Technical Car/Motor Issues > Toyota Carina E - 95 1.6 Matching battery with alternator size Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Diamond Replies: 14

Toyota Carina E - 95 1.6 Matching battery with alternator size - Diamond
It seems I will be needing a new battery soon so am doing some research now on the best battery to buy.

I am interested in the silver calcium type, not strictly necessary for my car but I feel that they are good quality and have a five year warranty too.

The battery in my car at the moment is a Toyota brand 55Ah 510CCA and the alternator is rated at 70 Amps, the starter motor is rated at 0.8Kw. The car is an automatic.

What would be the biggest capacity battery I could fit using this alternator? I do not have air conditioning or anything fancy like that.

The nearest batteries that physically fit are a 52Ah 520CCA or a 61Ah 600CCA.

If I fitted the 61Ah would this put a strain on the alternator as I am not sure how to calculate something like this. I have read that installing a larger battery can make the alternator work harder if it is not up to the job.

Thanks.
Last edited by: Diamond on Thu 20 Jan 11 at 11:02
 Toyota Carina E - 95 1.6 Matching battery with alternator size - Dave
No need for calculations or max sizes, CCA or anything. Just visit your local Toyota dealer and say "please can I have a battery for my Carina E 1995 1.6". It will be good quality, the right size, will have the correct terminals, and the right CCA. If fact, it will probably be reasonably priced as well.
 Toyota Carina E - 95 1.6 Matching battery with alternator size - Skoda
I'd be inclined to buy after market these days too. Even though BMW supply good quality (honking great big) BMW badged batteries for their cars.

If mine ever needed replacing, it'd be one of the newer technology Varta Silver Calcium whatever 5 year guarantee jobs going in.

Just fitted one to the wee Golf and if nothing else, it brightens up the engine bay. Go faster stripes eat yer heart out :-)
 Toyota Carina E - 95 1.6 Matching battery with alternator size - carmalade
Battery size has no affect on alternator output.Fit the battery with the correct capacity ,or slightly larger,and the best quality you can afford.hth
 Toyota Carina E - 95 1.6 Matching battery with alternator size - bathtub tom
You're looking for a battery for a fifteen-year-old car.

How long do you expect the car to last?
 Toyota Carina E - 95 1.6 Matching battery with alternator size - -
Toyota (and MB) offer quality genuine batteries at very good prices, well worth enquiring at the parts desk and ask for a bit of discount, they can only say no.
I have always found the people in the parts dept of my local Toyota very helpful. I may well have a word with them on prices etc.

Bathtub - it may well be fifteen years old but there are years left in it yet!

No-one has answered my question yet, would putting in a battery a few amp hours more than at present have any adverse effects?
 Toyota Carina E - 95 1.6 Matching battery with alternator size - Zero

>> No-one has answered my question yet, would putting in a battery a few amp hours
>> more than at present have any adverse effects?

Yes they have, at 14:16
 Toyota Carina E - 95 1.6 Matching battery with alternator size - Bellboy
stick a banner battery in it
its a 16 year old coffin chaser
;-)
 Toyota Carina E - 95 1.6 Matching battery with alternator size - -
As for battery output, if there's room and the wallet will stand it i fit the highest power battery offered for the vehicle, usually the Diesel battery...or in case someone has a quip at my expense, the battery for the Diesel version of the model in question.;)

Dont forget to check all dimensions including height if going aftermarket.
 Toyota Carina E - 95 1.6 Matching battery with alternator size - Number_Cruncher
It's best, particularly if you do mainly short runs, to stick with the original battery capacity. The battery and alternator are sized as a pair.

When a battery is too large for the alternator, it tends to run at a slightly lower voltage than it should - only 0.1 or 0.2 volts lower, but, there is a difference. The other effect of a battery which is too large for the rest of the system is that the peak currents in both charge and discharge are higher - which means the large battery can overstress both the starter motor and the alternator.

Practically, if you are just going up one size, it's probably not going to cause any damage.

If this were my car, I would consult some reputable battery makers catalogues, find the recommended battery, and find a good quote.

Personally, I have always found the batteries supplied by Vauxhall dealers (they do a good range which fits more than just Vauxhalls) to be very good quality, and well priced.
 Toyota Carina E - 95 1.6 Matching battery with alternator size - VxFan
>> Personally, I have always found the batteries supplied by Vauxhall dealers

Rebranded AC Delco, IIRC. Yes, agree - very good and priced. Also come with a 3 yr guarantee.
Thanks Number_Cruncher, that was the info I was looking for, as I say, the battery at present is a 55Ah 510CCA, all the sites I have been to recommend around this figure, or even a little less. In the Bosch range there is a 52Ah or a 61Ah, I would rather go a little higher to the 61Ah, do you think this would have an adverse effect ie too large?

That said it now seems my battery is OK! I use a CTEK 3600 to charge it and a few days ago noticed that the orange charge light and green maintenance light were flashing very fast together. The cause either a dodgy connection or the battery is sulphated. I thought it strange as the battery reads 12.5v, the green indicator is there and starts the car fine. I never checked the connection part (I have the leads hard wired in).

This morning I hooked the charger up again and wiggled the connector where it joins the two wires together and the lights start flashing as I was testing this. I've tried to squeeze the crimp connectors in and all seems fine now.

A case here of ignoring the obvious!
 Toyota Carina E - 95 1.6 Matching battery with alternator size - Number_Cruncher
>>In the Bosch range there is a 52Ah or a 61Ah

Either would be OK.
Last edited by: Number_Cruncher on Fri 21 Jan 11 at 11:15
 Toyota Carina E - 95 1.6 Matching battery with alternator size - henry k
>>I am interested in the silver calcium type, not strictly necessary for my car but I feel that they are good quality and have a five year warranty too.
>>
The spec for my 98 Mondeo says a Silver Calcium battery is required.
IIRC from 98 onwards the charging circuit was changed to "match" that type of battery.

I would check to see if your alternator is designed for a SC battery .
If not you are probably wasting money and may not be getting the best performance from your setup.

I have always understood it is not a good idea to go for the fattest battery that fits on the " standardised for all models" battery tray. Many still proclaim big is better.
Latest Forum Posts