Technical Car/Motor Issues > Volkswagen Touran MPV - 05 1.9 Rear bulbs Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 9

Volkswagen Touran MPV - 05 1.9 Rear bulbs - zippy
Hi All,

Wife's Touran's rear bulbs keep going.

First Nearside rear light
Then Offside rear light
Then Nearside rear brake light
The Offside rear brake light
The Nearside rear light.

Seems odd that its nearside then offside.

All of this is within the last 3 weeks.

One of the offside lights was dim for a while.

Any ideas or is it just an unlucky run?

Thanks
 Volkswagen Touran MPV - 05 1.9 Rear bulbs - VxFan
Have you checked the voltage at the bulb terminals?

Does the glass of the bulbs have a metallic or sooty appearance? If so, then the voltage supplying them is too low, causing the filament to carbonise and age prematurely.

Also, are you buying the bulbs from the same source? If so, then try buying elsewhere.

Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 19 Apr 11 at 00:49
 Volkswagen Touran MPV - 05 1.9 Rear bulbs - Bellboy
are your shockers shocked?
 Volkswagen Touran MPV - 05 1.9 Rear bulbs - Dave_
How long are the numberplate lights lasting? The Octavia estate used to eat those, as well as brake and tail lights - I put it down to slamming the tailgate too hard and jolting the bulbs, weakening the filaments.

Although your Touran is 6 years old, and it could just be time for all the original rear bulbs to start going - coupled with a greasy fingerprint on the first one you changed, causing it to blow again quickly.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi {P} on Wed 20 Apr 11 at 08:49
>> coupled with a greasy fingerprint on the first one you changed, causing it to blow again quickly.

Shouldn't make any difference, other than to halogen headlight bulbs, which run considerably hotter than indicator / side / brake / reverse & numberplate lights.
Number plate ligths are fine at the mo (fingers crossed).
Thanks for all your replies.

I will have a look for metalic residue or sooting when the next one goes. (I wont look before hand as I dont want to tempt fate!)

If the voltage is low then would that relate to an earthing problem? How does one go about fixing it?

Thanks again!
>> If the voltage is low then would that relate to an earthing problem? How does
>> one go about fixing it?

Could be any number of things. If it is an earthing issue, then other lights in the cluster may well light up dimly or brighten/dim in rhythm with the indicators if they're on at the time.

I'd start with cleaning the metal lugs that make contact with the bulbs.
 Volkswagen Touran MPV - 05 1.9 Rear bulbs - Zero
05 tourans are an electrical nightmare. Mine had a mind of its own.

Just take the clusters out (using that stupid effin bent metal thing to get the shroud off) but mind - the screws rust in place and break off the thread inserts, and clean all the bulb holders and plug pins.

Never did find out why mine turned off the offside dipped headlight every third week of a month with an r in it. Or why it turned on the brake lights overnight when it dropped to less than 5c.
 Volkswagen Touran MPV - 05 1.9 Rear bulbs - Alanovich
Our 2004 Touran used to get through rear bulbs - there was one to change almost every week, from about 6 months old. No idea why, but I think it's a common problem.

We had bought the car brand new. We solved the problem by buying a 2008 Touran, which never blew bulbs. ;-)
Latest Forum Posts