Technical Car/Motor Issues > Renault - Master van - 97 2.8 Diesel Vacuum Pump Failure Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sherlock47 Replies: 9

Renault - Master van - 97 2.8 Diesel Vacuum Pump Failure - sherlock47
A friends Renault Diesel Master van went 'bang' last week when attempting to start it and dumped large quantities of oil on the ground.

Garage correctly diagnosed a failed vacuum pump. Makes for interesting analysis - all 3 vanes have broken off at the root and then smashed the outer casing.

New pump fitted and then refused to start. The garage was at first mystified. My guess was broken timing belt - almost correct. The timing belt had apparently jumped 2 teeth on the injector pump. Timing on the camshaft was not affected so got away with no valve damage.

Is this a common failure? Google finds several pumps available and one posting of failure to start after replacing pump. I have not looked at the engine layout, how is the v pump driven?

Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 7 Dec 10 at 18:42
 Renault - 95 2.2 Vacuum Pump Failure - Dog
There's a certain builder (in Devon) who has mucho experience of these injuns, but he may miss thiss question.
 Renault - 95 2.2 Vacuum Pump Failure - MD
Not missed. Just 'ead scratching. Outa my league this one and outa my van thank goodness, but give me a mo' and i'll give you a name to call.

M
Right. I have scratched head.

www.electro-diesel.co.uk

However they are in Exeter so I don't know if this is any good to you my friend. Brilliant service and advice. I am sure that the guy to speak to is Neil, but I am poor on names.

Good luck........MD
 Renault - 95 2.2 Vacuum Pump Failure - sherlock47
MD Thanks for the contact - next time I am visiting Instow - virtual pint?

The garage have returned it, now running ok new timing belt and tensioners - no apparent damage. Total bill about £700 inc labour and new pump. Could have been a lot worse. It is a bespoke body - Luton like but with a a low loading floor and relatively low mileage, so scrapping is not really an option.
Best we have a real one, at the Boathouse of course.

Best reg's........Martin.
 Renault - 95 2.2 Vacuum Pump Failure - sherlock47
Just for the record, I got the engine details wrong - should be 2.8L diesel circa 1997. Just in case anybody elses Googles the thread.

Updated header
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 7 Dec 10 at 18:42
That's the Isuzu lump.
 Renault - 95 2.2 Vacuum Pump Failure - Injection Doc
fairly common an any diesel, these pumps often sieze or mositure in them freezes overnight & then shatter on start up ! usually they take the belt with them so guess this particular was lucky. Some pumps have a dog drive with a shear pin & your ok if the shear pin snaps as it saves the engine but then you can drive down the road before you find the pedal is rock hard & no brakes & have a prang anyway! so itehr way your snookered
Well that's quite cheery! I hope my Master doesn't freeze tonight as it's chuffing cold here.
Latest Forum Posts