Technical Car/Motor Issues > Chevrolet Lacetti - 05 1.6 Oil viscosity question
Thread Author: Stevek100 Replies: 6

Chevrolet Lacetti - 05 1.6 Oil viscosity question - Stevek100
Handbook says use SAE 10/30 for normal use with 5/30 for extra cold temperatures. Dealer has supplied 10/40W (Chevrolet dealer GM Oil).
Only difference I see is when the oil is hot is it will be slightly thinner.
Any comments appreciated. Or is this not even worth bothering about?
 Chevrolet Lacetti - 05 1.6 Oil viscosity question - Bellboy
for this country my book says it should have 10/30 semi synthetic so dealer wrong
basically the oil he supplied is ok so its up to you whether you go back
if it was my car it would get 10/30
 Chevrolet Lacetti - 05 1.6 Oil viscosity question - Victorbox
I can't think of one Vauxhall model made in the last eight years where anything other than 5W/30 fully synthetic GM longlife oil would be used by a Vauxhall dealer at service time tinyurl.com/38xvrrf
If they've used 10W/40 GM oil in your Chevy it's very likely it's semi-synthetic oil. tinyurl.com/33lveqd
It's not just the grade but type of oil - mineral / semi-synthetic / fully synthetic that counts as well.
 Chevrolet Lacetti - 05 1.6 Oil viscosity question - Bellboy
my book says semi synth which is why i would go middle of the road for this country and say 10/40
remember its an old daewoo somewhere under the skin not a gm product so the engine might be a real old design under the plastic bits victorbox :-) ?????????
 Chevrolet Lacetti - 05 1.6 Oil viscosity question - VxFan
>> I can't think of one Vauxhall model made in the last eight years where anything other than 5W/30 fully synthetic GM longlife oil would be used by a Vauxhall dealer at service time

10w/40 was recommended for the 1.6 petrol engines in the Astra-G, but 5w/30 fot the Astra-H. Not sure if the Lacetti engine is based on the 1.6 that was in the Astra-G or H model. If the former then 10w/40 semi synth will be ok.

Some of the boys and girls over on Vectra-c.com still use 10w/40 semi synth in their engines despite Vauxhall recommending using 5w/30 fully synth for all Vectra-C engines, but I think most change their oil more regularly who use the 10w/40.
 Chevrolet Lacetti - 05 1.6 Oil viscosity question - Stevek100
Thanks for all your replies and advice.
 Chevrolet Lacetti - 05 1.6 Oil viscosity question - Shiny
I think GM are finalising moving over to DEXOS 1 and DEXOS 2 for all cars old and new this year. You may as well just get DEXOS 2.
Last edited by: sooty tailpipes on Tue 11 Jan 11 at 20:52
Latest Forum Posts