Technical Car/Motor Issues > Ford C-MAX - 04 2.0 Intermittent starting problem
Thread Author: Mike Hannon Replies: 11

Ford C-MAX - 04 2.0 Intermittent starting problem - Mike Hannon
My pal has a fairly early C Max diesel and it has begun to give starting problems when hot. Sometimes, but by no means always, when it is hot it won't start but if fine again if given half an hour to cool down. As you can imagine, this can be embarrassing. He is disabled - or motionally challenged or whatever you're supposed to call it these days, so he can't push it.
Has anyone come across this problem? Might it be a sensor of some sort?
 Ford C-MAX - 04 2.0 Intermittent starting problem - Zero
well its not glow plugs then!

Compression or poor injector spray is fav here

Compression could just be worn engine or valves. If it has hydraulic valves better oil may clear it. As for injector spray, they could be worn or clagged, try some injector cleaner.

How many miles has this beast done?
 Ford C-MAX - 04 2.0 Intermittent starting problem - Number_Cruncher
I would begin by looking at the output from the crankshaft position sensor while cranking, and the fuel pressure while cranking.

Ford C-MAX - 04 2.0 Intermittent starting problem - swiss tony
Id agree with NC, Crankshaft sensor is my bet.
 Ford C-MAX - 04 2.0 Intermittent starting problem - Old Navy
>> well its not glow plugs then!
>>
Glow pugs are not required to start a common rail diesel engine in good condition at normal UK temperatures. Below -10C they help. They stay on for a short period after start to reduce initial smoke and emissions.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 24 Jul 11 at 21:30
 Ford C-MAX - 04 2.0 Intermittent starting problem - Victorbox
Not the same car I know, but my daughter's Corsa B had exactly the same symptoms a few weeks back during the hot weather and I took a stab at replacing crankshaft sensor as it was one of the cheaper options. It's been fine ever since.
Sorry I haven't updated - had the family here and whoever said having a young family is like having a bowling alley installed in your head was right.
I'll have a word with my pal asap.
 Ford C-MAX - 04 2.0 Intermittent starting problem - Jackd
Hi, have just seen you fault with the C-max, my C-max is doing exactly the same thing. Did you manage to get it sorted because I would be very interested. Have been in the garage several times and still not sorted.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 20 Jun 11 at 01:15
 Ford C-MAX - 04 2.0 Intermittent starting problem - Dave_
Hot starting problems are usually down to fuel vapourisation, aren't they? Looking at a couple of other forums, a short-term cure when it happens is to cool the injection pump with either cold water from a hosepipe or a bag full of ice-cubes or frozen peas.

Possibly time for a pump rebuild with new seals :(
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Mon 20 Jun 11 at 20:47
 Ford C-MAX - 04 2.0 Intermittent starting problem - madf
When hot, the wires in dodgy sensors expand and circuits don't work. Cool down and OK again..
Cheapest and simplest option first...
 Ford C-MAX - 04 2.0 Intermittent starting problem - AnotherJohnH
>> Hot starting problems are usually down to fuel vapourisation, aren't they?

With diesel?

It must be * hot to do that.
Update: it's in having the sensors investigated. No solution yet.
Latest Forum Posts