Technical Car/Motor Issues > Volkswagen Golf VI - 09 1.4 Brakes grinding
Thread Author: Snakey Replies: 2

Volkswagen Golf VI - 09 1.4 Brakes grinding - Snakey
My 2009 Golf is making a grinding noise from the brakes, only really noticeable at low speeds (i.e when pulling up to traffic light etc). Seems to be from the rear - but not any particular side. I've only really noticed this in the last few weeks. (maybe the radio's been on too loud!)

The cars only done 20k on the original brakes and I've checked visually and all 4 discs appear to be 'swept' so its not like one caliper is sticking. I've fitted plenty of brakes myself in the past but I've never heard them grind and not show an 'unbraked' area on the disc!

Question is, is it just VW discs, or the cold weather, or perhaps the damp & road salt making them sound louder? They appear to be working fine with no pulling to the side.
 Volkswagen Golf VI - 09 1.4 Brakes grinding - -
Think the only way to be sure is to remove the wheels and get in close for a thorough inspection, easy enough to whip the pads out on any suspects.

Might pinpoint the noisy one when you spin the wheels by hand whilst off the ground, possibly only a stone got itself lodged.
 Volkswagen Golf VI - 09 1.4 Brakes grinding - Snakey
I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and check them all! I'm surprised that a stone wouldn't have been shoved out by now.
Latest Forum Posts