Technical Car/Motor Issues > Volkswagen Polo IV - 06 1.2 Clicking brake relay Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Snakey Replies: 14

Volkswagen Polo IV - 06 1.2 Clicking brake relay - Snakey
My 2006 Polo has just recently started to make a noticeable 'click' when pressing and when releasing the brake pedal. It comes from the dashboard, around the drivers footwell area.

I assume it the relay working, but in 4 years of owning the car its the first time I've noticed it making a noise. The brake lights work fine which is what I guess the relay is for.

Does a 'noisier' relay imply impending failure, or could the clicking be something else?
 Volkswagen Polo IV - 06 1.2 Clicking brake relay - carmalade
There is no relay for the brake lights unless its an auto with the shift interlock system.Could be the switch on its way out .Probably the most unreliable component ever fitted to a Vw.
 Volkswagen Polo IV - 06 1.2 Clicking brake relay - Zero
Usually they fail ON, draining your battery over night.
 Volkswagen Polo IV - 06 1.2 Clicking brake relay - Bellboy
the backing plate for the pedal box might be stress cracking
Its definitely a very relay-like light clicking. On as soon as you touch the brake pedal (just enough for the brake lights to come on) and off as soon as you lift off.

There's no relay for the brake lights? Maybe its the pedal switch then.
Update.

There is a relay for the brake lights on a Polo, marked '489' and its the Auxilliary brake Light relay.

I've replaced the relay AND the brake pedal switch and the relay still audibly clicks! In fact, if you put your fingers on the relay you can feel it clicking.

I know relays click, but what on earth is making this click much more loudly than before! And thats a brand new VW relay as well. Very bizarre.
Forget it. Its all working as designed.

When it stops clicking - worry.
 Volkswagen Polo IV - 06 1.2 Clicking brake relay - -
Hasn't recently been in to the dealership for any work has it, possible updates loaded onto the ECU...my pick up was reflashed and there are numerous clicks that didn't exist before.
Hasn't been to a dealership for a while, out of warranty so serviced by an indie.

I know everything is working but its just odd that its started for no apparent reason!
 Volkswagen Polo IV - 06 1.2 Clicking brake relay - carmalade
I would be interested to know what doesn't work if you pull out the relay.I have seen loads of these and can't remember hearing any relay click when brake applied.Not auto is it?
Its a manual. When I pull the relay out, all of the brake lights stop working (including high level)
I will check Nicoles 07 1.4 polo.
Nicoles Polo makes a distinct relay click each time the pedal is pushed.
Zero,

Cheers for that info - oddly we've had the car 4 years and I've only noticed the clicking in the last few weeks.

As long as all the lights work I guess I'll leave it alone!
 Volkswagen Polo IV - 06 1.2 Clicking brake relay - aarondelaney
I've got a polo 2006 1.2. I too have noticed this exact clicking noise when applying or releasing the brake. standing or moving.

Please can someone explain what this is?
Latest Forum Posts