Technical Car/Motor Issues > Nissan Almera - 03 1.5 Oil filters Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 11

Nissan Almera - 03 1.5 Oil filters - bathtub tom
I gave the car an oil and filter change this morning. I noticed the filter I'd removed had a different number to that being fitted.

I contacted the factors who confirmed I had the right filter, they'd supplied the wrong one last time! They explained it as a change around 2002 - I thought the engines remained the same, just the body having a facelift.

The new filter's a Fram PH4998. The old one's a PH5594A.

I'm curious as to the difference. I would've thought an improved oil filter spec would be retrospective.

I can only find a US website for Fram which doesn't list these filters.

Can anyone provide enlightenment?
 Nissan Almera - 03 1.5 Oil filters - Collos
www.fram-europe.com/site/FO/scripts/myFO_accueil.php?&lang=EN
Excellent, thanks Collos. Now why couldn't I find that.

The problem now is according to that site I've fitted the wrong filter. Different gasket, overall size and internal shape.

There's contact details, so I'll be asking them.
No problem
 Nissan Almera - 03 1.5 Oil filters - Dog
This isn't aimed at the OP, its for the benefit of others - don't muck about with pattern part oil filters,
for just a few pounds extra you can treat your pride & joy to an OE filter.
Fram get a rotten write up on Wikipedia
Last edited by: Collos on Thu 14 Oct 10 at 20:09
 Nissan Almera - 03 1.5 Oil filters - Dog
I used to use TJ when I was 'in the game' they were carp too.
 Nissan Almera - 03 1.5 Oil filters - VxFan
It's a shame Dave N's link doesn't work anymore in a thread he posted over on the other side

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=26116

There was a whole load of info on oil filters.

I think Dave N is here, maybe he can provide a working link, or still has the info that he posted?

I'll drop him an email and ask.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 14 Oct 10 at 21:18
 Nissan Almera - 03 1.5 Oil filters - Dave
Well I managed to find a few words that I wrote. It's only about 4 filters, even though I did about 7 in total, so these words are for the first 4 I think. I couldn't find the pictures unfortunately, so you will have to imagine. If I remember correctly, the other brands were Fram, some japanes company, and bosi (or something)

The bottom line is, there were a lot of differences between the different brands, with none showing any evidence of being made by the same manufacturer, despite what everyone claims. The OE came out head and shoulders above the rest in all aspects that I could see. Some (although not mentioned in the following words) were just plain rubbish. The best filter had more than twice the filter material area than the worst..

"Oil Filter Analysis"
I've often wondered if the higher price charged by the dealer for a common item like an oil filter is actually money well spent. Or does it make sense just to get any make of filter from the local factors, because they're probably all made by the same company, and save yourself a few bob as well?
As I do regular oil and filter changes on my Honda 2.3l engine, I recently decided to get an aftermarket filter from my local factor at the same time as I got my oil. The first thing I noticed was the size, much smaller than the OE filter, so I decided to open up a genuine filter and compare it to the innards of the aftermarket filter. I then also purchased two more filters and compared those as well.
Now it's fair to say I'm not a filtration expert, but I am an Engineer. So I've cast an Engineers' eye over things like the quality of the components, filtration area etc. As far as the actual filtration medium itself, unfortunately I don't have the equipment to measure things like particle size and pressure drop, so I've assumed that the more material there is, the better. And the thicker the material, the better. Don't forget, this is only my personal views and observations,
What is in a filter?
The really important parts are the filter itself, the anti-drainback valve and the bypass valve. The quality of the anti-drain valve is important, as it is this that retains the oil in the filter cannister and saves it having to be filled everytime the engine is started, reducing engine wear. The bypass valve is used to allow oil to bypass the filter element should it become blocked, or the flow rate becomes to great due to high oil viscosity (from cold starts) or high flow rates at high engine speeds. It is therefore important that it only allows oil to bypass when required and not during normal operation. The best material for the valves is silicone rubber as it has better thermal stability. Nitrile should be ok, but at low temperatures it gets quite stiff, and at higher temperatures can become very pliable. Metal on metal is not good for seals, as it simply doesn't seal very well.
CHAMPION

The Champion filter was reasonably priced (£6.99 from Halfords) and had the second best filter area. The cannister is reasonably thick and had a good quality crimp joining it to the end plate. The filter material appeared a little thin. A big negative though is that the anti-drain seal that sits against the backplate didn't seal very well, as the sealing surface isn't flat due to spotwelds on the backplate. Basically, the spotwelds have created depressions on the rear of the backplate, and it is against these that the seal rests. Another problem is the main filter seal is only a slight interference fit in it's groove, with the possiblity that it could be displaced when positioning the filter, prior to screwing it on, especially if it's a tight location. Seals were all moulded nitrile.
HALFORDS

The Halfords filter is reasonably priced (£6.29) but had the second lowest filter area. The filter material itself was also pretty thin, as was the cannister metal, and the main crimp looked a little lightweight. The anti-drain valve was a different arrangement to the other three, in that it was a floppy nitrile disc held in place by a spring disc. It appeared to offer a good sealing arrangement against the backplate. The bypass seal was nitrile rubber and is mounted in a steel end-plate (top left). The downside as I saw it, is the end-plate with bypass valve, and the anti-drain valve, are sealed only against the ends of the filter element, which are cardboard. The glue joining the filter element to the cardboard endplates didn't inspire much confidence, as it came apart easily. The main seal is only a very slight interference fit in it's groove, and would easily fall out or get misplaced when fitting.
BLUEPRINT

The Blueprint filter was the lowest prices (£5.61) and are available from many motor factors. Cannister and endplate construction was good, and the main seal was crimped to the endplate so couldn't be misplaced when fitting the filter. The anti-drain valve was moulded nitrile, and after a spell in the fridge was pretty stiff. The low points however, were the lowest filter area of the group, and the bypass valve that was metal against metal. As I could see light through the bypass valve when closed, I can only assume that it would let some dirty oil bypass the filter at all times, as well as allowing the dirty oil that should be retained in the canister when shutting down the engine to bleed through, thereby negating the effect of the anti-drain valve. Filter material looked and felt pretty thick though.
HONDA GENUINE

The genuine Honda filter was the most expensive at £11.39, and also nearly the largest. One big difference was the filter element itself, as it had both horizontal and diagonal pleats. This has allowed more filter area in the cannister, and the filter material felt good and thick. The anti-drain valve was moulded silicone rubber that retained it's characteristics at extremes of temperature. The bypass valve was also of good design, as it is a metal valve with a nitrile seal. The cannister was pretty thick, the crimp to the endplate was substantial, and the main seal was crimped in place so can't get misplaced on installation.
To give you some idea of the difference in filter area, here is the highest and lowest, side by side. Genuine Honda is on the left, Blueprint on the right.
 Nissan Almera - 03 1.5 Oil filters - VxFan
Dave, thanks for finding the info again and posting it.
 Nissan Almera - 03 1.5 Oil filters - -
Likewise thanks from me too for an interesting real report, confirms my suspicions about such things where the bits that matter (inside) are second rate but the bits that show look the part, the same can be found in all walks of life.

I'm a believer in OE oil filters if nothing else, the savings by going pattern usually amount to pennies.
Spoke to someone at Fram who told me it doesn't really matter which one I use, although he recommended the one I'd been fitting for years as opposed to the current one in the factors application list!
Latest Forum Posts