Technical Car/Motor Issues > Honda Accord Tourer - 04 2.2 Whistling noise
Thread Author: Mapmaker Replies: 19

Honda Accord Tourer - 04 2.2 Whistling noise - Mapmaker
Accelerating sharply from about 30-40 in 2nd, a quiet whistling noise. Bloke selling the car says it's the injectors and perfectly normal. Is he right? Do modern Diesels whistle? (It's done quite a lot of miles.)
 Honda Accord Tourer - 04 2.2 Whistling noise - Zero
Broken Manifold or Turbo.

Never heard injectors "whistle"
Quick look round the net suggests it to be more likely to be a whilstling turbo which seems fairly normal.
 Honda Accord Tourer - 04 2.2 Whistling noise - Zero
The turbos start to whistle on VAG cars at about 40-50k, but go on for years.
 Honda Accord Tourer - 04 2.2 Whistling noise - madf
Bloke who is selling car is talking bull excrement. #

Sounds like turbo whine - in which case it will drive you mad when driving (at best) or be a foretaste of wear leading to failure (at worst).

As it only happens at speed, I rule out leaks in pipes etc.. but you could have a vacuum leak on a split pipe.

My Yaris turbo used to when a little but a full oil change with synthetic oil stopped it...

My advice is to walk away .. or get a large discount to cover the cost of a new turbo...

# which suggests he KNOWS he has a problem...

EDIT
As it happens under acceleration it sounds like bearing wear - run away.
Last edited by: madf on Wed 25 May 11 at 09:40
 Honda Accord Tourer - 04 2.2 Whistling noise - -
Having driven turbodiesls in trucks for many years, i've usually found that a vehicle you can hear the turbo spool up on at lower revs is generally running very well, with ample fuel being fed through to make the engine tractable, the opposite is usually the case too, no turbo whistle no power in many cases.

Not so easy to hear on common rail Diesel cars as the things are too noisy to hear the more gentle tones of a an indirect engine spooling it's trubo up.
Maybe the Honda engine is refined enough to hear this thoroughly pleasant, to me, sound.

My old Landcruiser for example, the turbo was just about the only thing audible in the 1300 to 2000rpm range, the Hilux CR Diesel was too noisy except at intial take off.
Similar pleasurable gentle turbo whine in old gen Cummins engined and Mercedes trucks, both of which will happily pull at almost full torque with accompanying turbo whine from 800rpm.

Can't hear the turbo in the C2 1.6HDi, engine too noisy or maybe the intake is well shielded, but it does come strongly on stream from 1500rpm.
Pity though as i find i drive to the sound of the turbo in many cases.

Honda Accord Tourer - A whistling diesel - Notdoctorchris
My own experience of a turbo that began to whistle was on a Nissan Terrano 2 where a leaking exhaust was allowing turbo noise to become apparent.
I could imagine that damaged or leaking pipework on the turbo could produce a similar effect.
 Honda Accord Tourer - A whistling diesel - DP
The turbo on my VAG PD (non-CR of course) whistles quite loudly as it spools up from about 1300 RPM, becoming a background hiss that fades as the revs build. Although quite loud, it is only audible from outside the car, or if driving with the windows open. Inside the car with the windows up, the turbo is inaudible.

A high pitched whistle from a turbo is normal. On a Renault forum I used to frequent, it was accepted wisdom that the sign of impending turbo failure on a Renault dCi, and other diesels, is when the noise becomes lower pitched, akin to the boiling of an old hob type kettle. Whining from a turbocharger is also generally bad news.

Last edited by: DP on Wed 25 May 11 at 10:00
 Honda Accord Tourer - A whistling diesel - Redfire
My 04 Accord saloon and my friends estate both had a slight turbo whistle from new.
 Honda Accord Tourer - A whistling diesel - Mapmaker
Hmm... So it may or may not be something wrong, but quite clearly the trader was talking rubbish.

Quotes from the net: "Enjoy the noise of your turbo, it's a part of the joy of driving a TD"
 Honda Accord Tourer - A whistling diesel - Bromptonaut
Can hear the turbo spool on my Xantia, a 2000/X model on 130k miles. Not sure the noise was always there but it's certainly been noticeable for many, many miles. My impression is that most TD's whistle to some degree, certainly other PSA HDi and VAG group cars I've travelled in show this 'feature'. Does seem to vary from vehicle to vehicle though.
 Honda Accord Tourer - A whistling diesel - Dave_
There's a definite whistle from my Mondeo's turbo - one interesting quirk is that it seems to raise slightly in pitch on the overrun. I think this is because the variable vanes are adjusting to give higher boost at lower revs.

Having driven some fairly rickety old 7.5 tonners in my time I'm well acquainted with GB's description of "driving to the turbo noise". I had a lorry turbo pipe break on the M1 once, which amplified the sound to air raid siren levels for the rest of the journey. No boost gauge needed there :)
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Wed 25 May 11 at 11:02
 Honda Accord Tourer - A whistling diesel - bathtub tom
Could you find another, identical one to test drive and see if that sounds the same?

Of course you may find two with the turbo on the way out. ;>)
 Honda Accord Tourer - 04 2.2 Whistling noise - Manatee
The Honda i-ctdi is known for the whistling turbo. My CRV did it for 95,000 miles.

That doesn't rule out another fault, but the whistle isn't indicative of one in itself. I think HJ even commented on it when he tested one.
 Honda Accord Tourer - 04 2.2 Whistling noise - Londoner
The sign that my turbo was on the way out was when it started making a sound like that of a police car siren, as if heard from a distance. It was faulty bearings allowing the turbo blades to brush against the inside of the casing.

I don't mind a turbo whistling, provided it doesn't whistle like Roger Whittaker.
Anyway (as I'm sure you're all dying to know) it failed the MOT that I'd asked for (having under six months left*) - requiring new front bushes at £450 (each?) which the trader isn't desperate to spend. Coupled with very occasional noise from a rear brake whilst not braking and a need for a new front number plate and rear bumper, it probably failed the "buy on condition" test so it's back to autotrader.

"No it doesn't. Yes you can."
"OK"
 Honda Accord Tourer - 04 2.2 Whistling noise - Dog
>>* "Nobody's ever asked me to do one of those before."
"Well, I'll pay your asking price if you do it."
"But you cannot do one before 11 months are up, it says so on the certificate."
"No it doesn't. Yes you can."
"OK"<<

Similar thing happened to me recently, I viewed a car and the MOT only had 2 months to go,

i said "get it MOT'd, I'll pay for it, and give you the full (fool?) asking price",

Never heard from them (her) again!
 Honda Accord Tourer - 04 2.2 Whistling noise - DP
There is no good reason for a car to be sold with a short MOT, unless it is a heap that needs money spending on it to pass another one, IMHO.
It costs fifty quid and half an hour of your life to get a year's ticket on any roadworthy car, adds considerably more than that to the value, and makes for an easier sale with less ammo for the buyer to knock you down with.
I treat all cars offered for sale with short MOTs as suspicious.
 Honda Accord Tourer - 04 2.2 Whistling noise - madf
I treat any garage selling cars and not offering 12 months MOTs as crooks. Period. So don't look at their cars.
 Honda Accord Tourer - 04 2.2 Whistling noise - Roger.
"I don't mind a turbo whistling, provided it doesn't whistle like Roger Whittaker."

or Whistling Rufus (Chris Barber number!)
Last edited by: Roger on Mon 20 Jun 11 at 19:48
Latest Forum Posts