Technical Car/Motor Issues > Volkswagen Golf IV - 98 1.6 Replaced OEM rusted stud with bolt
Thread Author: Skoda Replies: 6

Volkswagen Golf IV - 98 1.6 Replaced OEM rusted stud with bolt - Skoda
I had a locknut rusted to a stud securing the plastic intake manifold to the head. undoing the nut brought the stud out... Nice.

Tried removing the nut from the stud (penetrating oil & double nut on the opposite thread) but no joy.

I've replaced the stud & nut with an M8 bolt I had a packet of, just random garden variety bolt, galvanised.

Am I setting myself up for a fall? I've never used anything other than manufacturer supplied fasteners but it's struck me a few times I'm probably giving myself extra cost for no gain.
 Volkswagen Golf IV - 98 1.6 Replaced OEM rusted stud with bolt - bathtub tom
Why not just replace the stud with the nut attached?

I tend to give a smear of copperslip to any thread I think I may have to undo again in the future, unless it requires a locking compound, or any other reason for not applying it.
Ahh, the nut came up a bit before it locked on the thread. With all my attempts to free it the thread is possibly damaged and I'd need to shim the gap with washers.
 Volkswagen Golf IV - 98 1.6 Replaced OEM rusted stud with bolt - Iffy
...I've replaced the stud & nut with an M8 bolt...

Don't see a problem provided the bolt is of a reasonable tensile strength - is it marked?

I think if the head is stamped '8.8' (nothing to do with the size) that indicates it's made from the right stuff.

And just think when a subsequent owner needs to remove the manifold, he'll be able to suck his teeth sharply and say: "Look at what some bodger's done here." :)
 Volkswagen Golf IV - 98 1.6 Replaced OEM rusted stud with bolt - bathtub tom
>>when a subsequent owner needs to remove the manifold

It's a twelve-year-old Golf!

Said the owner of a seventeen-year-old Pride.;>)
 Volkswagen Golf IV - 98 1.6 Replaced OEM rusted stud with bolt - madf
Typical bangeromics.

Compared to what I have encountered in the past, it's sound engineering.

For a start, you used a bolt with the correct thread!
Haha thanks all.

Latest Forum Posts