Technical Car/Motor Issues > Citroen Xantia - 00 2.0 Heater Blower Stuck on Fast
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 6

Citroen Xantia - 00 2.0 Heater Blower Stuck on Fast - Bromptonaut
Driving along yesterday when heater blower shot up to fast and stayed there. Runs at full pelt irrespective of speed set, including off.

Haynes says that replacement is a fascia out job; beyond my capabilities and a lot of paid hours at the garage. Anybody out there with previous experience of similar faults or any shortcuts - breaking into the wiring and installing a suitable rheostat attached to outside of centre console was one possibility I'd considered.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 26 Dec 10 at 17:51
 Citroen Xantia - 00 1997 Heater Blower Stuck on Fast - Robin O'Reliant
I wouldn't worry for the next few months ;-)
 Citroen Xantia - 00 1997 Heater Blower Stuck on Fast - carmalade
This is a very common problem on this and other Citroen/Peugeot models that have similar heater units.The electronic fan speed controller has failed .Access requires removal of the fan blower assy as the electronic part sits in the bottom of the casing.This can be done without removing the dash.The motor sits behind the glove box and can be taken out from passenger footwell area.A new unit from dealer is around £80 ,but I'm sure It is available aftermarket for around £40.Try Euro parts.hth
 Citroen Xantia - 00 1997 Heater Blower Stuck on Fast - Fenlander
As carmalade says easy to get to and usually the speed control resistor at fault which is easily swapped. Done loads of these on Xantias a few years back.

Lie upside down in footwell with pass seat right back. Remove padding that sits above pass feet and blower is above you. Just a few screws to drop down blower as a unit... might be torx type.

This might help visualise it...

media.photobucket.com/image/changing%20xantia%20blower%20resistor/admiral51/my%20r%20reg/pollenfilterxantiar.jpg
 Citroen Xantia - 00 1997 Heater Blower Stuck on Fast - RichardW
You're out of touch FL since you moved onto these fancy modern motors! Xantias with AC use a pair of power transistors to control the fan speeds. They're integral with the blower and hence cost dealer ££££ to replace. If you're handy with a soldering iron however, they can DIY'd. There's a thread over on FCF ( www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22348 ) showing how to do it. The blower is easily removed from under the dash in the passenger foot well, and it's not that hard to split the blower to get the power board out.
 Citroen Xantia - 00 1997 Heater Blower Stuck on Fast - Fenlander
Ahh thanks for the correcion Richard. I must admit since I restricted my work to the odd oil change or set of brake pads I've found the info slips away so fast if you're not into things frequently.

Mind you when was that ever a barrier to a forum post :-)
 Citroen Xantia - 00 1997 Heater Blower Stuck on Fast - Bromptonaut
Thanks for the help guys. Car has air con but not climate. So it looks like a replacement blower motor?

GSF prices this at around £110+VAT and I should be able to fit it myself. OTOH I've got to pop the 'lingo into the garage later in the week so I might as well see what they can offer; they'll source SH parts for customers on request.
Latest Forum Posts