fix.

As you correctly say, it's extremely unlikely to fix the OP's problem, but, .....

What does the reported trouble code actually translate to? I don't have access to my PC with TIS on it at the moment.
A google of B0530 = either LH turn signal circuit malfunction, or Fuel Level Sensor Stuck (personally I'd go with the former one)

As with computers when they don't work properly, a reboot often does the trick. Has the OP tried disconnecting the battery for ½ hour to see if it will reset the ECU?
>>LH turn signal circuit malfunction,

Only the current can be sensed at the controller, so, the check would be to see if the current to the lamp is noticeably higher or lower than the other side.

Assuming no access to Tech 2;

One way to find out what's happening is to clear the codes, disconnect the LH and RH circuits from the controller and replace them with appropriate resistors. If the fault code is set on the LH, but not on the RH, then, the fault is in the controller.

If the fault is set on both sides, it means the resistor wasn't the right size. To size the resistor, check the current in and the voltage across one disconnected circuit when the lamps are on, and use Ohm's law to choose a resistor.

"Flashing" may be checked by checking the voltage across the resistor.

If no faults are set when simulating the circuit with resistors, the fault lies in the connections and wiring between the controller and the bulbs, including the bulbs.
 Vauxhall Astra H - 05 1.7 fault code - Victorbox
Having been shown at the dealer the plastic clip they force onto the CIM contacts to keep them together I would say 20p max to Vauxhall plus 15 minutes labour charge whilst the Vauxhall "mechanics" ruin your steering wheel cowl plastic (scratched) and alignment taking it on and off! Tip: take off the two screw cap plastic covers (visible when you rotate steering wheel right and left) and gently prise out the plastic ignition lock surround before you take it in to minimise the damage/lost bits.
Latest Forum Posts