Technical Car/Motor Issues > Volkswagen Sharan - 05 1.9 Aircon Issues
Thread Author: mikeyb Replies: 9

Volkswagen Sharan - 05 1.9 Aircon Issues - mikeyb
Noticed that the Aircon in the sharan appears to have given up the ghost.

Its never been serviced in 5 years, and its not been that cold over the last year or two, but the compressor was still cutting in, however, although the dash light still comes on the compressor no longer engages.

Is it worth spending fifty quid and letting kwikfit regas it, or is it likely to be something else?
 Volkswagen Sharan - 05 1.9 Aircon Issues - Skoda
Dave put some good posts on this thread --> www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?f=1&t=924

Unfortunately, most systems work very well until the break (or leak) completely. It's very very rare that they have a residual loss over a long period of time, such that the system is empty. I know everyone talks about the 'normal' 10% (or whatever) loss each year, but in practice is never happens. If you have no (or very little) gas left, then it's 99.9% certain there's a leak, and any replacement gas willsimply go the same way, and usually fairly quickly. No fancy machines with print outs change this.

Seems fair to me, makes sense.
 Volkswagen Sharan - 05 1.9 Aircon Issues - VxFan
>> Is it worth spending fifty quid and letting kwikfit regas it?

If they find a leak, they won't charge you a penny.

I've also heard that if the AC fails shortly after refilling, they'll either try again (for free) or offer a refund.

If the latter is true, then it's a no brainer. Get them to attempt to refill it.

EDIT. see the section at the bottom of the following link:-

www.kwik-fit.com/about-air-conditioning.asp

Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 2 Jun 11 at 21:16
 Volkswagen Sharan - 05 1.9 Aircon Issues - carmalade
The sharan/galaxy/alhambra model variants are probably the #1 most unreliable a/c system around.They all suffer with numerous leaks on the pipework and condenser radiators.Compressors are another problem area.Even when the system is working to spec ,the cooling output is pathetic for such a large car.Certainly worth getting the gas charge checked,but I doubt if it will end there.Also don't forget thr pollen/cabin filter,a real pig to change.hth
 Volkswagen Sharan - 05 1.9 Aircon Issues - mikeyb
Thanks - think I will chance the kwikfit route first off to se if i am luck with a quick fix. Car has been faultless for the 5.5 years we've had it so if it is something more serious then so be it.

Also fair point about the ouptut - I never remember it being that good, but now the sun is out the kids are grumbling about it being to hot in the car to go out :-)
 Volkswagen Sharan - 05 1.9 Aircon Issues - Injection Doc
Carmalade is quite correct ! these can be trouble some.
The KF route is a no brainer, but if it turns out that it needs a compressor, the whole system will need dismantling and flushing off the vehicle !
What happens is the compressors disintigrate and tiny particles work their way along the pipes up to the control valve.
If a new compressor is fitted without the whole system being removed and cleaned the new compressor WILL fail quite shortly afterwards.
These systems also suffered from compressor flooding casuing hydraulic damage, caused by when they are filled they must be half filled then started and run for couple of mins before finishing the fill.
I sued to remove the HP pipe from compressor to the control valve and flsuh with a cleaner onto a blue cloth, allow the cleaner to evaporate and then inspect the blus cloth for sparkly metal bits ! if they were there it meant compressor damage!
 Volkswagen Sharan - 05 1.9 Aircon Issues - Roger.
Don't attempt to change the pollen filter yourself!
I just did.
I managed to get the filter out but was quite unable to re-fit it!
Red-faced I went to our local garage who did the job for me.
I felt somewhat vindicated, however as it took three mechanics 45 minutes to put it all together again!
They did have to remove the wiper bits and bobs though. The book time for R & R is 30 minutes!
They only charged me £20 though- I think they were a bit red-faced, too.
 Volkswagen Sharan - 05 1.9 Aircon Issues - VxFan
Puravent reckon it takes 15 mins

www.puravent.co.uk/filters/display_filter.php?id=154&part=M2140
 Volkswagen Sharan - 05 1.9 Aircon Issues - Roger.
Just let THEM try it!
 Volkswagen Sharan - 05 1.9 Aircon Issues - Dave_
>> Don't attempt to change the pollen filter yourself!

>> They did have to remove the wiper bits and bobs though

Um, did you read the instructions first? On a lot of VAG cars from the early 00s the procedure involves taking the wiper arms and scuttle panel off, which is awkward but not difficult.
Latest Forum Posts